Funding the move

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so please correct me if there's a more appropriate forum! I'm wondering how people have funded, or are planning to fund their moves if the offer they've accepted is quite a ways away. I'm moving from the midwest to the west coast in the fall, and I still have some work to finish up from my MA but have run out of my meager funding for the year so am living back with my parents. I'm working in the service industry as well, but I'm finding I need more time to dedicate to both finishing up my MA and preparing for my PhD in the fall (priorities, if possible), so I'm not going to be able to really work enough to fund the entire move. I also know that the first stipend can be a bit delayed, so I'm keeping that in mind as well. 

Basically, I'm wondering what people generally do in this situation. Credit cards? Bank loans (what are those, even)? Is it appropriate to email the administrator of my future department to ask about specific financial situations like this? For context, I can't borrow money from my family (they have none) and my stipend from my MA definitely wasn't enough to save anything, let alone really survive on ?

Any tips/suggestions on either how you've moved/plan to move OR how to appropriately email a department about moving expenses would be greatly appreciated. 

While the credit card or loan idea may seem enticing, it is one I try to stay as far away from as possible. I don't know about your program, but you probably won't have an additional income outside of it, and at least as far as I'm concerned, the budget/plan I've laid out is already cutting it close in regards to how much I'll actually be saving at the end of year. Point being, there is a high probability I won't be able to pay off that credit card/loan after my move (when my income is entirely my stipend). 

I took a year off just to work, and now have a nice savings cushion that I'll personally be using for my move and first months rent; however, the other grad students that are moving with me, many are going as cheap as possible (e.g. there are a lot just crashing couches for a little while till their stipend kicks in). My recommendation wouldn't be to take out money, but try and budget your move to be as cheap as possible (i.e. see if you can just crash a couch till your stipend kicks in, potentially carpool so don't have to pay for that, so your main focus would just be physically getting to the place your going to and food). Maybe only take the bare essentials like clothing for now, and move the rest of your stuff later once your stipend does kick in. Depending on where you move,  you could potentially bus it if you don't want to burden the persons couch your crashing for a ride or something. If you have basically taken the cheapest route possible, tried all other options, and you still don't have enough money, then take out a loan or use a credit card. But again, I would only use that as a last resort option. 

I'm literally just taking one carry-on bag worth and backpack worth of clothes and essential items (laptop, other necessary work items) for the next two months of travel/work that's conveniently funding my way to my final destination and my apartment. I've planned well ahead to have an apartment when I get into town and will just have my parents ship a few items (air mattress, a box of personal possessions) shortly before I arrive. I don't really want to be stressed with finding a place while I crash in a gracious student's apt, so planning ahead, even with a credit card, pays off more with your time/stress levels that you can use to prepare for school. After I arrive, I'll just buy the cheapest essentials (pan, some dishes, food, etc.) with a credit card until I can get my stipend.

So more or less following @samman1994's advice to travel and settle there as cheaply as your budget allows with some preparations ahead for where to stay when you arrive, whether it's just crashing on a grad student's couch or, if possible, reserving your apt ahead of time.

• 2 weeks later...

1) Definitely ask the program, the sooner the better.

2) I've moved between East Coast and Midwest.  Basically, I took whatever I fit in my parents' car  (clothes, cooking stuff, books) and slowly built up my apartment(s).  It'll be really basic at first but I know you will have a budget so you can eventually buy other furniture after the mattress.  With a PhD, you will definitely be around for a good while so whatever you buy will be of good investment :)

3) Stay away from credit cards and loans if possible.  Don't start your PhD with unnecessary debt.

I began saving when I began applying for schools. For about 18 months I saved for all the bloody standardized tests, the tutoring sessions, the books, the applications, the international plane ticket, the moving-in items, and the first two months living in my new place because stipends would not be out until mid-semester.