Fall 2019 Applicants

WRS

On 10/21/2018 at 11:36 AM, WRS said:

It has nothing to do with your chances of getting in! Odds are, your POI is very busy. I would recommend sending a follow up email. I've had to do that a couple of times, and my POIs immediately responded to the follow up. In one case, it was a well-renowned professor from a prestigious University, and we ended up speaking on the phone for almost 40 minutes. 

I appreciate your response! She answered me a couple of days ago!

Are you interested in obtaining a fully funded Ph.D. in the Humanities with an emphasis on African American/Africana Studies? Are you looking for graduate training that emphasizes public scholarship, community outreach, collections-based research, and digital humanities? The African American Public Humanities Initiative (AAPHI) provides fully funded graduate fellowships for Ph.D students in History, English, and Art History in a five-year, 12month, cohort-based program.

http://www.afampublichumanities.udel.edu/

- DM me for more info. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm still in the thick of submitting applications. My proposed research is on artworks that visualize, model, and simulate the Anthropocene online and on broadly digital platforms from the 1960's onward. I'm applying to MIT, Harvard, CUNY, UNC Chapel Hill, and UC Santa Cruz. 

1 hour ago, DigitalHubris said:

I'm still in the thick of submitting applications. My proposed research is on artworks that visualize, model, and simulate the Anthropocene online and on broadly digital platforms from the 1960's onward. I'm applying to MIT, Harvard, CUNY, UNC Chapel Hill, and UC Santa Cruz. 

Are those it? You have to apply to UW-Madison. They have CHe/NElson and are huge for anthropocene studies. 

Guest tarsila89

hi.

i'm applying for a phd at the university of toronto and at uc berkeley. i'm concluding a masters right now. my focus is on art theory and philosophy of art.

9 hours ago, mrssalad said:

Anyone want to claim there Berkley interview update on results?

Are you asking whether people have received interviews yet from Berkeley? Because the deadline was so recently! I figure no one has even looked at those applications yet...

11 hours ago, sr8642 said:

Are you asking whether people have received interviews yet from Berkeley? Because the deadline was so recently! I figure no one has even looked at those applications yet...

No, I mean if you go under results (look above where people post when they have heard back), someone posted that he/she/they are having an interview with them.

7 hours ago, mrssalad said:

No, I mean if you go under results (look above where people post when they have heard back), someone posted that he/she/they are having an interview with them.

Oh I see now. Wow, so soon! 

On 12/5/2018 at 4:09 PM, mrssalad said:

Are those it? You have to apply to UW-Madison. They have CHe/NElson and are huge for anthropocene studies. 

Thanks for the recommendation! CHE/Nelson seems really fascinating, but there's no faculty member in the art history department I could make a compelling case for. And I'm not exactly in a position to drop a thousand dollars on application fees, so I'm trying to be strategic with where I submit my materials. Best of luck with Berkeley and your other apps!

19 hours ago, Bad Dreams said:

Does anybody know how the process for those schools with deadlines in December is? Will professors read writing samples in the break?

Most programs with December deadlines give "good news" in February/early March, and "bad news" in March/April. But it varies. 

On 12/13/2018 at 11:05 AM, DigitalHubris said:

This is the best one I've been able to find, but it's like 8 or 9 years old at this point... 

https://www.chronicle.com/article/NRC-Rankings-Overview-History/124737

This is old. Ouch! Out of curiosity I was looking at some of the top departments used on this list. I forgot how many retirements and deaths (sadly) there were since this list was made. I wonder how these might impact the department rankings. Brown got tiny. Mary Sheriff is no longer with us at Chapel Hill. Alpers and Clark retired from Berkeley. Fried retired at JHU. Steven Levine retired at Bryn Mawyr, just t name a few.

On 12/13/2018 at 11:09 AM, Bad Dreams said:

Are there any new rankings for the Art History programs?

I don't really think it's possible to rank Art History programs in the same way that you can rank, say business, law or medical schools. The sample sizes are too small and their are too many variables at play. Like for example... MIT is probably the "top" program if you were to go by placement and award stats alone, but it's a tiny program with an extremely limited faculty and accepts only one or two students a year. For the majority of AH applicants, applying there is probably not even an option.

As someone in the field, just going off of what schools are producing fellowship winners and successful candidates on the job market I would say that it seems like the "top" programs right now are (in no particular order) IFA, Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Penn, Chicago, Princeton, Berkeley and Stanford. Obviously people from other schools have success and get jobs and fellowships, but in general people from these schools seem to come out on top. 

Hi everyone! 

Does anybody know if interviews are usual during the application process for art history programs? If so, which schools are more likely to interview their top applicants? Since this information is not usually available on their websites, I thought it would be interesting to know...  

2 hours ago, ial said:

Hi everyone! 

Does anybody know if interviews are usual during the application process for art history programs? If so, which schools are more likely to interview their top applicants? Since this information is not usually available on their websites, I thought it would be interesting to know...  

As far as I know, interviews are not that usual. However, some POIs like to have a conversation with their top applicants.