Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

2 minutes ago, skyw said:

@drfigue  I applied through the Bioinformatics track I am wondering if that is the reason? any idea what track is your friend in ? 

hmmm...maybe cardiovascular/tissue engineering. I don't even remember mine, haha xD you're not alone-i'm here with you ?

I know, I'm late to the game...

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): University of Delaware, 9th for Chemical Engineering (my home major)

Major(s): Chemical Engineering
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: Idk if I really want to know.
Overall GPA: 3.686/4.0 which is lower than earlier semesters :(
Demographics/Background: Half Asian (filipino), female, Tau Beta Pi chapter president, Honors, Dean's list, on a full-ride scholarship, had some funding for summer research.

GRE Scores: 169 Verbal/ 164 Quant/ 4.5 AW
LOR: How can people know how strong a LOR is if they can't read it? I got one from a professor who I just talked to about grad school and life, my PI who is fairly selective in recruiting undergrads, and the Tau Beta Pi chapter advisor who is also a professor of mine.

Research Experience: Like, a ton, but in 3 different labs in undergrad. Awkwardly left the first two because it was bad fit/poor mentoring experience. Will be completing an honors senior thesis.

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 1st author abstract for BMES conference this year with a poster. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Won 'Innovation Award' cash prize at a University design/business competition that was based on open-source tech for heal. Sigma Xi (scientific research honor society) Member.

Fellowships/Funding: Applied for GRFP. May apply for Tau Beta Pi Fellowship.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  Meh. Volunteer with Assistive Technology club, President of Tau Beta Pi, Treasurer of Hacking Club.

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: Random 1000$ named scholarship for no apparent reason, a couple other nominal honors, like 'Student of Distinction', General Honors Award.

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.): I seem to have lots of contacts at Princeton (practically everyone I worked for went there at some point), none at my #1 school, Upenn, obvs some at my home school, UD, and I met some nice people from University of Maryland who gave me a fee waiver.

Research Interests: microfluidics, sensors, infectious disease, global health.

Institutions/Programs: 

Keepin it local: 

University of Delaware (my Undergrad Institution)

University of Maryland

Princeton University

University of Pennsylvania

Comments: I have tons of contacts at Princeton, which is kind of a weird fit for me, imo. I have basically nobody on the inside at Upenn, my top choice. I contacted my POI there, who's like, my idol, but he never got back to me and I don't wanna be creepy. It's so disheartening when a PI's website says to reach out to them if you're interested in working for them, and they don't write back. I crei ever tim.

Heard back from UMD super-duper fast. I had to submit 5 days early to use the fee waiver, and they got back to me one day after the regular deadline (with an interview offer). Probably the fee waiver also put me on some fast-tracked review process. Having heard back from several POI and my nice talk with the representative at BMES probably helped.

Heard back from UD next with an official offer (which was lit). But I'm not sure how far their stipend will go in this town, having had to get summer housing for summer research. Plus, this town is lame. So, we'll see.

4 minutes ago, starkid said:

I know, I'm late to the game...

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): University of Delaware, 9th for Chemical Engineering (my home major)

Major(s): Chemical Engineering
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: Idk if I really want to know.
Overall GPA: 3.686/4.0 which is lower than earlier semesters :(
Demographics/Background: Half Asian (filipino), female, Tau Beta Pi chapter president, Honors, Dean's list, on a full-ride scholarship, had some funding for summer research.

GRE Scores: 169 Verbal/ 164 Quant/ 4.5 AW
LOR: How can people know how strong a LOR is if they can't read it? I got one from a professor who I just talked to about grad school and life, my PI who is fairly selective in recruiting undergrads, and the Tau Beta Pi chapter advisor who is also a professor of mine.

Research Experience: Like, a ton, but in 3 different labs in undergrad. Awkwardly left the first two because it was bad fit/poor mentoring experience. Will be completing an honors senior thesis.

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 1st author abstract for BMES conference this year with a poster. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Won 'Innovation Award' cash prize at a University design/business competition that was based on open-source tech for heal. Sigma Xi (scientific research honor society) Member.

Fellowships/Funding: Applied for GRFP. May apply for Tau Beta Pi Fellowship.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  Meh. Volunteer with Assistive Technology club, President of Tau Beta Pi, Treasurer of Hacking Club.

