2019 GEM Fellowship

Teaching Faculty Wannabe

Just now, ray92 said:

Lol well... I hope they fix it next year so the applicants can hear the question and answer section of the webinar

Doesn't look like there's going to be a Q&A..

@TITX Yeah. I hope they fix it next year though so others can hear doesnt help the community of all of us send individual emails and also ask the same questions but there inbox is about to flooded with emails lol

3 minutes ago, ray92 said:

@TITX Yeah. I hope they fix it next year though so others can hear doesnt help the community of all of us send individual emails and also ask the same questions but there inbox is about to flooded with emails lol

yea but if all they do is read off the slides . . i mean i coulda done that myself l0l . well back to purgatory ?

I was matched in late November. About two days later, I was held. And then a week later, I was back to matched. (At this point, I'm going crazy--high blood pressure).

Then on December 11th, I was held again. On January 8th, I received an email from an employer asking about my availability for an interview. Two days later, I interviewed with a manager from that company. The same day after the interview, on January 10th, my status changed to selected (I'm guessing the interview went really well for them to confirm that fast). On that same day, I saw a message at the top of my profile that read: "Congratulations! One or more universities have indicated that they have accepted you and are willing to sponsor you. We need you to let us know which university you intend to matriculate through. Click here to let us know where you're going to go."

I then confirmed my employer and my status changed to accepted. The employer company set up multiple other interviews with other managers from different department at that company with me. I guess it is for me to select a team that best aligns with my interest. I'm currently going through those interviews. I've already completed four of them.

As of today, I've been confirmed by 5 schools I applied to and accepted with funding at one of the 5. 

I really hope all of you get to hear some excellent news too! Best of luck to all GEM fam!!!

I used to check the site like every two hours during the day. 

Edited by sirTintin

@Letsgethisbread same but with the whole grad school process and this included . What discourages me is that, like you, I've been matched since forever and my interests led me to list national labs as my employer choices which gives me imposter syndrome af cuz my objective stats aren't that great. Based off what the presenters were saying just now over 600 people were on the webinar and i counted a little over 100 GEM fellows from the 2018 page, you do the math . . What kinda ticked me off during the presentation was when the presenter said "Even if you are not selected, you will be part of the GEM family." wut? lol What does that entail? Mentorship? A small wad of cash? like wassup?? ykno? I could go on . . but I feel you

Edited by TITX

Just now, Tesla01 said:

I already applied to three GEM schools. If I apply to a four GEM school after January 15th, will I still be considered for funding for the fourth school?

I think this is in the Q&A PDF, but I think that if you intend to use the GEM at that school (number four), you have to apply before Jan. 15th even if its deadline is past the 15th.

So @ anyone who has been selected by an employer, how long did it take for you guys to hear back about being selected? Not sure who I saw saying that they saw their status change immediately after the call, but did it take anyone else longer? I had a phone call last week that I thought went well and I sent a thank you e-mail, but I haven't heard anything else about it since. I'm dyin here ;-;

@thejellybean Mine took about a week. I had an interview then an email from them stating that they want to move forward, they took about a day to update egem. So I really think it depends on the company, I would treat this as a normal hiring process and maybe email them about two weeks or so after? I once had an interview with a company for an internship it took them 3 months to make a decision. So maybe no news is good news?

19 hours ago, TITX said:

@Letsgethisbread same but with the whole grad school process and this included . What discourages me is that, like you, I've been matched since forever and my interests led me to list national labs as my employer choices which gives me imposter syndrome af cuz my objective stats aren't that great. Based off what the presenters were saying just now over 600 people were on the webinar and i counted a little over 100 GEM fellows from the 2018 page, you do the math . . What kinda ticked me off during the presentation was when the presenter said "Even if you are not selected, you will be part of the GEM family." wut? lol What does that entail? Mentorship? A small wad of cash? like wassup?? ykno? I could go on . . but I feel you

Well I am happy to hear that I am not alone on this boat. And I was thinking the same thing when they said there were 600 people logged on. Although I think some of those logged on might have been non-gem applicants. The one thing I am really happy about though has been all the application waivers we get. It really helped me make this process more financially feasible for me. 

Has anyone who interviewed or been contacted by employers apply to a specific position? I've been on the "matched" status since the day of the email back in November but haven't heard anything or seen any change in the status.

In any case I'm a bit confused on the process itself. The employers are suppose to contact us for a position where they see fit based on our resume from GEM right? Is it correct to assume that we aren't "required" to apply to a position at the company in order for that employer to be able to consider our resume through GEM?