2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

Hey y'all!

I applied for the early decision option. The employer member status for me is currently at "Held" (which is surprisingly early to me!). It was actually set to "Matched" last week after I got an email from GEM. Haven't heard back from any employers yet. Also, this could change to "Released" as far as I know, so just seeing what happens.

3 hours ago, _theSCHOLAR_ said:

ALSO, as far as what I've read from past threads, companies that you may not have listed could have your application on "Held" so ihdk which company to reach out to lol

I believe they reach out to you. But that's awesome! I hope it all goes well!

On 11/28/2018 at 9:38 PM, cf6049 said:

@Moods Maybe I'm being too hopeful in thinking this but does this mean that even if a corporate sponsor doesn't select us we still get some sort of fellowship sponsorship? 

I think we have a higher chance of getting funding even if we don't get a corporate sponsor. One of the university GEM members have to agree to sponsor you so you can become an associate GEM fellow. I think getting the email, and getting past this first hump, is good. So, hopefully one of the schools you apply to will want to sponsor you!

4 hours ago, cjmags said:

I just checked and my member status now says selected, but I haven't received an email or phone call. I was expecting to be interviewed before being selected. Is this normal? If it makes a difference, I have worked at this employer previously but that was over a year ago.

What the...?
That's interesting (congrats? lol) 
Also, since you were selected did you receive an email/notification telling you the company that selected you? 

My status is on "Held" and I do not know which company has my application.

44 minutes ago, _theSCHOLAR_ said:

What the...?
That's interesting (congrats? lol) 
Also, since you were selected did you receive an email/notification telling you the company that selected you? 

My status is on "Held" and I do not know which company has my application.

Still no email but it says the company in the employer member status section. I never saw mine even go to "held". Did you get notified when it was held?

11 hours ago, cjmags said:

Still no email but it says the company in the employer member status section. I never saw mine even go to "held". Did you get notified when it was held?

I received no notification of the status changed to "Held" on my application. I didn't even receive a notification when it changed to "Matched," lol
But that's good to know that the company name is shown once you're selected!

1 hour ago, _theSCHOLAR_ said:

I received no notification of the status changed to "Held" on my application. I didn't even receive a notification when it changed to "Matched," lol
But that's good to know that the company name is shown once you're selected!

I just accepted and now it doesn't show the company name again. lol

1 hour ago, ray92 said:

That is awesome congrats!

Thanks!

Not sure if you stayed around after the technical difficulties but it was postponed until Monday. The moderator said they'll be sending out a followup email. (I left work early for this . . smh lol  ?)

2 hours ago, cf6049 said:

Not sure if you stayed around after the technical difficulties but it was postponed until Monday. The moderator said they'll be sending out a followup email. (I left work early for this . . smh lol  ?)

Yep, I saw the email now. Good times. Sorry you left work early for that :(. Also, if you still need someone to still look at your SOP, I can take a look. Just PM me a link to a google doc, if that's alright. I already turned in my applications, so I don't need you to look at my SOPs.

9 minutes ago, ray92 said:

Has anyone received emails about interviews? Does anyone know what happens if a company wants to sponsor you but you do not get in to a graduate program?

I am not entirely sure, but I think if you don't the internship sadly if you don't get into a graduate program.

17 hours ago, Moods said:

Yep, I saw the email now. Good times. Sorry you left work early for that :(. Also, if you still need someone to still look at your SOP, I can take a look. Just PM me a link to a google doc, if that's alright. I already turned in my applications, so I don't need you to look at my SOPs.

Sent you a PM :) 

1 hour ago, ray92 said:

Is everyone a PhD or a M.S? Just talked to GEM and they stated that usually if your a PhD candidate and made it this far you are about 95% to get sponsored by a company or a national lab.

Who from GEM said this? :o I'm applying as a Ph.D. and I've never wanted anything more than to be accepted into at least 1 program..lol

Edited by cf6049