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: Random 1000$ named scholarship for no apparent reason, a couple other nominal honors, like 'Student of Distinction', General Honors Award.

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.): I seem to have lots of contacts at Princeton (practically everyone I worked for went there at some point), none at my #1 school, Upenn, obvs some at my home school, UD, and I met some nice people from University of Maryland who gave me a fee waiver.

Research Interests: microfluidics, sensors, infectious disease, global health.

Institutions/Programs: 

Keepin it local: 

University of Delaware (my Undergrad Institution)

University of Maryland

Princeton University

University of Pennsylvania

Comments: I have tons of contacts at Princeton, which is kind of a weird fit for me, imo. I have basically nobody on the inside at Upenn, my top choice. I contacted my POI there, who's like, my idol, but he never got back to me and I don't wanna be creepy. It's so disheartening when a PI's website says to reach out to them if you're interested in working for them, and they don't write back. I crei ever tim.

Heard back from UMD super-duper fast. I had to submit 5 days early to use the fee waiver, and they got back to me one day after the regular deadline (with an interview offer). Probably the fee waiver also put me on some fast-tracked review process. Having heard back from several POI and my nice talk with the representative at BMES probably helped.

Heard back from UD next with an official offer (which was lit). But I'm not sure how far their stipend will go in this town, having had to get summer housing for summer research. Plus, this town is lame. So, we'll see.

Penn is my top choice, too. Crossing fingers for both of us. :) I also didn't receive a response from my POI there, but that isn't the end of the world.

1 minute ago, sgaw10 said:

Penn is my top choice, too. Crossing fingers for both of us. :) I also didn't receive a response from my POI there, but that isn't the end of the world.

Who isn't applying to Penn... raise your hand. (Thank you so much for not applying so the rest of us have fewer people to fight to the death for spots... I mean, travel this difficult admissions path with)

If anyone cares, I didn't apply to Johns Hopkins because they don't seem to have anybody specializing in what I'm interested in. Actually, Maryland seemed to have lots of microfluidics people.

I didn't apply to Penn (idk why, maybe cause I wasn't interested in living there). I didn't apply to JHU either. I visited and just got this pretentious and arrogant vibe unfortunately... those things matter to me but i'm sure not to the majority

10 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Penn is my top choice, too! Waiting on hearing from them like crazyyyyy.

13 minutes ago, starkid said:

Who isn't applying to Penn... raise your hand. (Thank you so much for not applying so the rest of us have fewer people to fight to the death for spots... I mean, travel this difficult admissions path with)

If anyone cares, I didn't apply to Johns Hopkins because they don't seem to have anybody specializing in what I'm interested in. Actually, Maryland seemed to have lots of microfluidics people.

5 minutes ago, drfigue said:

Penn is my top choice, too! Waiting on hearing from them like crazyyyyy.

Looks like they might send out interview invites next week, based on stalking previous years' results? Sigh, the research fit is PERFECT, I want to continue living in a big city, I want to move to a coast, and the university atmosphere seems great. Plus the department is top-notch across the board.

I also didn't apply to some of the more "popular" places like UCB/UCSD, JHU, MIT, or Stanford ? Research fit was kinda meh

2 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Looks like they might send out interview invites next week, based on stalking previous years' results? Sigh, the research fit is PERFECT, I want to continue living in a big city, I want to move to a coast, and the university atmosphere seems great. Plus the department is top-notch across the board.

23 minutes ago, starkid said:

Yes, I have stalked them as well. Seems like they do waves of notifications. And I second that, my research interests are a perfect fit. Hope we three will get interviews!

5 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Looks like they might send out interview invites next week, based on stalking previous years' results? Sigh, the research fit is PERFECT, 

UPenn seems like the absolute latest replier (except Princeton, which sends out invites/accepts at a 'normal' time, but sends rejections like a week later, UGH). stg, being so worked up about hearing back from schools is hampering my ability to do research/write my Senior Thesis over the winter XD

2 minutes ago, drfigue said:

You can edit it in the signature settings - there's a bar like the one above in here.

Thanks. My sig has been unforgivably bland since I made it like 20 minutes ago, lol

Hey everyone,

Just hopping on to say you guys have been a huge moral support in this whole process. I was offered an interview at UC Berkeley-UCSF. I'm gonna post my stats here just so everyone keeps up hope. I genuinely thought I had no shot anywhere.

