Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

Just now, extramaniac said:

congrats! did a POI contact you?

To be very honest I had a hard time hearing the call. It may have been. I thought it was a call from Genentech because of the 650 area code. So so happy!!!! Shaking. But anyways, yeah, they're definitely still making interview calls.

7 minutes ago, Victorious Secret said:

To be very honest I had a hard time hearing the call. It may have been. I thought it was a call from Genentech because of the 650 area code. So so happy!!!! Shaking. But anyways, yeah, they're definitely still making interview calls.

thats awesome! do you know many interviews they've given/how many they have left to give? sorry for the questions just trying to glean some info. congrats again though!

Sort of a long shot here, but does anyone know the chances of getting an interview spot after being waitlisted by Rice? Obviously this varies by year and area, but I am curious 

On 1/24/2019 at 9:17 PM, drfigue said:

Do you guys know if UCSD sends more interview requests? It’s just so weird. A POI from there told me: “I believe decisions letters will go out shortly.” That was last weekend - it seems that they sent a lot of rejections around Feb 7 last year. *cries in Spanish*

My son got this email on 1/24 concerning UCSD's Master of Engineering degree..  He did not interview.  Of course, this may an entirely different process for MS and PhD applicants, so I wouldn't read too much into this.  (His older brother had a very short interview on 2/1/18 with Michigan for its aerospace engineering PhD program and got his offer letter the next day.)  Anyway, good luck.

Congratulations! On behalf of the Graduate Admissions Committee in the Department of Bioengineering at UC San Diego, I am happy to inform you that we are recommending you for admission into our graduate program in Bioengineering effective Fall Quarter 2019 for the Master of Engineering (M.Eng.) degree. Please read through your offer letter carefully as it contains important information.

Please note, we are recommending you for admission to the program but the Graduate Admissions Office in the Graduate Division will be the one to send you formal notice of admission, so look for an e-mail coming soon from the UCSD Graduate Division that will contain more information. At this busy time it can take up to 10-12 business days to receive the e-mail. Once you have received this notice, you will then be able to log your decision on the application site.

Did anyone apply to Caltech's BioE program? When was the invitation sent out and when was the actual campus visit?

I didn't apply to BioE but I applied to MedE and I'm waiting to see if I get an invitation or not because the director said campus visit is Feb 15-16. I already interviewed via Skype but have not heard back. That is my top school

On 1/26/2019 at 2:30 AM, Victorious Secret said:

I just got the invite call from Stanford!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard back from a Professor at Stanford and I am really excited!!!
Since I am an international student, I wanted to get some stuff cleared from you guys.

1. I was told to expect an official invitation to the graduate interviews on March 7/8. I gather that this would be an on-campus interview. Do you have any idea whether international students are funded for interview visits? Even if so, I am worried if I would make it since getting a visa to the US is really really hard from my country :( 
  2. Since a Professor contacted me, would I be supervised by him if I were accepted (I really like his lab group though) without getting to do lab rotations? 

9 hours ago, BrownEukaryote said:

I heard back from a Professor at Stanford and I am really excited!!!
Since I am an international student, I wanted to get some stuff cleared from you guys.

1. I was told to expect an official invitation to the graduate interviews on March 7/8. I gather that this would be an on-campus interview. Do you have any idea whether international students are funded for interview visits? Even if so, I am worried if I would make it since getting a visa to the US is really really hard from my country :( 
  2. Since a Professor contacted me, would I be supervised by him if I were accepted (I really like his lab group though) without getting to do lab rotations? 

For funding for the trip, you would likely have to contact a director of graduate studies, and they will be able to tell you how much they are willing to fund. I guess the visa is also really hard, and if that's the case, it's hard to say whether you will be able to visit. :/

I don't think you'd be automatically supervised by him, and you're probably still welcome to do lab rotations. You ultimately declare who you want to be your advisor (as long as it's mutual).

5 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Skype interview request from UVA this morning. Crossing my fingers as hard as possible for a Penn interview invite this week ?

I got a UVA interview request too. I'm thinking it'll be very causal since the professor said 20 minutes just to discuss the program and my interests.

17 minutes ago, dontor said:

I got a UVA interview request too. I'm thinking it'll be very causal since the professor said 20 minutes just to discuss the program and my interests.

Congrats! I was only asked for availability for phone/Skype, so I wasn't sure what to expect. That doesn't sound too bad. Did you apply for their fellowship as well?

2 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Congrats! I was only asked for availability for phone/Skype, so I wasn't sure what to expect. That doesn't sound too bad. Did you apply for their fellowship as well?

Yeah I did apply for the fellowship. Do you know much about it, like stipend amt?

I got into BU already. But I paid for the application fee to UVA so you know, I'll interview. If there is a visit weekend, I'd attend.