2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

Hi all!

So, I noticed a forum hasn't been created for the GEM Fellowship 2019 applicants. I was wondering if anyone else is applying this year and/or has advice on applying for it. This is my first year applying, and I am having some trouble with the personal statement. What have you all included in your statements? Also, here we can update each other on our statuses and discuss any other questions people may have.

Here are the links to a few of the past years of these discussions:

GEM 2018

GEM 2017

GEM 2016

GEM 2015

GEM 2014

22 hours ago, hope212 said:

Did you (or anyone else) apply early decision? Also have you been contacted by any employers? 

I did apply early decision, but I have yet to be contacted by any employers and my employer status still stays unmatched. However, according to what I read in the previous forums, people didn't start getting contacted until early next year, so there is still hope for us yet!

I started on my statement now and what I have been focusing on are detailing my career and graduate goals as well as my research interests and how my interests led me to apply to grad school, and how this fellowship will help me achieve my goals as an engineering and researcher.

Hi all! 

I found out about this Fellowship recently and have started preparing for it as well. Can anyone walk me through the process of the decision intimation? 

Do I have to contact the GEM representative for the schools I’m applying to?  

Also, do they notify us if we got selected and then match us, or does our selection completely depend on the sponsor companies? 

Thanks! 

On 10/21/2018 at 7:43 AM, gradstudent6 said:

Hi all! 

I found out about this Fellowship recently and have started preparing for it as well. Can anyone walk me through the process of the decision intimation? 

Do I have to contact the GEM representative for the schools I’m applying to?  

Also, do they notify us if we got selected and then match us, or does our selection completely depend on the sponsor companies? 

Thanks! 

You don't have to contact the GEM reps for the schools you're applying to - the deadline for them to acknowledge that you applied in their system is like a month after the application submission deadline. I only contacted the rep for my school once I had accepted an offer because I didn't get an offer from a sponsor company, which is how I became a fellow through my institution. 

Selection for the full GEM fellowship (with the internship and 3+ years of funding) depends on the sponsor companies, who will reach out to you for interviews. People last year also applied to internship positions at companies they wanted to sponsor them and/or reached out to the diversity/GEM reps at those companies to get their foot in the door, which seemed to be a fairly successful approach. However, your institution can also agree to sponsor you as a GEM University Fellow, where you don't do the internship and the terms of your funding depend on what your institution wants to give you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 10:45 PM, americanchick12 said:

I was told early decision applicants would be notified before GEM starting reviewing everyone else's applications.  If you applied early decision and did not receive an e-mail, then that means your application went into the regular pile with everyone else's. 

Is this true? Is it possible for you to state who told you that and if you got an email of your acceptance?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@cf6049 I also received an email. Does this mean that if we are accepted to a GEM graduate school we will obtain the fellowship?

Not sure. I would assume you have to also be selected by one of their corporate sponsors as well before formally obtaining the fellowship.

I got an email as well today and my employer status changed to matched (@ray92) . I am not sure this happened before or after the email, but yeah. I have attached the meaning of the different statuses of the employer status that I got from a previous forum.

Status Change Definitions

1. Matched - GEM thinks you're a good candidate and matched you with a company(companies) 
  2. Held - A company is reviewing your credentials and is considering an interview extension
  3. Release - if you went from Held to Release then the company was looking at you, but decided to pick another scholar. (This can happen after an interview also).
  4. Accepted - You got a company sponsor! Congrats!

Also, you don't have to be sponsored by a company to get a GEM Fellowship. Just by a university, I think. If you don't get a company sponsor, then you get an associate fellowship and less funding and no internship, I think.

@Moods Maybe I'm being too hopeful in thinking this but does this mean that even if a corporate sponsor doesn't select us we still get some sort of fellowship sponsorship? 

16 hours ago, Moods said:

I got an email as well today and my employer status changed to matched (@ray92) . I am not sure this happened before or after the email, but yeah. I have attached the meaning of the different statuses of the employer status that I got from a previous forum.

Status Change Definitions

1. Matched - GEM thinks you're a good candidate and matched you with a company(companies) 
  2. Held - A company is reviewing your credentials and is considering an interview extension
  3. Release - if you went from Held to Release then the company was looking at you, but decided to pick another scholar. (This can happen after an interview also).
  4. Accepted - You got a company sponsor! Congrats!

Also, you don't have to be sponsored by a company to get a GEM Fellowship. Just by a university, I think. If you don't get a company sponsor, then you get an associate fellowship and less funding and no internship, I think.

My status also changed to matched, I just checked this morning. At least for me, this must have happened after the email because I also checked right when i received the email and it was still unmatched.

@Manufan5 Ah okay, I think that is my case as well. My optimistic side like @cf6049 hopes since we received the email we will receive some sort of funding even if it inst the full fellowship but a subcategory.  My pessimistic side thinks all that email was that we successfully followed directions and filled out the application correctly.

@Manufan5 I think it really depends on the company and how active they are in the process. I am sure some companies are on top of it may be interviewing already. Some may wait until after the holidays due to how many employees leave for the holidays. I am sure you may start receiving emails and phone calls as early as next week up until maybe May. Just like a normal job interview the company will interview multiple candidates, so once you have an interview you may not hear back for a week or so.