Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering Applicant Profiles for 2019 Admission

Victorious Secret

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): large R1 state research university

Major(s): Biochemistry BS (<-- my biggest issue, although I have taken math up to linear algebra + some elective bme and cs courses)
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 4.00/4.00
Overall GPA: 4.00/4.00
Demographics/Background: Domestic asian female

GRE Scores:
Q: 170 (96%)
V: 162 (91%)
W: 5.0 (92%)

LOR: 3 very strong research LORs (1 from summer internship, 2 have been working under for 3+ years), +1 strong faculty LOR (very close to this professor and had two classes under them)

Research Experience: 7 months in immunotherapy, 3+ years in diagnostic tool/assay development and biomarker discovery, summer internship in diagnostic assays

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 3 research journal articles published (2nd, 3rd, and 6th author), 1 co-authored op-ed piece in peer-reviewed journal, 3 first author conference papers, 4 conference posters, 3 research journal articles in preparation

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Goldwater scholarship, 3rd for best paper at national conference, $20,000 research grant independently secured, 2 REUs (both at home university)

Fellowships/Funding: applied for NSF 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: president of a club and journal club director of another one

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: 10 published peer-reviewed encyclopedia articles (science related)

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.): 

Research Interests: synthetic biology, immunotherapy, stem cell, leaving it wide open for now...

Institutions/Programs: all BioE or BME- Stanford, UCB-UCSF, UW, Northwestern, Boston U, MIT, Harvard, Columbia

Interview- 0/8

Accepted-0/8

Rejected-0/8

Comments: What do you guys think (especially given my undergrad major not being engineering)? My desire to pursue a BioE phd evolved over the latter course of my undergraduate so didn't bother changing majors. 

•  
Edited by empress_empiria

31 minutes ago, empress_empiria said:

Undergrad Institution (approx. rank/reputation in STEM): large R1 state research university

Major(s): Biochemistry BS (<-- my biggest issue, although I have taken math up to linear algebra + some elective bme and cs courses)
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 4.00/4.00
Overall GPA: 4.00/4.00
Demographics/Background: Domestic asian female

GRE Scores:
Q: 170 (96%)
V: 162 (91%)
W: 5.0 (92%)

LOR: 3 very strong research LORs (1 from summer internship, 2 have been working under for 3+ years), +1 strong faculty LOR (very close to this professor and had two classes under them)

Research Experience: 7 months in immunotherapy, 3+ years in diagnostic tool/assay development and biomarker discovery, summer internship in diagnostic assays

Publications/Abstracts/Presentations: 3 research journal articles published (2nd, 3rd, and 6th author), 1 co-authored op-ed piece in peer-reviewed journal, 3 first author conference papers, 4 conference posters, 3 research journal articles in preparation

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Goldwater scholarship, 3rd for best paper at national conference, $20,000 research grant independently secured, 2 REUs (both at home university)

Fellowships/Funding: applied for NSF 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: president of a club and journal club director of another one

Other Miscellaneous Accomplishments: 10 published peer-reviewed encyclopedia articles (science related)

Anything else in your application that might matter (faculty connections, etc.): 

Research Interests: synthetic biology, immunotherapy, stem cell, leaving it wide open for now...

Institutions/Programs: all BioE or BME- Stanford, UCB-UCSF, UW, Northwestern, Boston U, MIT, Harvard, Columbia

Interview- 0/8

Accepted-0/8

Rejected-0/8

Comments: What do you guys think (especially given my undergrad major not being engineering)? My desire to pursue a BioE phd evolved over the latter course of my undergraduate so didn't bother changing majors. 

•  

I think you can get in literally anywhere with those stats. How did you manage to get so many publications holy crap. I wouldn't be too worried about the major - you're in a related field and as long as you meet (most of) the requirements for the programs and briefly address it in your statements it should be fine. From what I can tell most programs will accept a variety of majors. It's all (supposedly) about fit anyway.

10 minutes ago, gummybear9 said:

I think you can get in literally anywhere with those stats. How did you manage to get so many publications holy crap. I wouldn't be too worried about the major - you're in a related field and as long as you meet (most of) the requirements for the programs and briefly address it in your statements it should be fine. From what I can tell most programs will accept a variety of majors. It's all (supposedly) about fit anyway.

Oh man, thanks for the encouragement. Good luck to you too! FYI, saw your stats and you're def not average!

1 hour ago, empress_empiria said:

Sad that you're my competition for Columbia, UW, and NU! Profile looks solid to me.

Hello, hello! Another January, another influx of anxious applicants waiting to hear back from prospective schools. 

I'm a current 4th year BME PhD student at Johns Hopkins and am glad to see that several of you submitted applications here. I'm in Cell and Tissue Engineering, so if you have questions about research opportunities or Hopkins life, feel free to shoot me a message. I can already tell you that my lab will be recruiting heavily this year, as we'd like to accept a few students to replace our growing geriatric population of PhDs. 

Just wanted to pop in and wish you all good luck! 

Remember to drink lots of tea and relax--all will come together.

-MBC

31 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Well, I've been receiving greater LinkedIn notifications than usual. Hopefully that's a good sign.

(besides me compulsively refreshing my email and the results page...)

No kidding me too! When you say linkedin notifications do you mean ppl are looking into your profile? 

18 minutes ago, StHoly said:

No kidding me too! When you say linkedin notifications do you mean ppl are looking into your profile? 

Yep, searches and profile views. I don't use it often, so some are random companies. But a few are private viewers

20 minutes ago, empress_empiria said:

Anyone have an idea of which schools will come out this or next week? 

Maybe UT Austin, Duke, UW, or WashU? Just based on previous years' results

Stoked! Just got an interview invitation from WashU. I love their research, and I will definitely attend the visit. This is such a relief.

9 minutes ago, empress_empiria said:

I was thinking maybe MIT bc I saw they contacted some the first friday of last yr. But I also know they spread it out. 

I didn't apply to MIT, so I haven't been stalking when their results are usually released, hahaha. I hope you get one though!

21 minutes ago, sgaw10 said:

Stoked! Just got an interview invitation from WashU. I love their research, and I will definitely attend the visit. This is such a relief.

I didn't apply to MIT, so I haven't been stalking when their results are usually released, hahaha. I hope you get one though!

Omg congrats!!!!! 

1 hour ago, sgaw10 said:

Congrats!

Do you (or does anyone else) know if WashU sends out all their interview invitations at once? (Haven't gotten one yet today, and I'm not sure if I should be disappointed yet!) 

14 minutes ago, MJB100 said:

Congrats!

Do you (or does anyone else) know if WashU sends out all their interview invitations at once? (Haven't gotten one yet today, and I'm not sure if I should be disappointed yet!) 

I didn't apply there but I just skimmed the results section and it looks like they do the mostly in one day but there are some later. And today isn't even over yet!

And congrats @sgaw10!!

Edited by gummybear9

15 minutes ago, MJB100 said:

Congrats!

Thanks! Judging from past years, I think they will send batches over the next few weeks. Probably depends on POI.