Should I leave this lab? The only task they’ve assigned me is data entry...

Alligator97

So I have a primary lab that I work in and am writing an honors thesis with. However, I decided to join another lab at my university that was of interest to me. The original plan was to do a directed study but no one was helping me determine if my topic was feasible with the current data so I gave up and said I’d just like to help with what is needed. I went to the two hour long lab meeting just to be told that I’ll be helping enter data into qualtrics. Wtf?? My whole goal here is to get my name on posters and if possible a paper. I feel awful because I just got to know the PI and was really eager to join but if there’s nothing for me to do what’s the point?? Advice? This is a psychology lab, qualitative research mainly.

Did you just join the lab? If so, I would give it time. Most PIs ease new students in. Get to know the study and the data better, and then you can approach the PI about a poster. In one of my old labs, the PI had a minimum amount of months someone needed to work in the lab  before they could start using the lab data for their own stuff. 

Edited by Hk328

1 hour ago, Alligator97 said:

So I have a primary lab that I work in and am writing an honors thesis with. However, I decided to join another lab at my university that was of interest to me. The original plan was to do a directed study but no one was helping me determine if my topic was feasible with the current data so I gave up and said I’d just like to help with what is needed. I went to the two hour long lab meeting just to be told that I’ll be helping enter data into qualtrics. Wtf?? My whole goal here is to get my name on posters and if possible a paper. I feel awful because I just got to know the PI and was really eager to join but if there’s nothing for me to do what’s the point?? Advice? This is a psychology lab, qualitative research mainly.

Are you in undergrad? What year are you?

This sort of thing happens. The PI probably just wants to get to know you better and as that happens you can start to ask for more independence. Also, don't panic if posters/publications don't actually happen. Sometimes you can be a super independent researcher, be contributing to a project, and then have the project turn out null or have it be rejected by the journal (that's been my experience). These things take time and undergrad is short and grad schools understand that. They just want to see that you've put yourself out there as much as possible. 

Edited by ResilientDreams
Typos

Don’t worry yet, you’ve just started. Most labs have their RAs begin with relatively simple tasks. I know it isn’t fun, but they’ll likely allow you to be more independent and take on more meaningful roles after you’ve been there awhile. There’s a lot of turnover for undergrad RAs and many just want to add a line to their CV, so they want to know that you’re reliable. 

And don’t put too much pressure on yourself for posters and pubs! It’s great if you can get them during undergrad, but lots of projects don’t work out or get pushed back. It’s most important that you get solid experience, and that will come as the lab gets to know you better :) 

9 hours ago, Alligator97 said:

The original plan was to do a directed study but no one was helping me determine if my topic was feasible with the current data so I gave up and said I’d just like to help with what is needed. I went to the two hour long lab meeting just to be told that I’ll be helping enter data into qualtrics. Wtf??

Hope this doesn't offend you but you sound rather entitled. You specifically said "I'd just like to help with what is needed", apparently that's data entry. If you don't want to do that then maybe go back to trying the directed study with this lab, don't give up on it if no one helps you. (To be fair I don't know the context so maybe you've stuck with it for a while before finally giving in). If data entry is what you're stuck with then make it into a learning experience for yourself - qualtrics has an API which can allow you to figure out a way to programmatically perform the data entry. This would be great since then it'd drastically reduce the probability of error during entry, then having come up with your fancy new way to enter data you can show it to others and teach others in the lab, which I'm sure would def up the interest in your membership in the lab. In additional you'd have taught yourself how to program (if you don't already know), and further still - now you have a valuable skill to take into your graduate studies if that's the plan.

Edited by kalman_gain

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to sound a little harsh, but your post is making you come off as a bit entitled. It is very rare that students, especially at the undergraduate level, are able to design and conduct their own studies in a research lab as soon as they join one. In fact, I would even say it's uncommon after a year. Helping out with the PI and the graduate students' ongoing projects, potentially using some of their data to create a poster are much more realistic goals.

Typically you will only be given lower level duties when you start in a lab, as trust is something that has to be built. All of us in grad school have started our research beginnings doing things like data entry, it is normal. But to answer your question, I guess it depends on what your main goals are. If it's to get to do your own study in a relatively quick time-frame, you may not want to stay in the lab unless you're willing to commit to spending at least a semester or two working there first. 

I agree with a lot of what has been said. For context, this is what is in my lab manual for goals for undergraduate RAs. Students can do the later steps earlier, but they have to get through the other stuff on the way:

After one year of participation, students are expected to:

Become familiar with lab procedures

Assist in research projects/Aid graduate students with project(s)

Begin to establish an understanding of the research process/steps

After two years of participation, students are expected to:

Come up with I-wonder or research questions

Familiarize self with literature pertaining to research projects of interest

Pitch a research idea/proposal to PI (end of second year)

After three or more years of participation, students are expected to:

Take initiative/be a leader to newer RA’s in the lab

Demonstrate skills in one of the following areas:

Literature review

Conducting a research project

Faculty here. Having had many undergraduate come through with great ideas, interests, and ambitions, the one thing that holds many back is motivation. I can't count on the number of times someone comes in, telling me all the research he/she wants to do, but when it comes times to do the work, nothing is done.

As a result, I have learned to be encouraging but also set my expectations low. I will not commit resources or energy unless they (undergrad) have proven him/herself to be reliable and accountable.