2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

6 hours ago, ray92 said:

That is an awesome dream! You are on you on your way to your dream have you looked at FermiLab?

Thanks! I have heard of FermiLab. The work they do is a bit too physic-y for me, but it is pretty amazing what they do there. Accelerators are super cool!

Just curious has anyone been accepted a college or had interviews with them? Also does anyone have 3 school verify that they applied? I know it is early an it is the holiday break but I am just curious lol

1 hour ago, Nait said:

I was selected!!!!! I'm so excited and I didn't know who else to tell. 

Just to make sure, this means I got the fellowship right? There aren't any extra hurdles?

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A company selected you or you received the full Fellowship. In order to receive the full fellowship two things need to happen:

1. A company sponsor

2. Acceptance to a college with funding - from my knowledge this will pop up on egem portal with a contract.

THAT IS AWESOME CONGRATS!

2 hours ago, ray92 said:

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A company selected you or you received the full Fellowship. In order to receive the full fellowship two things need to happen:

1. A company sponsor

2. Acceptance to a college with funding - from my knowledge this will pop up on egem portal with a contract.

THAT IS AWESOME CONGRATS!

Thank you!!!

Hey so I had a couple of questions that maybe some of you know the answer to.

In the application, I chose an engineering field because that's the department I applied to for my top choice school. However, I also applied to science departments of other universities. My questions are:  Will the GEM fellowship only be offered for an engineering department?  Do my applications to physics departments of GEM Member Universities count towards the three required?

I tried to contact GEM, but realize that they are closed now...

Thanks! :)

@Tom96 I do not think it matters what department you are accepted to as long as it falls in one these categories:

Aeronautical Engineering
Aerospace
Agricultural Engineering
Analytical Chemistry
Anatomy
Automotive
Biochemistry
Bioengineering
Biology
Biomedical Engineering
Chemical Engineering

Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Computer Science
Electrical Engineering
Environmental Engineering
Environmental Science
Industrial Engineering
Information Systems
Inorganic Chemistry
Manufacturing Engineering
Materials Engineering

Materials Science
Mathematics
Mechanical Engineering
Metallurgical Engineering
Nuclear Engineering
Operations Research
Organic Chemistry
Petroleum Engineering
Physics
Structural Engineering
Systems Engineering

Physics made the list so I think your applications count toward the required 3 programs.  I think the category in the application essentially are for the employees to indicate interested applicants in that field. The companies are essential investing into a future employee and they want to select candidates that are interested in that field of study so you will work for them after your specific program ends. So if you are interested in physics but indicated engineering on your application you should call GEM and see if they can change it so you do not loose out on employers. If you get accepted to a physics program and a company sponsors then you will obtain the GEM Fellowship

Edited by ray92

On 12/16/2018 at 1:39 PM, ray92 said:

@Moods What kind of physics do you want to do? I am sure you will get into a school? Are you published at all?

I actually am not much of a physics person. I think it is cool, but I struggled with it in college. The only physics I am good at is materials science-based physics, like mechanical properties, but beyond that, I suck. I am sticking more with the biology side of materials science. I hope I get in! I hope you do too! And I haven't :( . Have you?

7 hours ago, ray92 said:

Did you interview? If so when did you interview and when did you get notified?

Thank you!! It is with a national lab, which is my dream. Who would have thought?!!? And that's great that you still have your name in papers. And surprisingly, I didn't do an interview. I just happened to check GEM today and there it was that I have a sponsor and I accepted it.