Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

Hey guys! Trying to promote some positivity. Don’t be so hard on yourselves over rejection. Remember that you just need one school to give you the green light to go to grad school and I am sure we will all do amazing and interesting work wherever we end up :) don’t forget to celebrate your victories- we’ve all jumped through so many and different hurdles to be here today. 

15 minutes ago, empress_empiria said:

Hey guys! Trying to promote some positivity. Don’t be so hard on yourselves over rejection. Remember that you just need one school to give you the green light to go to grad school and I am sure we will all do amazing and interesting work wherever we end up :) don’t forget to celebrate your victories- we’ve all jumped through so many and different hurdles to be here today. 

Thanks for this. Not feeling too optimistic about this week.

33 minutes ago, empress_empiria said:

Thank you...I will try my best to remember that. Congrats on getting accepted into UW!

On 2/2/2019 at 12:29 AM, _theSCHOLAR_ said:

has anyone here applied to the medical imaging and informatics PhD program under BioE @ UCLA? 
If so, has anyone heard back to be invited for an interview?
Thanks!

I believe all BioE interviews are held together. The on-campus interview is this coming weekend.

3 minutes ago, extramaniac said:

Does anyone know the general interview attire? Is it formal (eg suit and tie for guys)? 

Always better to be overdressed than underdressed. You can always ask the program coordinator, too. Sometimes the attire is specified in the weekend itinerary. I'm a woman and wore a button up, blazer, and nice slacks. But the rest of the events were casual.

9 minutes ago, extramaniac said:

Does anyone know the general interview attire? Is it formal (eg suit and tie for guys)? 

It’s usually business causal unless they specify. You can wear a suit and tie, or maybe something a little more causal, like slacks, button up shirt, a tie, and some nice shoes. 

Edited by Moods

3 hours ago, sgaw10 said:

Thanks for this. Not feeling too optimistic about this week.

3 hours ago, Moods said:

Thank you...I will try my best to remember that. Congrats on getting accepted into UW!

You both have awesome schools you interviewed at!! I know you will all do great. And thanks @Moods!

2 hours ago, sgaw10 said:

Always better to be overdressed than underdressed. You can always ask the program coordinator, too. Sometimes the attire is specified in the weekend itinerary. I'm a woman and wore a button up, blazer, and nice slacks. But the rest of the events were casual.

2 hours ago, Moods said:

It’s usually business causal unless they specify. You can wear a suit and tie, or maybe something a little more causal, like slacks, button up shirt, a tie, and some nice shoes. 

Thanks. I'll also wait for the email from the program coordinator.

I feel like i'm in some sort a conundrum. I got an interview (northwestern) which surprised me because theres really only one PI i'm interested in working with so he's the only person I put in my application. I figured if he wasn't interested, I wouldn't waste too much effort. NW isn't my first choice, but the PI is doing exactly what I'm interested in. 

I didn't get an interview at my first choice (most likely, haven't heard officially) but that school has multiple PIs doing close to what I like albeit not 100% like this NW guy. I'm just paranoid that the one PI might not live up to expectations or something goes wrong. Then I'd be stuck. But since I have no other interview options its like...what else do i do.

6 minutes ago, extramaniac said:

Thanks. I'll also wait for the email from the program coordinator.

I feel like i'm in some sort a conundrum. I got an interview (northwestern) which surprised me because theres really only one PI i'm interested in working with so he's the only person I put in my application. I figured if he wasn't interested, I wouldn't waste too much effort. NW isn't my first choice, but the PI is doing exactly what I'm interested in. 

I didn't get an interview at my first choice (most likely, haven't heard officially) but that school has multiple PIs doing close to what I like albeit not 100% like this NW guy. I'm just paranoid that the one PI might not live up to expectations or something goes wrong. Then I'd be stuck. But since I have no other interview options its like...what else do i do.

Do you know if Northwestern is done sending out invites? And honestly, you never know until you visit. You have plenty of time to decide!