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): One of the senior CUNYs thats not CCNY

Major(s): Biochemistry and Applied Mathematics
Minor(s): Statistics
GPA in Major: 3.65

Overall GPA: 3.686/4.0
Demographics/Background: South Asian

GRE Scores: 160 Verbal/ 163 Quant/ 5 AW
LOR: Strong. 1 from PI who was head of Chem department, another at a major research hospital, another from a CCNY professor, and the last from an international collaborator who is well known. I published with all of them

Research Experience: 5 years. Bio laboratory in high school, organic chemistry synthesis lab for 3 years, 1 summer REU in a physics lab, 2.5 years in the research hospital (overlapped with the organic synth lab because of a collab)

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 3 papers published, 2 3rd author and 1 2nd author. All ACS journals (not JACS). 1 paper submitted, 5th author. Did a couple of crap posters at my school

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Outstanding student leader, an ACS award (basically bs),  4-5 internal university fellowships and scholarships

Fellowships/Funding: Applied for GRFP. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:  Volunteered with refugees abroad for 2 summers, working as a quant day job while continuing to do research at night

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: Class president and president of a minority club (not minority in stem though LOL)

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.): I was originally applying for med school, so I submitted an MCAT score. I did reasonably well (93 percentile). 

Research Interests: nanotech, photonics, therapy and diagnostics

Institutions/Programs: 

Northwestern - Chemistry

Weill Cornell - Pharmacology (Offered Interview)

Columbia - ChemE

MIT - BioE

UC Berkeley-UCSF - BioE (Offered Interview)

Penn - BioE

Stanford - BioE

Harvard - BioE

Comments: For the most part, my stats are incredibly unremarkable. I am well below the average in terms of GPA and GRE, I didn't major in engineering, I went to a mediocre college, and I am an over represented minority in STEM. I applied to programs I had sincere interest in and wrote a sincere and honest personal statement about my goals, where I also alluded to the fact that I flourish outside the classroom. I was offered interviews at Weill Cornell and Berkeley, and I was invited to a reimbursed Penn open house back in October, where a grad student informed us they only invited the top applicants.

The point is, don't give up. Your performance in school and the GRE is not going to hurt you as much as you think, as long as you have demonstrated that you truly want this. If you feel your ECs don't support this, reach out to people, PIs. Let them know who you are and where you want to be. Nothing is set in stone until the semester actually begins.

I wish everyone here the best of luck.

Edited by AnotherThrowawayAccount

On 1/15/2019 at 2:54 AM, gummybear9 said:

Does anyone know if UCSD is done sending out interview offers? I haven’t gotten a rejection yet but I haven’t gotten an interview either. It’s making me nervous since UCSD is my top choice after being rejected from Berkeley/UCSF

I don’t know about UCSD but UCLA sent their interview offer out today and I saw that you also applied

Edited by girlbui

5 hours ago, girlbui said:

I don’t know about UCSD but UCLA sent their interview offer out today and I saw that you also applied

Yeah, UCLA has been sending offers out sporadically since very early January, so I don’t know when they’ll finish either

10 hours ago, Moods said:

@starkid Is the town that UD is in really that lame? How is it lame? I am wondering because I applied there for MSE.

"It's lame compared to a city, but it's not lame compared to a non-city."

The campus looks nice, and it's a party school, so "how lame could it be?"

^^ From my bf. I'm just itching to get out of town, lol. I don't really party or drink (turned 21 recently), so I thought the town was just so-so. My bf says there's lots of good places to eat, but I would say there are isolated great places to eat and no really good sushi joint in town, which is a crime. But there's an Indian place, an Afghan place, a Vietnamese place (soon two), and two really authentic Chinese places in town. (Also a family-run but only mediocre Japanese place). There's also several chain burrito and pizza joints, as well as an authentic Mexican place and other upscale dining establishments.

He's right that the campus is very pretty. The street layout is weird in that Main St. is a one-way street. As the university expanded I think they had to make new traffic patterns that are weird. The town is dominated/defined by the University, in my opinion. Makes sense to me, as the population of undergrads alone is like, ten times that of my puny home town. 

I'm not sure how to feel about our 'dance floor' restriction, but basically there's only one bar/restaurant where you're 'allowed to dance', which is because the town wants to lower the party-school reputation, I think. 

Anyway, there's more to say about UD but that's all I have in me for now.