Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

honestly I'm scared what my calendar's going to look like when more news comes out (also Stanford whenever that happens xD) because I already have a couple weekends booked off for Hopkins and such

1 hour ago, Victorious Secret said:

I imagine that fewer people would be able to attend interviews given prior visits, spring break plans, etc. 

I accepted my BU visit weekend in early March and I hope if I hear from Stanford if at all, it won't conflict. But it's BU for BME, I'm not going to pass on that visit.

8 hours ago, sgaw10 said:

Crossing my fingers for a Penn interview ?

penns my #2 so same. hopefully we meet each other there :)

8 hours ago, girlbui said:

Here's my profile when I applied

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): In-state local university that is considered R1 

Major(s): BME
Minor(s): Mathematics
GPA in Major: 4.00/4.00
Overall GPA: 3.96/4.00
Demographics/Background: First generation college student, Asian

GRE Scores:
Q: 56%
V: 88%
W: 92%

LOR: 3 - Two PI's, 1 job manager

Research Experience: I'm an undergrad so I started lab freshman year. Also interned for a tech company in Palo Alto where I developed my invention

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 3 papers (all 2nd author) from a BME lab. Was going to write one as the first author from vasculature lab but she keeps saying, your paper is next but my PI takes forever.  1 Patent. Over 11 conference posters/abstracts (either 1st or co); I lost count

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List, full-ride scholarships 30k/year. Lots of random scholarships recognition. 2nd place best presentation in a conference. Grants to those 2 labs I mentioned above

Fellowships/Funding: I applied to zero before I applied to the school. I thought the school can just give me an internal fellowship. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Those research were jobs, I always got paid. 

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments:

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.): No faculty connections. I didn't reach out first to any school before applying. 

Research Interests: biosensors, microfluidics

thanks. you seem to have a great profile. good luck on your interviews

Edited by extramaniac

7 hours ago, empress_empiria said:

Yes I am very worried about overlapping trips (have a big international research related one). I think Stanford just has interviews in early march. I would *like* to think they would notify before end of january.... 

Stanford said the interview decisions are out in early March so I guess the interview dates would be later March then. Can anyone tell me if they will have dates to pick like Berkeley and JHU do? I have an international conference and an oral presentation on March 8-10 ?? can’t back out

3 minutes ago, gummybear9 said:

I got into UC Riverside! I applied as a safety but I genuinely love the research and I'm so thrilled. I'm going to grad school! I feel so much less anxious now about other schools.

Yay! Congratulations, so happy for you!!!

3 minutes ago, gummybear9 said:

I got into UC Riverside! I applied as a safety but I genuinely love the research and I'm so thrilled. I'm going to grad school! I feel so much less anxious now about other schools.

Congrats! Knew you would get it :)

13 minutes ago, gummybear9 said:

Fantastic!!!! So happy for you!

I am an international student and received acceptance (no interview/visit) from Boston University a couple of days ago! Do you guys have any idea whether international students are given a chance to visit the university before making the decision? Any idea about travel awards? 

1 hour ago, gummybear9 said:

Congrats!!! 

7 minutes ago, BrownEukaryote said:

I am an international student and received acceptance (no interview/visit) from Boston University a couple of days ago! Do you guys have any idea whether international students are given a chance to visit the university before making the decision? Any idea about travel awards? 

From what I've heard, typically international students don't get to invited to visit the university. I would suggest talking to the director of admissions or whoever you're in contact with.

1 hour ago, gummybear9 said:

Congrats! :)))

10 minutes ago, BrownEukaryote said:

an international student on reddit mentioned having to make the decision without a visit for BU

Edit: 

Edited by dontor

35 minutes ago, BrownEukaryote said:

If I were you, I'd start contacting potential PIs and ask them to put you in contact with their graduate students. The students could give you Skype/Facetime tours and talk to you about other stuff you may be interested in. Congratulations on your admission!

Generic question here: since I only applied for Master's programs (not PhD), I assume that I need to wait longer for my admission decision than most of you guys? Since they screen the PhD applications first and then move rejected candidates to the Master's application

If that is indeed the case, when can I roughly expect the results for my applications (Feburary? March?) ?

Need to plan the upcoming months, can't just sit at home everyday to wait for e-mails...

14 minutes ago, Crazy Rich Asian said:

Generic question here: since I only applied for Master's programs (not PhD), I assume that I need to wait longer for my admission decision than most of you guys? Since they screen the PhD applications first and then move rejected candidates to the Master's application

If that is indeed the case, when can I roughly expect the results for my applications (Feburary? March?) ?

Need to plan the upcoming months, can't just sit at home everyday to wait for e-mails...

Maybe March/April? You could go to the Results page to look for dates from past years. Best of luck!

38 minutes ago, AnotherThrowawayAccount said:

Someone posted an interview for Stanford in the results page. Not sure how legit it is. I'm super wary of people trolling on this site.

You know, I've actually never considered that people would troll except for the ones that are obvious jokes. In the past they've sent out all their interview offers at the same time, so if no one else posts about it today/tomorrow it's probably fake.

1 minute ago, gummybear9 said:

You know, I've actually never considered that people would troll except for the ones that are obvious jokes. In the past they've sent out all their interview offers at the same time, so if no one else posts about it today/tomorrow it's probably fake.

It's a defense mechanism to not freak about before decisions are actually made more than anything else. Hopefully we all get invites.

1 hour ago, drfigue said:

Maybe March/April? You could go to the Results page to look for dates from past years. Best of luck!

Thanks a lot for the tip! Ironically, I just got my first offer from UW Seattle right after the post...

Hoping that some more results come in in the next few days.

11 minutes ago, Crazy Rich Asian said:

Thanks a lot for the tip! Ironically, I just got my first offer from UW Seattle right after the post...

Woohoo!!! Congrats!

42 minutes ago, Crazy Rich Asian said:

I got my Ms offer beginning of March :) 

1 hour ago, Moods said:

Is it just me or has anyone else haven’t from any schools yet? It’s great seeing you all get interviews and acceptances, though! I’m just feeling very discouraged....

i just heard back from a school today for the first time. it seems a lot of places are behind this year compared to last, especially for bioe