Hi! So i have been super stressed during this whole application process. I only applied to 2 schools because i didn’t have much confidence i would get accepted anywhere and i didn’t want to spend a ton of money just to get rejected. I got rejected from one school and waitlisted at LIU Post. Even though I’m trying to stay hopeful about Post, i know my chances are pretty slim. I have a 3.3 GPA but the way my grades are this semester it’s probably going to be around a 3.2? Am i even being realistic about applying? My GRE scores, recs, and essay are all pretty average so i don’t even really have that going for me. I wanted to retake some classes in the summer to try and boost my GPA, but my school does not allow you to retake classes for a higher grade once you’ve graduated. However, i could take them as a nonmatriculated student, but the grade would not replace my old one. Is it even worth it to do this? I was thinking of retaking anatomy because i got a C and I’m nervous because it’s a CSD course, but if grad schools wouldn’t even care then I’m not going to waste the money. Does anyone have any advice on ways to stand out more or any kind of back up plan? I’m so stressed that I’m not even excited about graduating. None of my family or friends understand because to them “i have good grades” (for any other major i would!) any advice is appreciated! And if you actually read this whole thing, thank you so much! 

Raise your GRE! Pay for Magoosh and study your butt off!!! Magoosh helped me raise my score almost 20 points (no they didn't pay me to promote it). Take a ton of FULL and TIMED practice exams in a realistic setting... this will raise your score and get you comfortable with the timing.

Second, contact the schools you're rejected from and ask them how you can improve for next time. Take their advice above and beyond. 

Work or volunteer in a related field so you have a lot of new experiences to write about in a personal statement and resume. MAKE THIS TIME OFF WORK FOR YOU.

It's not gonna be easy but if you really want to get into grad school you will need to work super hard to offset the GPA. Also, make sure you apply strategically next time to either smaller schools or schools that are less competitive (ASHA edfind is your bff). 

Best of luck to you!

My personal advice: I personally feel as if in one area of your application you do not succeed in, it is important to succeed in the others. For instance, I had really bad GRE scores (less than 300 total, and a 4.0 for analytical writing), however I had a really good GPA, strong letters of rec, research experience, wrote an honors thesis, will be graduating with highest honors, and have over 150 hours of undergrad observation hours, etc. etc.

So, similar to what a previous poster said, rather than try to retake classes that grad programs may not even consider when calculating your GPA, improve other things where you can. Study hard for the GRE, like intensely. Find somewhere to shadow with an SLP. 

So I knew I was a bad standardized test taker, and that I was not going to study for the GRE. So I made sure I did the best I could everywhere else, I knew I couldn't just do average with my extracurriculars. Yes, I was waitlisted at 5/6 schools I applied to and rejected to 1/6, but I was just accepted off the waitlist from my top choice yesterday! 

If you do have to reapply, be sure to communicate with either past professors or if your past school has a career resource center. Show them your past essays for the schools you applied to, and talk to them about how you previously applied to grad school but did not have the best GPA. Talk to them about what you did to improve your application and what may have caused you to have a lower GPA the first time around for the application process.

As far as a back up plan, you could become an SLPA, an ABA assistant, spend time working somewhere else such as a server while shadowing an SLP, take time off to reflect, work, travel, figure out who you are, etc. 

It'll all work out in the end. I would recommend applying to more than 2 schools in the future if needed if your application is not as strong. Try newer programs that may be out of state. 

Edited by slp25862be

3 hours ago, speechie510 said:

Hi! So i have been super stressed during this whole application process. I only applied to 2 schools because i didn’t have much confidence i would get accepted anywhere and i didn’t want to spend a ton of money just to get rejected. I got rejected from one school and waitlisted at LIU Post. Even though I’m trying to stay hopeful about Post, i know my chances are pretty slim. I have a 3.3 GPA but the way my grades are this semester it’s probably going to be around a 3.2? Am i even being realistic about applying? My GRE scores, recs, and essay are all pretty average so i don’t even really have that going for me. I wanted to retake some classes in the summer to try and boost my GPA, but my school does not allow you to retake classes for a higher grade once you’ve graduated. However, i could take them as a nonmatriculated student, but the grade would not replace my old one. Is it even worth it to do this? I was thinking of retaking anatomy because i got a C and I’m nervous because it’s a CSD course, but if grad schools wouldn’t even care then I’m not going to waste the money. Does anyone have any advice on ways to stand out more or any kind of back up plan? I’m so stressed that I’m not even excited about graduating. None of my family or friends understand because to them “i have good grades” (for any other major i would!) any advice is appreciated! And if you actually read this whole thing, thank you so much! 

Hi speechie510, I am an Audiology student who was like you in the beginning! I had a low undergrad gpa and low GRE scores and I got rejected from five schools and waitlisted on 2 and I just got accepted! So don’t give up!! You can do this!!

I would do research and look into smaller programs. I don't know what state you are in but in PA there are plenty of smaller schools that do not have as high of expectations academically than others do. So if you are considering reapplying after a year off, perhaps spend the year doing some shadowing or working in a related field to strengthen your resume. Look at programs on ASHA's website that are smaller and less competitive. Larger schools often have way more applicants to choose from so they can be more competitive.