Fulbright 2019-2020

Chamkili

Hello All,

I'll be applying for a Fulbright ETA grant this year. I'm applying for one in Colombia. I am extremely nervous and feel like I'm running out of time to get everything together. are there any previous applicants who can provide any advice?

Hi everyone! 

I'm applying for an ETA position in Macedonia. Are any other ETA applicants not pursuing a career in teaching? I love working with students and I have a lot of experience, but I'm not studying education. I'm a little worried that this will hurt my application ?

On 8/1/2018 at 10:33 AM, Rp3669 said:

Hello all! I just made an account specifically for this forum. I am applying for an ETA this year and am very nervous/excited. I was curious if anyone knew what the language evaluation entailed so I could prep my language skills? For reference, I will be evaluated on Arabic. Any help is appreciated, Thank you! 

I applied a few years ago and included an Arabic evaluation with my proposal. I understood from my evaluator that a brief statement that you are capable of carrying out the work, have had x years of preparation, lived in the country, etc. is sufficient. I believe there are also some "button" questions to be selected, but I do not recall the specifics. Best of luck!

On 8/13/2018 at 7:49 PM, SarahMel11 said:

Hello All,

I'll be applying for a Fulbright ETA grant this year. I'm applying for one in Colombia. I am extremely nervous and feel like I'm running out of time to get everything together. are there any previous applicants who can provide any advice?

Hi friend! 

I am also applying for an ETA in Colombia. Last year I applied for a the binational internship program in Mexico and unfortunately didn't get it, but I've worked/been working with my university's Fellowship office and can possibly help answer some questions you have!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!
I'm a current PhD student interested in applying to the Fulbright program (research) next year. Hope you don't mind me eavesdropping to get a sense of what to start preparing.  Hoping to go to a French- or German-speaking Switzerland.

Several years ago I applied for a Fulbright in Hungary but was not selected. Hoping that additional research and work experience will help!

Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone, first time applicant here... thanks for having this forum

I had a question regarding at-large vs. applying through university. People consistently say that applying at-large gives no disadvantage, but is that really the case? I can't imagine why people would go through the interview process (and earlier university deadline) if the university conferred no advantage. What exactly does that evaluation do?

I've been rushing to get everything together for the university deadline, but am now leaning towards having more time/applying at-large. Anyone have any insight or experience with this??

Thanks much and good luck to everyone!

On 8/30/2018 at 4:15 PM, Jay_S1 said:

Hi everyone, first time applicant here... thanks for having this forum

I had a question regarding at-large vs. applying through university. People consistently say that applying at-large gives no disadvantage, but is that really the case? I can't imagine why people would go through the interview process (and earlier university deadline) if the university conferred no advantage. What exactly does that evaluation do?

I've been rushing to get everything together for the university deadline, but am now leaning towards having more time/applying at-large. Anyone have any insight or experience with this??

Thanks much and good luck to everyone!

Applying at-large is not a disadvantage in the sense that reviewers will not value one over the other when looking at completed applications. However, applying through your university is an advantage because your university will help make your application better. The interview and early deadline are designed to help you strengthen your application, and provide a sort of "practice" interview and "practice" application submission/review. The committee at your school will be knowledgeable about the review process and will give you feedback and ask you similar questions to ones that may be asked later on in the process (if your country does skype interviews). Applying at-large means you will be missing out on extra valuable feedback.  If you are worried about being rushed I would still recommend applying through your university because after your on-campus review you will be allowed to re-open and make changes to your application through IIE before your final submission. They don't always make this clear because they want to scare you into being as prepared as possible before you submit to your university (their comments will be most useful if you have edited everything to your best ability already) but the university deadline is NOT your final submission. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Applied as an at-large candidate for student research award to Romania. Nervous since I've been out of school for a while now and didn't have an institution to apply with.  It's actually my second time applying. Applied back in 2010, during my senior year of college and was a semi-finalist for India. Hopefully it'll go better this time! Also if anyone is on the slack channel, would you mind inviting me? Would love to connect to other applicants and cope with this crazy wait over the next few months. Anyway good luck everyone! 

Edited by gradient_ascent
cut off text

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Friends! 

This question mainly pertains to applicants in the Creative/Performing Arts category:

Has anyone received an invitation for a live audition from the National Screening Committee? It was around this time last year that they sent these invitations, so I wanted to see if they had already been sent (I'm a nervous wreck)! 

Thanks, y'all!  Best of luck with this round! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all,

The GradCafe thread for my application year was incredibly helpful to me when I applied to Fulbright. Just on this thread briefly to offer myself as a resource to any potential Malaysia ETA applicants. I had an amazing, marvelous, wonderful time in Malaysia and I would be happy to talk about the program there to anyone curious.

If you're not curious because you don't care about Malaysia, first: shame on you. Second: it's probably the best commission for ETAs out there, the level of support is unparalleled. They gave us a house AND a car AND a Fulbrighter as a roommate AND a former ETA as an RA-like figure to help us out! A CAR! Totally recommend checking it out, if you're looking for a place to ETA.

❤️ good luck to everyone!

• 1 month later...

Apparently it's France and some Switzerland and UK applicants. The email was posted in the Fulbright Slack two days ago. If anyone hasn't joined yet, here's the link :) 

https://join.slack.com/t/fulbright2019-2020/shared_invite/enQtNDU4NTc3MTg3MTA4LTY0YjI2NTNiODM4MWE0NDA2YmYyZDJkNjg2YzhhMjEzYTEyYThlMDIyNzQwMjM2ODQzYzBmNzU0ZWRjNzA1ZWY

Apparently the Slack link I posted earlier has expired. Apologies to anyone who tried to use it! I created one that never expires and hope you all join: https://join.slack.com/t/fulbright2019-2020/shared_invite/enQtNTEwNzQ0MTYyNTM0LTg1N2UyODYxZWIzMTFmMjg5NzgwN2E4MzYwZGQ2OTJkNmQyZGU1NDI2ZjliNWU4ZDYwY2RlMjY4OWI5OWQyZGQ