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): UCSD

Major(s): Chemical Engineering
Minor(s): N/A
GPA in Major: ~3.7
Overall GPA: ~3.6
Demographics/Background: 2 or more races

GRE Scores (all >90th percentile):
Q: 166 
V: 164 
W: 5.0 

LOR: 1 from PI, 1 from favorite professor, 1 from manager at HP

Research Experience: 4 years in 3D Bioprinting lab doing mainly material synthesis, lots of printing, and cell work/mechanical testing

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 2 papers (not first author)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: full ride Jacobs Scholarship (funded by Irwin Jacobs for top engineering students applying to UCSD), Regents Scholar

Fellowships/Funding: have research fellowship now but not before applying

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: worked 8 mo at a pharmaceutical company as process engineer (2nd yr spring/summer, 3rd yr fall), worked 6 mo at HP as materials science intern (3rd yr summer/4th yr fall), Program manager of AIChE Projects at UCSD

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: studied abroad at Cambridge (1st yr summer), took a few honors chemistry courses

Research Interests: want to go into industry, interested in management/consulting/entrepreneurship

Institutions/Programs: only applied to 4 top programs, MIT Chem E Master's, Princeton ChemE/BioE Master's (rejected), Berkeley PDP, and Stanford MS&E

Comments: Not sure if a master's in Chem E is worth it. Got into Berkeley for Chem E (#1 program) undergrad but chose UCSD for full ride with generous stipend. In my opinion, jobs are what matter the most and I want to set myself up so I am not struggling financially. I love the intellectual challenge of classes, research, and internships but at the end of the day I am looking for the best practical option. I would greatly appreciate any input :)

30 minutes ago, amm559 said:

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): UCSD

Major(s): Chemical Engineering
Minor(s): N/Ad
GPA in Major: ~3.7
Overall GPA: ~3.6
Demographics/Background: 2 or more races

GRE Scores (all >90th percentile):
Q: 166 
V: 164 
W: 5.0 

LOR: 1 from PI, 1 from favorite professor, 1 from manager at HP

Research Experience: 4 years in 3D Bioprinting lab doing mainly material synthesis, lots of printing, and cell work/mechanical testing

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 2 papers (not first author)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: full ride Jacobs Scholarship (funded by Irwin Jacobs for top engineering students applying to UCSD), Regents Scholar

Fellowships/Funding: have research fellowship now but not before applying

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: worked 8 mo at a pharmaceutical company as process engineer (2nd yr spring/summer, 3rd yr fall), worked 6 mo at HP as materials science intern (3rd yr summer/4th yr fall), Program manager of AIChE Projects at UCSD

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: studied abroad at Cambridge (1st yr summer), took a few honors chemistry courses

Research Interests: want to go into industry, interested in management/consulting/entrepreneurship

Institutions/Programs: only applied to 4 top programs, MIT Chem E Master's, Princeton ChemE/BioE Master's (rejected), Berkeley PDP, and Stanford MS&E

Comments: Not sure if a master's in Chem E is worth it. Got into Berkeley for Chem E (#1 program) undergrad but chose UCSD for full ride with generous stipend. In my opinion, jobs are what matter the most and I want to set myself up so I am not struggling financially. I love the intellectual challenge of classes, research, and internships but at the end of the day I am looking for the best practical option. I would greatly appreciate any input :)

Your profile is definitely competitive for masters programs, but I think unless you are interested in research or job advancement in some fields (biotech for example) you probably don't need a masters. A good number of students from my graduating class in Chem E got offers from big consulting companies or analyst positions right out of undergrad. 

54 minutes ago, ruiruiruij said:

Anyone know if Duke will release any more interview invites or should I just assume rejection?

Wondering the same thing, but I'm thinking rejection

29 minutes ago, treeaway said:

Me for every school that has put me on silent treatment.

Yep, it's getting to the point that it's unlikely given the dates of interview weekends /:

4 hours ago, reeab said:

Your profile is definitely competitive for masters programs, but I think unless you are interested in research or job advancement in some fields (biotech for example) you probably don't need a masters. A good number of students from my graduating class in Chem E got offers from big consulting companies or analyst positions right out of undergrad. 

