Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

@extramaniac It's hard to say anything more specific than stellar grades from R1 institutions. Many of the people in my Ph.D. cohort were rejected from Stanford, so I'm guessing research fit is also a big part of it. I spent the summer before applying at Stanford working in Bioengineering and met with the chair of the admissions committee and was still rejected (probably because of my GPA), so who you know definitely isn't all of it. 

Does anyone know if UCSD is done sending out interview offers? I haven’t gotten a rejection yet but I haven’t gotten an interview either. It’s making me nervous since UCSD is my top choice after being rejected from Berkeley/UCSF

1 hour ago, gummybear9 said:

Does anyone know if UCSD is done sending out interview offers? I haven’t gotten a rejection yet but I haven’t gotten an interview either. It’s making me nervous since UCSD is my top choice after being rejected from Berkeley/UCSF

Unfortunately I'm not sure if they're done, but my UCSD application still says that it's under review. It seems like they've sent out a few rejections already, so maybe it depends on POI/research interest.

5 hours ago, skyw said:

Did anyone apply to Gatech -Emory BME?  Saw someone already got accepted , kinda nervous. Did anyone didn't reach out to professors as I do?  It seems they really want to you to talk to a professor beforehand.  

I applied but haven't heard anything yet. I did reach out professors as I worked there for a summer.

Edited by drfigue

2 hours ago, gummybear9 said:

1 hour ago, sgaw10 said:

Unfortunately I'm not sure if they're done, but my UCSD application still says that it's under review. It seems like they've sent out a few rejections already, so maybe it depends on POI/research interest.

I honestly don't know about those interviews. Way before application season, I talked to the Program Coordinator and one POI and they both said that first offers will be sent out by mid-Feb. Do they mention interviews in the FAQs? I don't think so, right?

12 minutes ago, drfigue said:

I honestly don't know about those interviews. Way before application season, I talked to the Program Coordinator and one POI and they both said that first offers will be sent out by mid-Feb. Do they mention interviews in the FAQs? I don't think so, right?

I haven't checked the FAQs, but the interviews seem pretty standard. Seems like it's been a mixed bag of interviews and rejections so far, so I wouldn't be surprised if they evaluate by research area. But I have no idea, honestly.

Does anyone know if JHU sends out invites over a few days? Saw someone got invites already. I was contacted by JHU POI a week ago for an informal phone interview but haven't received a formal interview invite and am freaking out.

7 hours ago, ruiruiruij said:

Does anyone know if JHU sends out invites over a few days? Saw someone got invites already. I was contacted by JHU POI a week ago for an informal phone interview but haven't received a formal interview invite and am freaking out.

I don't know but I got the interview invitation today too. There are 73 invitations for over 500 applicants. I would love to know the stats for admission once offered an interview

Edited by girlbui

The results page is literally the worst seeing people get on-campus interviews to schools I applied to and just waiting, hoping, I get one. However, congrats @reeab! That's so awesome! I promise, I am not salty at all! I am just bitter for being so anxious about this and you should be super proud of yourself! Good luck to everyone and I hope we all get good news soon!

I know we have technically 3 months left for decisions / deadlines, at least 1 month give or take before the schools send out all the invitations for interviews / offers. It is still kinda depressing to think "Ok, I'm not their first choice" after the first few waves of invitations starting beginning of this month. 

18 hours ago, girlbui said:

I don't know but I got the interview invitation today too. There are 73 invitations for over 500 applicants. I would love to know the stats for admission once offered an interview

Just wanted to say I love your avatar :P 

14 minutes ago, BrownEukaryote said:

I got acceptance from Boston University and Its midnight where I live, I  just can't wait until my parents wake up to call and share the news! :D Sharing with you guys to relieve me of the burden :D

Congrats!!! It definitely takes the pressure off the chest.

11 hours ago, skyw said:

@drfigue thanks for the information, let's hope for the best. This nail biting 2 weeks. 

A friend of mine was notified about his admission about an hour ago. I want to believe they are being pretty slow?? Have you heard yet?