Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

2 minutes ago, dontor said:

Yeah I did apply for the fellowship. Do you know much about it, like stipend amt?

I got into BU already. But I paid for the application fee to UVA so you know, I'll interview. If there is a visit weekend, I'd attend. 

I am not sure about the amount. I also applied, so I figured maybe that would be mentioned in the interview. Maybe I'll see you at a visit!

Is anyone familiar with funding opportunities for UC Davis BME? I got in and I'm super excited and will almost definitely go there if I get funding, but there was no information in the initial email. Granted, the "official" letter is still pending but it makes me a little nervous. The website doesn't say anything about guaranteed funding, but it's a really great school, so they must fund their students, right? They mentioned learning abut funding opportunities at the visit weekend which also kind of seems like it's not guaranteed.

1 hour ago, gummybear9 said:

Is anyone familiar with funding opportunities for UC Davis BME? I got in and I'm super excited and will almost definitely go there if I get funding, but there was no information in the initial email. Granted, the "official" letter is still pending but it makes me a little nervous. The website doesn't say anything about guaranteed funding, but it's a really great school, so they must fund their students, right? They mentioned learning abut funding opportunities at the visit weekend which also kind of seems like it's not guaranteed.

I wouldn't worry about funding in your case. I didn't apply to UC Davis, but I believe UT Austin does the same thing. Maybe it is easier to get the acceptances out first and deal with funding for those who are seriously considering when meeting in-person. I could be wrong, but UC Davis does not strike me as an institution that would not fund their PhD students! I would just wait and see at the visit.

I wish UCSD would say something though /:

2 hours ago, sgaw10 said:

I wouldn't worry about funding in your case. I didn't apply to UC Davis, but I believe UT Austin does the same thing. Maybe it is easier to get the acceptances out first and deal with funding for those who are seriously considering when meeting in-person. I could be wrong, but UC Davis does not strike me as an institution that would not fund their PhD students! I would just wait and see at the visit.

I wish UCSD would say something though /:

I've given up hope on UCSD, there haven't been any interviews on the results page in awhile.

1 hour ago, reeab said:

Pretty certain Davis BME will fund their PhD students. I got in too and am deciding if I want to make the trip, maybe I'll see you there!

I'm definitely making the trip, I'm really excited. It's the worst flight ever (I have an overnight layover in LAX ?) but I definitely want to see Davis and get to talk to students since it's most likely where I'm going to go! Let me know if you decide to go!

50 minutes ago, Moods said:

Hey all who applied to BioE at UW, I think we will be hearing news some time this week or next week, based on the results page the last few years. I am super nervous! Good luck to everyone who applied there!

I think given the interview invites already sent out, these will be rejections...

Just now, sgaw10 said:

They sent out some interview invites 1-1.5 weeks ago 

Oh....I thought those were just Skype interviews. Well, awesome....Okay, this is FINE. Thanks for letting me know. Now I can prepare myself for another rejection (I wish they would just tell us already if that's so, you know?)

14 minutes ago, Moods said:

Oh....I thought those were just Skype interviews. Well, awesome....Okay, this is FINE. Thanks for letting me know. Now I can prepare myself for another rejection (I wish they would just tell us already if that's so, you know?)

I think they're on-site. But I also dont think it is unheard of for them to accept outrightly based on previous years, so if your Skype interview went well then that could be the case. But for those of us without any prior contact, I don't feel hopeful 

Does anyone know if UC Davis sends admission decisions in wave? The website says that students who are accepted til Feb 10th will be invited to the school, so should I wait until then and assume I am rejected if I don't get any notification from the school? 

And for those who are accepted to UC Davis, Congrats! Was there an interview, or did the school decide without interview? 

Thanks!

Edited by Moon88

1 minute ago, Moon88 said:

Does anyone know if UC Davis sends admission decisions in wave? The website says that students who are accepted til Feb 10th will be invited to the school, so should I wait until then and assume I am rejected if I don't get any notification from the school? 

And for those who are accepted to UC Davis, Congrats! Was there an interview, or did the school decide without interview? 

Thanks!

There was no interview or any sort of contact before the acceptance. I also didn't reach out to any professors before/when applying.

It's hard to tell whether they send admissions in waves because there really aren't that many results for Davis on the results page (that I could find, the search function hasn't been working well for me lately), but it looks like last year there was an acceptance on February 4th so I think there's a good chance that there are later acceptances. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Ayub2306 said:

I have 5 rejections straight away. Can anyone motivate me?

I'm so sorry to hear :( This really sucks.. It is still early though, if they don't have interviews, it means they are sending out acceptances in waves! I hope this helps! 

17 hours ago, empress_empiria said:

When Stanford sends out their official invites, can one of y’all let us know? I have a tiny bit of hope still... but mostly waiting for the rejection before I celebrate vanquished dreams. 

I got my Stanford invite email last night. The deadline to make flight arrangements is February 5.

18 hours ago, Moods said:

I also thought those were Skype interviews and then there would be an additional onsite interview (personally didn't get one but that's been the trend according to some of the grad students in my lab). Someone mentioned that POIs had to let the admissions committee by 1/28 (yesterday) about the candidates they interviewed so I don't think they sent out their onsite ones yet?

Edited by treeaway