Thanks for the input. I suspected that was true, but since my school is not very competitive in Chem E I haven't heard much from my peers about job offers. Unfortunately, I am not interested in either research or specific fields like biotech right now. I am also looking at a consulting offer at a big company so I might just take advantage of that, especially because the company could fund my Master's or MBA in the future. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I get into a Master's program, then compare the exact program with the job to make an educated decision. Again, I appreciate your feedback!

15 hours ago, amm559 said:

Thanks for the input. I suspected that was true, but since my school is not very competitive in Chem E I haven't heard much from my peers about job offers. Unfortunately, I am not interested in either research or specific fields like biotech right now. I am also looking at a consulting offer at a big company so I might just take advantage of that, especially because the company could fund my Master's or MBA in the future. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if I get into a Master's program, then compare the exact program with the job to make an educated decision. Again, I appreciate your feedback!

Master's programs are quite expensive, especially since you won't be receiving Pell grants, etc. You might want to go with a BS-level analyst position in consulting and then try to get one of them to finance the MS. But those positions are still challenging to find, especially for top firms. Keep in mind that technical consulting often looks for different credentials than management consulting (also, many MBA students from top-10 programs end up interning with, or working for McKinsey straight after graduation). 

Hehehe hi everyone. Back again since I'm tired of chewing down my fingernails by myself. Why hasn't UPenn made decisions yet???? it's f**kin killing me! I'm gonna be at a convention this weekend, so if they don't release until Friday, watch me have a breakdown in a stranger's car.?????

Also their weekly "Good day and thank you for expressing interest in Graduate study in the Bioengineering, PhD. You are receiving this email because you have submitted an application for the Fall 2019 term." email that sounds like a rejection but is just an invite to their stupid Q&A chat kills me every time. One time I literally screamed.

Last thing: I submitted my application before my fall grades had come out. Should I email them my Fall grades or is it stupid now? Asking bc I got a bad grade Junior Spring and want them to think I'm not an idiot. I really just had a situation. (see, the thing about that class there is...)

Thanks for waiting with me, y'all. I have two chocolate bars in my backpack and two bags of chocolate at home just in case I get 'the news'.

PSA: Actually there is a reason for Penn taking so damn long. "We do try to get decisions out in 6-8 weeks, but there is no guarantee and actually, with the gov't shutdown, we expect a further delay because PIs will have to wait longer to find out about their funding." I scream internally.

29 minutes ago, starkid said:

Hehehe hi everyone. Back again since I'm tired of chewing down my fingernails by myself. Why hasn't UPenn made decisions yet???? it's f**kin killing me! I'm gonna be at a convention this weekend, so if they don't release until Friday, watch me have a breakdown in a stranger's car.?????

Also their weekly "Good day and thank you for expressing interest in Graduate study in the Bioengineering, PhD. You are receiving this email because you have submitted an application for the Fall 2019 term." email that sounds like a rejection but is just an invite to their stupid Q&A chat kills me every time. One time I literally screamed.

Last thing: I submitted my application before my fall grades had come out. Should I email them my Fall grades or is it stupid now? Asking bc I got a bad grade Junior Spring and want them to think I'm not an idiot. I really just had a situation. (see, the thing about that class there is...)

Thanks for waiting with me, y'all. I have two chocolate bars in my backpack and two bags of chocolate at home just in case I get 'the news'.

PSA: Actually there is a reason for Penn taking so damn long. "We do try to get decisions out in 6-8 weeks, but there is no guarantee and actually, with the gov't shutdown, we expect a further delay because PIs will have to wait longer to find out about their funding." I scream internally.

Well, they already send out interview invites, and I think they're done.

25 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Well, they already send out interview invites, and I think they're done.

Ouch. I didn't see anything about it on the results page?? I see you also applied. Please, share my chocolate-flavored fear.

1 hour ago, starkid said:

Ouch. I didn't see anything about it on the results page?? I see you also applied. Please, share my chocolate-flavored fear.

It was around January 24th. it is honestly my top choice, so I'm quite sad and feel your pain :(