Is writing sample necessary for PhD in Social Psychology?

B1369

Hi everyone

I have a masters in family therapy which I completed in Iran and I am currently a Canadian resident. I want to apply for PhD in social psychology. Is it necessary to provide a writing sample in my application since I do not have any publications and my thesis is not in English? The application requirements for universities that I have checked so far do not mention anything about a writing sample

30 minutes ago, lewin said:

My understanding is that the "writing sample" consists of your personal or research statement (however they label it).

Thanks for replying

Back in Iran one of my classmates told me that they require a writing sample which is basically an article based on your  thesis, so they can assess your writing and research abilities. So that is completely inaccurate?

Edited by B1369

The personal statement/statement of purpose is different from the writing sample. A writing sample is an example of your academic writing. People usually use their thesis, but a paper you wrote for a class can also work, if you have any in English. You can reach out to the program to see what they typically have international students do. 

@Hk328 is correct, based on the programs that I saw. 

Alternatively, if you don't have an academic writing sample in English, you could also translate a chapter or two of your paper into English.  You might have to modify the language a bit to get the same nuance (I've heard that Arabic is dense/more detailed than English), but I imagine it would do the trick all the same.

1 hour ago, E-P said:

@Hk328 is correct, based on the programs that I saw. 

Alternatively, if you don't have an academic writing sample in English, you could also translate a chapter or two of your paper into English.  You might have to modify the language a bit to get the same nuance (I've heard that Arabic is dense/more detailed than English), but I imagine it would do the trick all the same.

Sorry to be completely obnoxious, but people in Iran speak Farsi, not Arabic. I'm part Iranian myself.

You'd want to upload something if the option is given I'd say. It's a good way to broadcast yourself. You never know what decisions come down too. Maybe they're deciding between you and another applicant, and a writing sample may be the final push.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:28 PM, ResilientDreams said:

Sorry to be completely obnoxious, but people in Iran speak Farsi, not Arabic. I'm part Iranian myself.

That's not obnoxious at all - thank you!  Too much time has passed since I made the post to edit it, but I appreciate the correction. ?

I'm elaborating because I don't think my previous phrasing captured my meaning. 

I meant that in response to this:

On 9/6/2018 at 4:08 PM, B1369 said:

The application requirements for universities that I have checked so far do not mention anything about a writing sample

...if they don't ask for a writing sample, it's not necessary. They'll judge your writing ability from the personal statement. In my experience, asking for a separate writing sample was uncommon. If they want one, and since you don't have a thesis, use a paper that was particularly well-written.