Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

4 hours ago, Victorious Secret said:

I got my Stanford inviteĀ email last night. The deadline to make flight arrangements is February 5.

I guess that means if we hear nothing from Stanford this week then it's time to lose hope.

Mistakes that occurred when sending invitation

I was waiting for my invitation if I ever got one from Caltech for the Feb 14-16 visit. I saw that people received them on Jan 25 and I was like, I never got one! Will I get it? Because I had a skype interview with a POI. I was not sure if I made a good impression with him because my interview was about 20 minutes which was short in my opinion. So today, I emailed the PI, asking if I will get an invitation, if not, please let me know so I can consider other options because I really like Caltech. Turned out, he assumed that I have gotten one but I never did and he contacted the department. The manager resent me a new one. Turned out, my email was copied wrong.Ā 

If I never emailed them back, chances are I would not have been invitedĀ at all because I don't think they would go back and follow up with students who did not RSVP.Ā 

Edited by girlbui

16 minutes ago, treeaway said:

I also thought those were Skype interviews and then there would be an additional onsite interview (personally didn't get one but that's been the trend according to some of the grad students in my lab). Someone mentioned that POIs had to let the admissions committee by 1/28 (yesterday) about the candidates they interviewed so I don't think they sent out their onsite ones yet?

Ā 

This year they are doing skype interviews to determine which applicants they want to offer admissions. Then there is an onsite visit which is purely recruitment for those admitted.Ā 

@empress_empiria Thank you! I did a skype interview and just like everyone else, I hope I get accepted. My skype interview wasn't that great because my dad's dogs were barking in the background, which made me super nervous....

Edited by Moods

1 hour ago, girlbui said:

Mistakes that occurred when sending invitation

I was waiting for my invitation if I ever got one from Caltech for the Feb 14-16 visit. I saw that people received them on Jan 25 and I was like, I never got one! Will I get it? Because I had a skype interview with a POI. I was not sure if I made a good impression with him because my interview was about 20 minutes which was short in my opinion. So today, I emailed the PI, asking if I will get an invitation, if not, please let me know so I can consider other options because I really like Caltech. Turned out, he assumed that I have gotten one but I never did and he contacted the department. The manager resent me a new one. Turned out, my email was copied wrong.Ā 

If I never emailed them back, chances are I would not have been invitedĀ at all because I don't think they would go back and follow up with students who did not RSVP.Ā 

Well, that's great! Good thing you emailed him!

37 minutes ago, Moods said:

Well, that's great! Good thing you emailed him!

Thanks

I think if you had an interview via phone, you should follow up with them regarding the estimated time a campus-visit will be sent out (if the school has one), just in case.Ā 

2 hours ago, treeaway said:

I guess that means if we hear nothing from Stanford this week then it's time to lose hope.

So basically, they're sending them out intermittently then. I wouldn't say if not by Feb 5 then you lose hope. One time, I received an interview invitation from UCLA wayĀ late. I checked the Results and people's RSVP deadline already passed (even before I got an invitation).Ā 

19 minutes ago, dontor said:

thanks girlbui :(

Ā 

anyone here apply to Yale? I got an interview there but was just wondering what my chanceĀ of acceptance was.

I didnā€™t apply to Yale and I donā€™t know how theirĀ particular process works, but I think now that you have an interview, make the most of it when you are there. Get to know the professorsĀ who interview you, if itā€™s one person atĀ a time. Talk to grad students, make connections. If you really like that program, try to make sure you seem really interested in the program and that you fit there. I think your interactions during the interview will be very important with yourĀ acceptance.Ā 

13 minutes ago, Moods said:

I didnā€™t apply to Yale and I donā€™t know how theirĀ particular process works, but I think now that you have an interview, make the most of it when you are there. Get to know the professorsĀ who interview you, if itā€™s one person atĀ a time. Talk to grad students, make connections. If you really like that program, try to make sure you seem really interested in the program and that you fit there. I think your interactions during the interview will be very important with yourĀ acceptance.Ā 

It was a Skype interview actually that happened a couple weeks ago. could have gone better but oh well...Ā 

8 minutes ago, dontor said:

It was a Skype interview actually that happened a couple weeks ago. could have gone better but oh well...Ā 

I would also recommend following up interviewers with a thank you email if you are very passionate about the program. It probably doesn't affect the decision, but it's a nice gesture and hopefully ensures that they don't forget about you. I sent a few today and have received positive responses, although these were for in-person interviews.

45 minutes ago, dontor said:

I see. I apologize about that.Ā I am cheering for you, and keeping my fingers crossed for good news from Yale.Ā 

3 hours ago, dontor said:

I'm not sure if this is too late but I always sent out a Thank You email to them and get a follow up question such as do I get an on-campus invitation, etc

Edited by girlbui

14 hours ago, StHoly said:

I'm so sorry to hear :( This really sucks.. It is still early though, if they don't have interviews, it means they are sending out acceptances in waves! I hope this helps!Ā 

Well.... I don't know what you meant. I am just saying that hearing straight 5 'No's is not good. I also have one unofficial No from UNC. They do not send any interview invites after min-Jan. Jan is over. I asked them, they said they won't send the rejection email so early because it is difficult to track that ways. It just means you are not accepted if you didn't receive an interview invite until mid - Jan. Well, frankly speaking I have tons of people to answer back because I have lot of pressure. Also, I have already spent a HUGE amount in these applications. I am only left with 5 places. I enquired at all of those and they told me whatever happens, I will get to know within the next month. Not later than that.

18 hours ago, Moods said:

@empress_empiria Thank you! I did a skype interview and just like everyone else, I hope I get accepted. My skype interview wasn't that great because my dad's dogs were barking in the background, which made me super nervous....

@empress_empiriaĀ 

they havenā€™t sent an on site invitation yet Iā€™d say. Because the professor who interviewed me said weā€™re most likely get an invitation unless youā€™re anĀ extreme weirdo

26 minutes ago, dontor said:

Thanks guys! I sent a thank you email on the day of the interview. Results page shows Yale probably will let students know next week, so will see!

Iā€™m not sure when Yale has their visit date bc I didnā€™t apply,Ā but I got my invitation by Caltech on Jan 29 (technically Jan 25 ) and the date is Feb 14-16, literally in 2 weeks

41 minutes ago, girlbui said:

Iā€™m not sure when Yale has their visit dateļ»æ bc I didnā€™t apply,Ā but I got my invitation by Caltech on Jan 29 (technically Jan 25 ) and the date is Feb 14-16, literally in 2 weeks

as long as they are paying!

10 hours ago, Ayub2306 said:

Well.... I don't know what you meant. I am just saying that hearing straight 5 'No's is not good. I also have one unofficial No from UNC. They do not send any interview invites after min-Jan. Jan is over. I asked them, they said they won't send the rejection email so early because it is difficult to track that ways. It just means you are not accepted if you didn't receive an interview invite until mid - Jan. Well, frankly speaking I have tons of people to answer back because I have lot of pressure. Also, I have already spent a HUGE amount in these applications. I am only left with 5 places. I enquired at all of those and they told me whatever happens, I will get to know within the next month. Not later than that.

I'm so sorry ?Ā don't lose hope!!!