PHD Applicants: Fall 2019

dreams1214

On 2/13/2019 at 6:22 PM, cheesefries said:

Has anyone heard anything from UNC Health Behavior? I had an interview but haven’t heard anything since so I’m getting nervous ? 

I interviewed the last week in January and haven't heard anything either :(

I'm applying for the MPH-to-PhD but they told me it's the same process as the regular PhD. Which are you applying for?

3 hours ago, littletwelve said:

Hi, 

Does anyone hear back from Columbia? 

I spoke to someone on the admissions committee who said they were meeting today to make decisions (Epi). Hopefully we hear back soon!

Is UW, specifically Global Health - Implementation track,  sending out decisions yet? I saw on the results page that someone was rejected.  I know that visiting day is Feb 28 because they told people who were interviewing to mark it in our calendar and they will let us know more after interviews are over. Does anyone know when they would let us know? 

2 hours ago, pubhealth2019 said:

I interviewed the last week in January and haven't heard anything either :(

I'm applying for the MPH-to-PhD but they told me it's the same process as the regular PhD. Which are you applying for?

I just applied for PhD (I got my MPH a couple of years ago). I was interviewed the last week in January too. I was told it would be a couple of weeks before decisions were sent out when I asked what the next steps were, so we should be getting close...I'm getting nervous! Best of luck to you :)

Hey, did anyone who was at Yale Recruitment Day catch any info about when we'll hear back? Also, has anyone who interviewed with Pitt for BCHS still not heard back? 

Idk about y'all, but I am so, so ready for this admissions cycle to wrap up. I was really hoping to hear from those two schools this week, but alas, 5 pm EST on Friday has come and gone again.

37 minutes ago, apex45 said:

Hey, did anyone who was at Yale Recruitment Day catch any info about when we'll hear back? Also, has anyone who interviewed with Pitt for BCHS still not heard back? 

Idk about y'all, but I am so, so ready for this admissions cycle to wrap up. I was really hoping to hear from those two schools this week, but alas, 5 pm EST on Friday has come and gone again.

I believe Yale said approx 2 weeks. Hang in there! 

2 hours ago, apex45 said:

They said by the end of next week

6 hours ago, sg224 said:

I spoke to someone on the admissions committee who said they were meeting today to make decisions (Epi). Hopefully we hear back soon!

Did anyone have interviews?

On 2/14/2019 at 9:47 AM, gloriaepi2019 said:

Thank you for sharing! I think your background is truly impressive. I applied 10, primarily because I don't think my background is strong enough. For a person whose background is as strong as you, I think three is more than enough. 

Thanks! Hope everyone waiting on JHU finds out soon! Would be lovely to see you all at the visit day in April!

Anyone applied to the University of Iowa and interviewed there?  I received an interview invitation from the University of Iowa and I think it is a pretty decent program with ranking at the 17th right after Yale. If anyone could share any information regarding this program, I would appreciate that! And also curious about the ranking and reputation of the program at Washington University in St. Louis.

Hi all,

I have been a lurker for some time but thought I'd finally contribute my updates.

• Accepted: UCLA Community Health Science
  • Interviewed: Columbia Epi and Brown Epi
  • Most likely waitlisted: Hopkins International Health (GDEC)
  • Rejected: Harvard, BU, Michigan
  • Still waiting: UNC Maternal and Child Health, UC Berkeley Epi, NYU Epi

The Columbia faculty that interviewed me said that decisions should be released next week or early the following week.

Good luck to everyone!!

Edited by sleepycat123

Hi all!

Long time lurker, first time poster! Wanted to share some updates in case they were helpful!

• Accepted: University of Washington Health Services PhD (received a call from the program director earlier this week after having a brief Skype interview with them three weeks ago. Visit day is March 21 and 22)
  • Rejected: Harvard SBS PhD, UC Berkeley Health Policy PhD (was told earlier this week that they’re done reviewing applications and that decisions are being sent out mid-Feb to early March. My result was sent to spam, so check your spam folders)
  • Waiting: NYU SBS PhD, Columbia SMS PhD, Yale SBS PhD, Harvard MPH

My background: BA in Global Public Health and Sociology. Worked part time/interned three years of college in health research, two years of full time health research experience. GPA 3.5, GRE 165V 162Q 4.5W. Four published papers and completed an undergraduate thesis. 5 rec letters and pretty strong extracurricular activities. 

Really excited about UW because of their strong social justice mindset. However, I know they don’t guarantee funding (although the program director said they’ve never *not* been able to find funding for their students). This worries me—does anyone have insight into what this might mean for my PhD studies? Will I have to scramble to apply to multiple forms of funding each year/be at risk of paying tuition? 

Thanks in advance everyone! This forum has been super helpful for me. 

Edited by caf442

2 hours ago, KiwiMonica said:

Has anyone heard from Michigan following their interview day?

What program are you asking about? If epi, I haven't heard back yet after interview day. Some of the current students said that they didn't hear back until early March during their application cycle.

On 2/14/2019 at 8:30 AM, Epidem2019 said:

I believe it's for grad! I'm actually doing my masters there now and am scheduled to volunteer in another department! Hopefully I'll be able to be there as an attendee tho :)

Hi, thank you for sharing this information on UCLA Epi. Do you know whether they sent out the interview? I didn't receive anything after submitting the application  and I think I would be rejected but still want to know.

On 2/16/2019 at 7:46 PM, MMT2011 said:

Thanks! Hope everyone waiting on JHU finds out soon! Would be lovely to see you all at the visit day in April!

Received my rejection from JHU today. No regrets, having tried my best and have to admit that my background is not strong enough for JHU. Best luck of your study.

3 hours ago, Nairel said:

Hey there! Just to ask about the prospective students day at NYU. How was it? did they send all their decisions or acceptances already? still waiting though * sobs *

I was there, from my understanding they are only considering those they interviewed. I’m so sorry! Keep your head up though and best of luck.