Fall 2019 Phd Social Work /Welfare

Number4

On 2/15/2019 at 4:22 PM, TK1ninenine4 said:

Still waiting on U of M as well. When I emailed the admission office all they told me is that we would all hear by March 1st. Takes forever with U of M cause you gotta basically get past two admission committees.  

I feel you! This week is gonna be slow... 

1 hour ago, cookiemonster_ said:

I feel you! This week is gonna be slow... 

so very slow. And the results page is pretty dead today, so I can't even creep while religiously refreshing the page.

On 9/23/2018 at 9:56 PM, Helen S said:

Hi all,

I will also be applying to schools this fall. Previous background in research with suicidal adolescents followed by policy and research with the Philadelphia Mayor's anti-poverty office. My GRE scores: Writing-5, VR-157, QR-148 (so not that strong, but I have extensive research experience and decent statistical skills). I am currently getting my Master's at the University of Pennsylvania. My research interests can be summed up into: Researching and utilizing systems that provide efficient access to services for local city governments

The schools I will apply to in order of preference: University of Washington, Denver University, University of Chicago, University of Southern California, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, University of Maryland, Rutger's University

Hey! I applied to DU and UMB too! Have you heard anything back from either yet?

44 minutes ago, 9 of cups said:

Hey all saw a couple acceptances for Rutgers social work PhD on the results page.

posted last week

am I doomed

Not necessarily. You may be on a waitlist. Nothing's final until you receive official word on your portal or via an email/letter.

5 hours ago, Gradlife718 said:

Does anyone have an update on Maryland?

I haven't heard anything yet; the program coordinator told me earlier in the year that I should hear back by the end of February. Hope so--last one I'm waiting to hear from! 

On 2/25/2019 at 10:16 AM, Gradlife718 said:

No interview, just a decision. About 50 applicants only 5-6 accepted.

How do you know this information? 

I see the acceptances are coming in over time. A couple in the first week of fed and then one last week on the results page...

I thought they'd all go out at once? 

5 hours ago, 9 of cups said:

How do you know this information? 

I see the acceptances are coming in over time. A couple in the first week of fed and then one last week on the results page...

I thought they'd all go out at once? 

I know because I was accepted without an interview and I talked to the program director last week and she told me about the number of applicants. 

IDK about the timeline of acceptance notifications. 

Do you all think it's a bad idea to contact the director of admissions for a program? I emailed the professor who sponsored my application, and she said she'd reach out to the Head of the Admissions Committee/Admissions Director for the Doc program (idk the title) for me. It's been ~5 days. The professor sponsoring me asked in her reply to my email if I had reached out to the Director. I just thought that'd be inappropriate. 

13 hours ago, Gradlife718 said:

I know because I was accepted without an interview and I talked to the program director last week and she told me about the number of applicants. 

IDK about the timeline of acceptance notifications. 

Congrats to you!

do you know if you’ll be funded?

6 hours ago, MSW_MK said:

Do you all think it's a bad idea to contact the director of admissions for a program? I emailed the professor who sponsored my application, and she said she'd reach out to the Head of the Admissions Committee/Admissions Director for the Doc program (idk the title) for me. It's been ~5 days. The professor sponsoring me asked in her reply to my email if I had reached out to the Director. I just thought that'd be inappropriate. 

I would just send a follow up email to the sponsoring professor or call the director. In my experience, directors are always happy to hear from applicants. Good luck! 

7 hours ago, MSW_MK said:

I would only reach out if you've received offers from other universities and let them know you've received offers and you would like to inquire about your application so as to get back to each institution at a reasonable time. I've always heard mixed reviews (and it's really going to depend on the size of their applicant pool); many programs receive too many inquiries so unless there's a necessity to know prior to when they usually let you know (i.e., needing to get back to institutions that have already sent offers so other people on waitlists don't have to wait as long) then it's best to wait. If it's a program that traditionally gets a smaller amount of applicants, then following up might not be a bad idea. I would also reach out to graduate admissions/program coordinator before the sponsoring professor or director (unless they indicate otherwise) since professors and directors are typically much busier and there's the possibility of the email getting lost or not being responded to for an extended period of time. I also wouldn't be too upset about 5 days, especially if it's a really well-known professor, it doesn't necessarily mean they're ignoring it but it might be lower on their list of emails to get back to (fyi, it's nearing the end of grant season so many research professors are super busy right now!). I hope you have luck in hearing back soon (and in acceptance)! The waiting process can be super awful.

Edited by MCC778

On 2/25/2019 at 9:25 AM, Gradlife718 said:

Does anyone have an update on Maryland?

Got a new update today! I emailed their phd admissions to ask about my status so that I'd be able to get back to all institutions at a reasonable time. I was told that they were still reviewing applications and that they would try to get back to me about mine ASAP so that I could evaluate my options, which they indicated was Thursday 3/7 at the latest. So it seems like maybe they will be sending them out either the very end of next week or the following week or two. Hope that helps!