Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

1 minute ago, extramaniac said:

i just heard back from a school today for the first time. it seems a lot of places are behind this year compared to last, especially for bioe

Thanks. I will try my best to stay patient and not let my imposter syndrome get the best of me. Also, I hope the news you heard today was good! 

2 hours ago, Moods said:

Is it just me or has anyone else haven’t from any schools yet? It’s great seeing you all get interviews and acceptances, though! I’m just feeling very discouraged....

It's been silent treatment for me from most schools. It's strange and unsettling, but you're not alone. 

11 hours ago, treeaway said:

From what I've heard, typically international students don't get to invited to visit the university. I would suggest talking to the director of admissions or whoever you're in contact with.

Congrats! :)))

Thank you for the idea. I will write to the admission director! 

11 hours ago, dontor said:

an international student on reddit mentioned having to make the decision without a visit for BU

Edit: 

Haha, that is actually me :D

11 hours ago, drfigue said:

If I were you, I'd start contacting potential PIs and ask them to put you in contact with their graduate students. The students could give you Skype/Facetime tours and talk to you about other stuff you may be interested in. Congratulations on your admission!

I have an alumnus from my home university who is currently doing a PhD at BU. Thanks for the idea. I will speak to them! 

Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a while and decided to join in on the conversation. I checked my Stanford application status earlier today and noticed it was listed as incomplete, and I was just wondering if the same happened to anyone else. I'm trying not to freak out because I know I submitted everything on time, but I'm not sure what's going on.

28 minutes ago, yeebioe said:

Hi guys, I've been lurking here for a while and decided to join in on the conversation. I checked my Stanford application status earlier today and noticed it was listed as incomplete, and I was just wondering if the same happened to anyone else. I'm trying not to freak out because I know I submitted everything on time, but I'm not sure what's going on.

No that is fine, mine did that too. If you email them about it you will get back an FAQ indicating that it is meaningless and if they need anything from you they will ask.

I have now heard from two professors at separate schools that budgets are tight now due to grants being held up with the government shutdown. I know of one UC chemE program that has slashed admissions by 50% this year because of funding issues (and the UC system has particular funding issues due to the budget impasse https://diverseeducation.com/article/135304/). Has anyone else heard words to the effect of graduate admissions being reduced due to funding?

2 hours ago, yeebioe said:

I saw that too. My transcript is listed as unofficial but I sent in an official transcript a while ago. So I'm not sure. 

Edited by girlbui

6 minutes ago, girlbui said:

I saw that too. My transcript is listed as unofficial but I sent in an official transcript a while ago. So I'm not sure. 

Same situation here.

On another note about Stanford, their visit dates are the same week as Cornell's, at least according to the person who posted results.

Edited by treeaway

Does anyone have a different confirmation date? I'm not sure who confirmed it. The college? Because I submitted mine on the last day. And the confirmation is somehow 1AM a day later.... The application was due Dec 4...

image.png.227ff2929a4443ac4fa29f9550ff153e.png

Edited by girlbui

6 hours ago, empress_empiria said:

So are we assuming rejection if not contacted yet by stanford? 

My guess is if we don't hear back today or tomorrow, then it's a no. But BU visit weekend is same time as Stanford interviews and I've already confirmed with BU that I'll be attending... I think at this point, I'd rather just know I'm rejected so that I can move on with my life lol

27 minutes ago, bioengiNerd said:

Hello All!

Does anyone know if BU is sending out more acceptances or interviews? For those who were accepted already, did you have an interview beforehand?

Thanks! :)

No interview just invited for an open house. And i have no idea if they are still sending out acceptances ? 

1 hour ago, bioengiNerd said:

Hello All!

Does anyone know if BU is sending out more acceptances or interviews? For those who were accepted already, did you have an interview beforehand?

Thanks! :)

BU sends out their acceptances in waves over about a month. 

10 hours ago, empress_empiria said:

So are we assuming rejection if not contacted yet by stanford? 

I think it's early. If I'm being honest, as much as love their orthopaedic and imaging based research, the stories I've heard from the lab I work in about Stanford (sad students, restructuring - more of a rumor, idk how true it is) have definitely turned me off. So even if I got an invite, I'm not sure how much I would commit.

Does anyone know if Columbia only sent out one wave of interview invites? Wondering if I should start writing off Columbia, UCSD, UW, Duke, and UT Austin as rejections...

Edited by sgaw10