Fall 2019 Applicants

phonotactless

On 1/1/2019 at 11:26 PM, ResilientDreams said:

Did anyone else here apply to the program at Maryland?

I did! I had an interview a few weeks ago, and then nothing. I haven't been invited for the prospective students open house either, I feel so nervous as it is my top choice. 

1 minute ago, Gaunter O'Dimm said:

Sorry, I know for a fact it means it's over if you don't get invited.

Without a bit more substantiation (who you are, or how this came to be known by you, without naming any names), that's more like troubling hearsay than reliable insight into one's application status. (Not a UMD applicant; just sayin')

3 hours ago, chomsk33t said:

Without a bit more substantiation (who you are, or how this came to be known by you, without naming any names), that's more like troubling hearsay than reliable insight into one's application status. (Not a UMD applicant; just sayin')

Considering they make the decision about who is admitted after the open day (as detailed in the open day invitation), I read it as "Welcome to round 2 of the interviews."

47 minutes ago, There&BackAgain said:

Considering they make the decision about who is admitted after the open day (as detailed in the open day invitation), I read it as "Welcome to round 2 of the interviews."

Thanks for the comment. I am confused just because my POI told me it was okay not to be invited; however, he also added it did not mean that it would be positive for sure. I thought I had a great interview. This process is killing me. Good luck y'all. 

1 minute ago, Kcank said:

Thanks for the comment. I am confused just because my POI told me it was okay not to be invited; however, he also added it did not mean that it would be positive for sure. I thought I had a great interview. This process is killing me. Good luck y'all. 

No worries. I mean I don't have cast iron proof either obviously. All I know is what the invite said and how I interpreted it so there is obviously still some leeway. The sceptic in me is suspicious though that anyone would be flying in people from abroad just for an info session. That being said this is my first time around the block so I am literally a newbie at this, so pinch of salt and everything. Keeping my fingers crossed for you too!

5 hours ago, chomsk33t said:

Current Harvard student and was rejected by UMD after an interview.

Hey guys! First-time poster brought out of the woodwork by nerves. 

Have any of you heard back about Georgetown's wait-list? I still haven't heard anything, which suggest to me that I'm not getting in, but I would love to at least have some finality to it. This was the only school I applied to because, to be frank, it's the only school close enough for me to attend, and I'm interested in both sociolinguistics and cognitive science. 

I work at a university (doing grants administration) so I understand that they're probably leaving some people on the hook for a reason, and some people are being left for the big batch of rejections at the end of the process. I just wish I knew more about their wait-list process. 

Anyway, a big congrats to everyone who has been accepted already, and my best wishes to all of you still waiting! 

Edited by DangerousLanguage

Great to see that Amherst released their decisions. Big congrats to the admitted prospies! I'm still particularly interested to hear from Stanford, plus two more that I'd like to know the results of, regardless of my intention to take or leave their offers at this point. Those would be Rutgers and UConn, who seem to be taking their time deliberating.

When I sit on one of these committees, I will do my best to see these decisions being made promptly. ?

31 minutes ago, Mohsb said:

I applied to 9 schools and so far  rejected by  Harvard, Yale, Chicago, Arizona,  MIT and Cornell but have not  heard back from Stanford, Upenn and Maryland. 

I also applied to ten schools and have been rejected by seven of them. 

Let's stay positive T_T sob sob 

I applied to six and was officially rejected by three so far, but with Penn and Stanford I’m really quite sure we’re just waiting for the courtesy of a formal rejection letter because they sent out their interview invitations literally a month ago... so for me, everything is hanging on Washington, and if not that, then the MA programs I applied to in Europe. if none of those work out either... guess I’m stuck in retail limbo for another year. 

6 hours ago, phonotactless said:

I applied to six and was officially rejected by three so far, but with Penn and Stanford I’m really quite sure we’re just waiting for the courtesy of a formal rejection letter because they sent out their interview invitations literally a month ago... so for me, everything is hanging on Washington, and if not that, then the MA programs I applied to in Europe. if none of those work out either... guess I’m stuck in retail limbo for another year. 

Let's not lose our hope even if we are rejected by all schools. There must be a way through which we can go forward, be it academia or a different path. But, until you hear from Washington,  I wish you all the best! 

57 minutes ago, sedulous said:

Let's not lose our hope even if we are rejected by all schools. There must be a way through which we can go forward, be it academia or a different path. But, until you hear from Washington,  I wish you all the best! 

oh for sure, I’m already lowkey strategising on how to be better next cycle if I don’t get in anywhere lmao

but in the meantime... retail limbo

11 hours ago, phonotactless said:

Days ago I emailed the department at Stanford asking why I have not been invited for the interview  and today they replied "Not all of the students we admit are interviewed and our admissions decision is coming soon, in mid March!"

2 minutes ago, Mohsb said:

Days ago I emailed the department at Stanford asking why I have not been invited for the interview  and today they replied "Not all of the students we admit are interviewed and our admissions decision is coming soon, in mid March!"

honestly, I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse 

1 hour ago, Mohsb said:

Hope has been increased by 1%. 

But thanks for the info!