2019 Education Applications

Infinite glitter

2 hours ago, CaliEdSchoolNerd said:

I am currently applying to programs in urban education. I feel like I'm a little late to the party, since working two jobs and dealing with various life issues has delayed some of my progress on applications, but now I feel like I'm back on track with just a couple weeks to go before due dates. I have one quick question: do admissions committees expect that all LoR come from PhD's? One of my recommenders is from my last teaching position, and does not have a terminal degree. I asked him to focus his letter on my research and development of a new curriculum sequence for our school, so it should still have a research focus. Some schools indicated that a professional reference was preferred over just academic ones, while one of my schools seems to require that recommenders have doctorates. Should I reach out to a backup recommender with a PhD just in case? Thanks, and good luck everyone!

Welcome here! You are never late to continue your studies, especially in education. HGSE mentions that their eldest master student to be some 60+, while Ph.D. to be some 35+ if my memory serves me well.

However, I'm also a bit hesitating about the source of LoR, and my situation is even more complex. I'm running my own business, although it succeeds in many senses,  it seems that I cannot recommend myself. Shall I find some partners to write LoR, or simply find someone with Ph.D. or Professor title? 

On 11/14/2018 at 10:57 PM, CaliEdSchoolNerd said:

Lol I'm 30, so I'm not particularly worried that I can't hack it (and as you said, education in particular has a tendency to attract second career academics), but thanks for the encouragement ?

Yay I'm 30 too! Most people here seem to be recently out of college. Re: your LOR question, one of my recommenders also isn't a PhD. I figured there should be at least one professional reference in there, and not many professions require supervisors to have PhDs, so I'd assume they don't expect it? I'm a teacher, so one of my letters is from my department head. I feel like I've been running a marathon this whole semester, between juggling full time teaching, apps and my kids, but let's hope it's good preparation for grad school, right? Good luck with the home stretch!

Hi all! I hope you are all doing well given deadlines are coming up for most places quickly! Remember to relax, breathe, and stay confident! I remember this was a stressful few weeks for me last year! For LORs, it really depends on what type of a program you are applying to (not just a master's vs PhD). If the program is very research focused and they want applicants who are wanting to do research and will be doing research throughout the program, then your LOR should be someone who can speak to those important research skills and experience. The master's at my institution is heavily research focused and has an even more rigorous master's track for people who want to "springboard" into the PhD. If you are applying to a PhD then I would recommend all of your letters at least mention your ability to conduct research. Strategically select people who can attest to your success as many PhD students burn out by the time they get to their dissertation research and it is quite common to not finish because the research is overwhelming. Also, if you have a good idea of what you want to research, maybe not a specific research question, but a general topic, include it in your statement of purpose.

Lastly about the age of students, in my program, most PhD students are between 25-40. Master's students are between 23 and 50. 

Oh I am sooooo glad I found this thread!

I am applied for a PhD in Higher Education at University of Toronto (OISE) around a month ago.

Now, all my other friends studying in Canada secured the approval of a PhD supervisors prior to applying. 

In my case the best I could get is "apply and put my name in the letter of intent". 

I have a good research record (10 publications between peer reviewed journals and conference papers) and a high GPA for the Masters Degree.

I am stressed because other friends got a reply within a couple of weeks (not University of Toronto though) and told me that if I was approved, I would be accepted soon.

What do you guys think? Would I be accepted even if there was no guaranteed supervisor?

Thanks!

On 11/23/2018 at 5:03 AM, AMUG said:

Oh I am sooooo glad I found this thread!

I am applied for a PhD in Higher Education at University of Toronto (OISE) around a month ago.

Now, all my other friends studying in Canada secured the approval of a PhD supervisors prior to applying. 

In my case the best I could get is "apply and put my name in the letter of intent". 

I have a good research record (10 publications between peer reviewed journals and conference papers) and a high GPA for the Masters Degree.

I am stressed because other friends got a reply within a couple of weeks (not University of Toronto though) and told me that if I was approved, I would be accepted soon.

What do you guys think? Would I be accepted even if there was no guaranteed supervisor?

Thanks!

I think your profile is good enough. I have heard from Northwestern's professor saying that most of their applicants were without publication or research experience. It may depend on your program but be confident about yourself.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:17 AM, 2019edhopeful said:

Is anyone here applying to UPenn? I'm curious-how do they interview international students who can't go to doctoral weekend?

I applied to the Ed.D. program in Higher Ed!  I got the confirmation email that my app was received, but there was no word of an interview weekend.  I'm assuming there still is one, though?  I would guess they would do some kind of Skype call instead for international students?

Just saying hi and good luck to everyone!  I've applied to a special education doctoral program and a clinical psych program -- I have a behavioral background, and I looked at faculty and clinic/lab experience opportunities in alignment with my research interests.  ?The waiting game is no fun...

Good luck everyone!? Now the waiting game ?

I am glad I can't really obsessively check the site yet - not very many results posts from Education PhD programs yet. I've applied to schools for science Ed so looking forward to connecting/working with some of you (hopefully) in the future. I've only heard of 2/11 schools I applied to (early Dec deadlines) which makes me nervous for the others but I should realistically wait for Jan/Feb.

