Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

13 hours ago, sgaw10 said:

Maybe UT Austin, Duke, UW, or WashU? Just based on previous years' results

I noticed that almost all the early results are for domestic applicants. Is it usual for international applicants to get the decisions later than domestic students? 

2 hours ago, Athif M said:

I noticed that almost all the early results are for domestic applicants. Is it usual for international applicants to get the decisions later than domestic students? 

Maybe? Seems plausible, given that some international students have to Skype interview without having a chance to physically visit campus, and, of course, the whole funding issue. It's still early in the game, so I wouldn't lose hope yet.

11 minutes ago, gummybear9 said:

It looks like MIT already sent out their interviews. Three people on the results said they got an email yesterday ?

oh mannnnnn I can't wait.. I just want results.. be it rejected or not.. Now I'm getting more nervous! 

16 minutes ago, gummybear9 said:

It looks like MIT already sent out their interviews. Three people on the results said they got an email yesterday ?

oh mannnnnn I can't wait.. I just want results.. be it rejected or not.. Now I'm getting more nervous! 

Does anyone know if Columbia will take their time into deciding or are they as decisive as MIT? (I heard from someone at MIT that if you're invited for interview, you're basically set. eg 50 ppl got invited last year, and about 46 ppl got in) 

29 minutes ago, StHoly said:

Me too! I just need to hear back from somewhere. Unfortunately I think MIT at least does pretty late rejections, so I’m taking this as a soft rejection. 

7 minutes ago, gummybear9 said:

Me too! I just need to hear back from somewhere. Unfortunately I think MIT at least does pretty late rejections, so I’m taking this as a soft rejection. 

So it's like... ghosting...? 

37 minutes ago, StHoly said:

Does anyone know if Columbia will take their time into deciding or are they as decisive as MIT? (I heard from someone at MIT that if you're invited for interview, you're basically set. eg 50 ppl got invited last year, and about 46 ppl got in) 

Columbia is one of my top choices, and based on previous years it looks like it won't be for a couple more weeks until they extend offers. Apparently their decisions are highly research match-based 

4 minutes ago, StHoly said:

So it's like... ghosting...? 

Lol I think they tell you eventually - I couldn’t find any BE rejects in the results but other rejections were throughout March. I think they wait to see how many people accept their offer before they send out rejections

MIT is not Stanford in that they do not typically send out all of their interview invites on the same day. They trickle in a little bit. In 2016 they invited over a span of 3 weeks. Also, when you search for MIT's bioE program, use "biological engineering" since that is the actual name of the program and will yield actual results. You also need to spell out MIT's name since "MIT" is too short. 

2 hours ago, Victorious Secret said:

MIT is not Stanford in that they do not typically send out all of their interview invites on the same day. They trickle in a little bit. In 2016 they invited over a span of 3 weeks. Also, when you search for MIT's bioE program, use "biological engineering" since that is the actual name of the program and will yield actual results. You also need to spell out MIT's name since "MIT" is too short. 

That makes me feel a little better! I've been having a lot of trouble searching MIT BE so I ended up just searching Massachusetts Institute of Technology and looking at aaaaall the results so it wasn't easy to see when they were sent out lol

(PS Congrats on all those acceptances I see in your signature!!)

Quick question for those who have also applied for a MEng program at Berkeley:

Is the MEng Opportunity Grant entirely need-based? Its application can be found in the "M. Eng Programs" section of the application form. The description says "Students who are awarded grants must demonstrate financial need.  Special consideration is given to applicants whose background and life experiences contribute significantly to an educationally beneficial mix of students and enhance educational diversity." 

As I'm probably not eligible for any kind of need-based scholarship, I'm unsure whether I need to fill out the application for this or not...

44 minutes ago, StHoly said:

Congrats @sgaw10!!! Hope more interviews are coming to you! :)

Thank you. I was able to go interview outfit shopping yesterday. :D Maybe we will run into each other if we both get a chance to visit Columbia? I sure hope so!

This might be more of a results page thing, but I just wanted to share that I got an interview with 2 PI's!

I was feeling pretty disheartened with all of the amazing profiles on this forum, so figured I would share!

14 minutes ago, SpitFire921 said:

This might be more of a results page thing, but I just wanted to share that I got an interview with 2 PI's!

I was feeling pretty disheartened with all of the amazing profiles on this forum, so figured I would share!

Congrats! Which programs?

1 minute ago, sgaw10 said:

Congrats! Which programs?

For this school it is Mechanical Engineering but the PI's both have courtesy appts in Biomedical Engineering.

Do you know where I can find tips on preparing for this interview? I'm in a masters program right now, but I went here for undergrad and have never interviewed for grad school. 

6 minutes ago, SpitFire921 said:

For this school it is Mechanical Engineering but the PI's both have courtesy appts in Biomedical Engineering.

Do you know where I can find tips on preparing for this interview? I'm in a masters program right now, but I went here for undergrad and have never interviewed for grad school. 

Very cool. This is a great resource for interview questions. Other than that, I would dress business casual, and if unsure, err on the side of overdressing rather than underdressing. Be able to talk about your past projects, too. As long as you have done your homework on the school and don't trash talk anyone or get wasted at the social events, it should be fine. They wouldn't fly you out on their dime if they were unsure of your fit.

8 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Very cool. This is a great resource for interview questions. Other than that, I would dress business casual, and if unsure, err on the side of overdressing rather than underdressing. Be able to talk about your past projects, too. As long as you have done your homework on the school and don't trash talk anyone or get wasted at the social events, it should be fine. They wouldn't fly you out on their dime if they were unsure of your fit.

That is a sweet post and a great subreddit, thanks for the link! I should add a signature like yours to my profile. I also should have clarified... it is a Skype interview, but I'll still dress business casual. Hopefully this leads to a preview day invitation or whatever it's called.

Edited by SpitFire921

6 minutes ago, SpitFire921 said:

That is a sweet post and a great subreddit, thanks for the link! I should add a signature like yours to my profile. I also should have clarified... it is a Skype interview, but I'll still dress business casual. Hopefully this leads to a preview day invitation or whatever it's called.

No problem. Yeah, I would still dress nicely for a Skype interview. And avoid having distracting posters or something like that in the background. Good luck!

6 minutes ago, Victorious Secret said:

Chin up, in 2018 Duke BME had rounds of interview invites in early Jan, early Feb, and mid-March. 

It seems like one must be contacted by POI fairly early though.