Fall 2019 Applicants

WRS

8 hours ago, Bad Dreams said:

As far as I know, interviews are not that usual. However, some POIs like to have a conversation with their top applicants.

Some schools might have POIs interviewing independently. Some do no interviews as a rule. From what I know, the following schools have been interviewed candidates somewhat formally in the last few years: Yale, Hopkins, NYU, Stanford, Northwestern. Wouldn't say it's uncommon. But, grain of salt, etc.

9 hours ago, pedestal said:

Some schools might have POIs interviewing independently. Some do no interviews as a rule. From what I know, the following schools have been interviewed candidates somewhat formally in the last few years: Yale, Hopkins, NYU, Stanford, Northwestern. Wouldn't say it's uncommon. But, grain of salt, etc.

Agreed with this list, adding Penn. 

Guest tarsila89

Apparently UC Berkeley has also had some interviews (I believe POI independently asked for it). I wonder which professors are doing this, anyone  knows? Thanks. 

Hi everyone!

It looks like I'm a little late to the party but my internship supervisor just told me about this place and I definitely need people to commiserate with! These are the programs  I'm applying to and the POIs that go with them, I tried to have a mix of high ranking programs and solid midrange schools.

Berkeley (Todd Olson)

Penn (David Young Kim)

The Courtauld (Joanna Woodall or Esther Chadwick)

the University of Minnesota (Michael Gaudio), and

KU (Linda Stone-Ferrier).

I haven't heard  back from any POIs yet but I'm trying to convince myself not to worry since it's so early in the application process, though I know Berkeley has already begun some communication.

18 hours ago, CNord said:

Hi everyone!

It looks like I'm a little late to the party but my internship supervisor just told me about this place and I definitely need people to commiserate with! These are the programs  I'm applying to and the POIs that go with them, I tried to have a mix of high ranking programs and solid midrange schools.

Berkeley (Todd Olson)

Penn (David Young Kim)

The Courtauld (Joanna Woodall or Esther Chadwick)

the University of Minnesota (Michael Gaudio), and

KU (Linda Stone-Ferrier).

I haven't heard  back from any POIs yet but I'm trying to convince myself not to worry since it's so early in the application process, though I know Berkeley has already begun some communication.

Good luck! Its early and the holiday. Also, I wouldn't get wrapped up in the mid-range vs high range nonsense. A place may be a top 3 ivy, but if it doesn't have a scholar in your field, then its clearly not a top program for you. The one thing to watch out for would be funding. The "rankings" are often tied to how much funding they can give you as a grad student. I would only consider going to programs in the U.S that can offer a minimum of 4 years guaranteed funding with at least 15-20k a year (if in an affordable place to live) or 25-30k (if in a more expensive city). 

Guest tarsila89
14 hours ago, wanderjahre said:

Got an interview invitation this morning! (The app was due in Dec, but this is still surprisingly early...) Any advice for doing interviews? What kinds of questions should I expect? My field is early modern.

Congratulations! I guess it depends on the school, some do more formal interviews and others let your POI just basically speak to you about your research interests. In my experience the interviews have been pretty relaxed, a lot of questions about what I have researched before and what catches my interest for the future. The one interview I did in person the last time I applied for grad school (for my masters) it was a bit more intense because I ended up meeting with 3 different professors. But all in all they are just interested in getting to know you. Remember to prepare some questions for them as well, good questions about their research would help. Good luck!

On 1/3/2019 at 2:11 AM, wanderjahre said:

Got an interview invitation this morning! (The app was due in Dec, but this is still surprisingly early...) Any advice for doing interviews? What kinds of questions should I expect? My field is early modern.

Congratulations!!!! If after the interview you can share with us anything about the experience, I would very much appreciate it. Good luck! 

Guest tarsila89
On 1/3/2019 at 8:12 AM, Mazinha88 said:

Hi guys. Anyone here applying to any Canadian schools? I haven't found anyone who has and I'd love to share info about the cities, funding, interviews etc. This waiting period is so long, I hope we start getting some responses next month. 

U of Toronto, McGill, U of British Columbia, UC Berkeley

Applied, Interviewed, Accepted, Rejected

On 1/2/2019 at 7:11 PM, wanderjahre said:

Congratulations on your interview! I don't know if you've done the interview yet but I would recommend refamiliarizing yourself with all of your application materials, and be ready to talk about why you believe the school/POI is a good fit for you.  Also have some questions ready to ask them. My field is early modern as well, if you're open to it it'd be nice to chat about our specific interests and where we applied.

Guest tarsila89
21 hours ago, Bethwn said:

Has anyone applied to Emory? I noticed that they started to send out Visit Emory invitations out to people in the sciences. I’m curious to know if they have send any out for the humanities.

No, sorry. Have you guys noticed that all the art history related results disappeared from the submit results page? 

22 hours ago, Bethwn said:

Has anyone applied to Emory? I noticed that they started to send out Visit Emory invitations out to people in the sciences. I’m curious to know if they have send any out for the humanities.

I haven't applied to Emory but I've noticed a trend in results that the sciences get acceptances far before the humanities. Several of the schools I've applied to have been admitting to science programs for a month but don't seem to have even started interviewing for the humanities. We must just operate on a later timeline.

6 hours ago, Mazinha88 said:

No, sorry. Have you guys noticed that all the art history related results disappeared from the submit results page? 

It is very strange. If you search "archaeology," then many art history results would appear. With regard to the admission timeline, I think we can refer back to the "Fall 2018 Applications" topic. It seems that most of the results for PhD programs come out around mid Feb. Some schools are later, e.g. the IFA perhaps? Does anyone know whether Columbia and Penn normally conduct interviews? 

Guest tarsila89
7 hours ago, Bad Dreams said:

The results are back.

There are still results missing... 

Oh boy, I need a new hobby because updating the results page 5 times a day is not fun anymore haha

36 minutes ago, Mazinha88 said:

There are still results missing... 

Oh boy, I need a new hobby because updating the results page 5 times a day is not fun anymore haha

@Mazinha88 - can you PM me your search query? We are working on a bug and it would be helpful to know what queries are causing zero results.

Guest tarsila89
2 hours ago, TGCA said:

@Mazinha88 - can you PM me your search query? We are working on a bug and it would be helpful to know what queries are causing zero results.

Ok, I sent you a message. 

I just looked at last year's interview notifications for Emory. Last year they were sent on the last Wednesday of January, so a week after most of the other invitations were sent. This makes since for my area (I'm a pre-Columbianist) because we, at least those of us who could afford the trip (not me), are at the Meso Meeting in Austin.