Just want to say congrats to everyone who  completed apps while in the midst of the DEVOLSON, we made it through!

On 12/15/2018 at 9:32 PM, naoone said:

Good luck everyone!? Now the waiting game ?

I am glad I can't really obsessively check the site yet - not very many results posts from Education PhD programs yet. I've applied to schools for science Ed so looking forward to connecting/working with some of you (hopefully) in the future. I've only heard of 2/11 schools I applied to (early Dec deadlines) which makes me nervous for the others but I should realistically wait for Jan/Feb.

Just want to say congrats to everyone who  completed apps while in the midst of the DEVOLSON, we made it through!

Welcome! My current work is about the application of technology to STEM education. 

The waiting game is already making me crazy. I only applied to 5 programs...all in all, the apps, GRE, score reports, transcripts, international calls etc cost so much after currency conversion, I had to work extra hours for 2 months just to afford it. I'm so burnt out after the app season (also juggling a full time job and two kids), I'm seriously worried about how I'll handle grad school...

Just wanted to let people know that I heard back from my first school, the University of Minnesota. I was accepted to their PhD program!

I'm still waiting to hear back from UT Austin, Harvard, and Vanderbilt. Anyone have updates from any of these schools?

Just thought I would add UM was Special Ed through the Ed. Psych Department and UT Austin and Vandy are also SPED and Harvard is a PhD with a concentration in EPPE.

Edited by SPEDucator

Hi all, I'm applying to the Fall 2019 masters programs in international education.

GRE: VA - 154, QA - 165,  AWA - 4

TOEFL:  110/120

GPA: 3.91/4.00 (Physics Honors)

Work Ex: 6+ years in global consulting

Pro-Bono/Voluntary experience (parallel to my full-time work ex): 7+ years in Education, including leading the Corporate Social Responsibility engagements at my firm for 5+ years now. I'm leading the engagements with a learning center close to work, and have designed 3 programs - Math/Science remedial, English presentation, and Career Counseling. 

Masters Programs I'm applying for fall 2019: IEP at HGSE, IEDP at UPenn, IEPM at Vanderbilt, International Education (George Washington University), SSCE at UCLA, MPA at MIIS (Middlebury).

I know it is a long list. I am also considering IED at TC (should I? Have not heard good reviews) and International Education at NYU Steinhardt (again, should I? No funding for International students). For both TC and NYU have heard that faculty is not that approachable and TAs take most of the classes. Can anyone shed some light? Also, can someone talk about the George Washington experience? I am yet to submit my application for all these and they are due in another week or two.

I have been accepted for the MPA at MIIS with Spanish as my language. I know this is not as big as the reputed ones, but the program looks very promising in terms of curriculum, faculty, and above all the professional and language focus for an international career. Anyone anything? 

On 12/20/2018 at 4:10 PM, SPEDucator said:

Just wanted to let people know that I heard back from my first school, the University of Minnesota. I was accepted to their PhD program!

I'm still waiting to hear back from UT Austin, Harvard, and Vanderbilt. Anyone have updates from any of these schools?

Just thought I would add UM was Special Ed through the Ed. Psych Department and UT Austin and Vandy are also SPED and Harvard is a PhD with a concentration in EPPE.

Woo hoo!  I'm in at Minnesota, too - Department of Curriculum and Instruction, Literacy Education focus.  Minnesota is ideal for us personally if we're going to relocate - family and friends and great job prospects for my spouse.  Just playing wait and see with other programs now - especially Harvard (CIS PhD) and Wisconsin (C&I).  

On 12/20/2018 at 4:10 PM, SPEDucator said:

Congrats! Let me know if you have any U of M questions! I am happy to answer from the perspective of a first year there.

7 hours ago, eternalreturn said:

Woo hoo!  I'm in at Minnesota, too - Department of Curriculum and Instruction, Literacy Education focus.  Minnesota is ideal for us personally if we're going to relocate - family and friends and great job prospects for my spouse.  Just playing wait and see with other programs now - especially Harvard (CIS PhD) and Wisconsin (C&I).  

Congratulations to you as well! That is my department, so if you have any questions, feel free to reach out! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Heard back from University of Maryland and I got in! The waiting game for the other 5 schools is stressing me out some, but hopefully some of the other programs will post decisions sooner rather than later. Hoping for good news for everyone here!! 

Congratulations on the good news, @SPEDucator and @FutureEdPHD! Gotta say - hearing about admissions decisions elsewhere is helping me with the wait. Great to know more institutions are getting to decisions, even if they aren't yet the ones currently deciding my future. 

2 hours ago, eternalreturn said:

Congratulations on the good news, @SPEDucator and @FutureEdPHD! Gotta say - hearing about admissions decisions elsewhere is helping me with the wait. Great to know more institutions are getting to decisions, even if they aren't yet the ones currently deciding my future. 

Where are you waiting to hear from? I'm waiting on Vandy and Harvard, but as I said. I don't expect to get in to either.

7 hours ago, eternalreturn said:

Thanks @eternalreturn! I swear I check this site way more than I should but I feel the same way. Just knowing that other people are getting decisions makes me think that my other schools must be getting around to make a decision sometime soon. Harvard and Wisconsin are amazing programs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!