Fall 2019 Phd Social Work /Welfare

Number4

1 hour ago, Number4 said:

What is you all’s opinions on sending a thank you letter after an interview ? 

I always send a follow-up thank you email after an interview. Usually something along the lines of:

"Dear X,

I appreciated the opportunity I had to interview with you last week. I thoroughly enjoyed discussing the emphasis on the collaborative learning and teaching environment [program name] has cultivated, as well as the program's commitment to social justice informed research. 

Thank you again for your time and consideration. I look forward to the next step in the application process. 

Best,"

Short, sweet, and to the point. Anecdotally, I've always received a warm response back. 

Edited by MCC778

Hey guys Anyone else get accepted to UChicago and will be attending amditted day next week March 7-8?? I have a few other offers plan on making a decision in 2 weeks

On 2/12/2019 at 2:16 PM, wonderingcosmo said:

I was accepted to UChicago & Columbia but I'm declining UChicago's offer because my advisor and I heard there may be new problems with the new Dean & accreditation process!

When I took a visit to UChicago in October i met with several faculty memebers allnwere excited about the new Dean. As. Graduate of Columbia there is a huge disconnect between the Dean (probably won’t be there when you arrive and the students) Columbia does have many supportive faculty memebers i must say who will make the experience great

On 2/27/2019 at 4:36 PM, MCC778 said:

I always send a follow-up thank you email after an interview. Usually something along the lines of:

"Dear X,

I appreciated the opportunity I had to interview with you last week. I thoroughly enjoyed discussing the emphasis on the collaborative learning and teaching environment [program name] has cultivated, as well as the program's commitment to social justice informed research. 

Thank you again for your time and consideration. I look forward to the next step in the application process. 

Best,"

Short, sweet, and to the point. Anecdotally, I've always received a warm response back. 

Writing this thank you note was almost as nerve-racking as the interview itself lol. But thank you ! 

46 minutes ago, Gradlife718 said:

I talked to someone at Maryland today and they said that more notifications will be sent out in 7-10 days. There is still hope!

No way!? Damn. I have accepted defeat. Nothing like getting a puppy after you've finished opening all your shitty Christmas presents (socks and sweaters) though, right?

5 hours ago, QueMono said:

No way!? Damn. I have accepted defeat. Nothing like getting a puppy after you've finished opening all your shitty Christmas presents (socks and sweaters) though, right?

I got mine early because I told them I had multiple offers; they told me they still had a bit to go through so no fret, you may hear good news!

Also, I will probably decline UMB (I promise not to wait too long, just waiting on counter offers for more funding from another school) so hopefully that opens an additional spot too.

Edited by MCC778

47 minutes ago, MCC778 said:

I got mine early because I told them I had multiple offers; they told me they still had a bit to go through so no fret, you may hear good news!

Also, I will probably decline UMB (I promise not to wait too long, just waiting on counter offers for more funding from another school) so hopefully that opens an additional spot too.

Touche' my friend. Touche'. Here's to a successful last inning comeback for me. Congratulations to you.

15 hours ago, briefinterviews said:

Results page shows an acceptance via website from Penn. Radio silence on my end and my application page looks the same.

Any one in the know care to share any details or intel?

I heard back from them two weeks ago, received an email to check the portal. 

3 hours ago, a.s. said:

I heard back from them two weeks ago, received an email to check the portal. 

Congratulations! Thanks so much for the information.

I am presuming a denial on my end, though I am not surprised. There was really only one faculty member whose research interests aligned with my own.

4 hours ago, briefinterviews said:

Congratulations! Thanks so much for the information.

I am presuming a denial on my end, though I am not surprised. There was really only one faculty member whose research interests aligned with my own.

I was denied actually. The letter stated it was due to no faculty member with available space for my research interests. I'm unsure if that's a generic part of the letter but with very specific interests I wouldn't be surprised if that had a significant impact on the denial.

1 hour ago, a.s. said:

I was denied actually. The letter stated it was due to no faculty member with available space for my research interests. I'm unsure if that's a generic part of the letter but with very specific interests I wouldn't be surprised if that had a significant impact on the denial.

My bad for presuming; I am very sorry to hear about the denial and hope you are hearing better news elsewhere this season!