Fall 2019 Applicants

phonotactless

On 2/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, Mohsb said:

Days ago I emailed the department at Stanford asking why I have not been invited for the interview  and today they replied "Not all of the students we admit are interviewed and our admissions decision is coming soon, in mid March!"

Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in the department who has been admitted without being interviewed, so I wouldn't keep my hopes up...Current grad student here.

I agree with @2017... I would stay positive, but that sounds like a way of preventing people from being upset and possibly causing issues. (Especially given what I've heard about Stanford's application process from the gossip mill.)

37 minutes ago, lnik said:

I agree with @2017... I would stay positive, but that sounds like a way of preventing people from being upset and possibly causing issues. (Especially given what I've heard about Stanford's application process from the gossip mill.)

What have you heard about the application process? Just curious!

On 2/28/2019 at 2:46 PM, phonotactless said:

I applied to six and was officially rejected by three so far, but with Penn and Stanford I’m really quite sure we’re just waiting for the courtesy of a formal rejection letter because they sent out their interview invitations literally a month ago... so for me, everything is hanging on Washington, and if not that, then the MA programs I applied to in Europe. if none of those work out either... guess I’m stuck in retail limbo for another year. 

Hi, I just found the forum. Just curious if those interviewed by Penn and Stanford have been noticed or not (especially if they have been accepted or waitlisted), or these unis would send out rejection and acceptance at the same time. 

9 hours ago, 2017 said:

What have you heard about the application process? Just curious!

A lot of various things, but nothing really negative— I know there's a leaning toward lab phonetics and phonology (and some socio?), and they pick candidates with very specific interests and experiences based on that. Probably for the better (not my field at all, but I understand!). I've also heard that even if you get in off the wait list, it's apparently gossiped about in the department. Then, like, that the open house is way more formal than others and that they rarely blatantly reject those invited... The attendees make up the accepted and waitlisted, so the visit is basically for the shortlist. I've probably heard other things and forgotten since I never considered applying!

I'm really low rn. I can't believe I couldn't get through any and I'm waitlisted for two. I thought I had plans if nothing worked out, but right now I can't deal with the situation and I can't envision the options as wdll. I feel like I should let it go, this PhD dream of mine. Two internships with good ass projects, At least in my country. Three presentations still now!!!! I keep falling short and I don't realise how. I feel like I've wasted all of my dad's money. I don't know what to do.

2 hours ago, HopefulKid said:

I'm really low rn. I can't believe I couldn't get through any and I'm waitlisted for two. I thought I had plans if nothing worked out, but right now I can't deal with the situation and I can't envision the options as wdll. I feel like I should let it go, this PhD dream of mine. Two internships with good ass projects, At least in my country. Three presentations still now!!!! I keep falling short and I don't realise how. I feel like I've wasted all of my dad's money. I don't know what to do.

To be fair (idk if it'll make you feel better), you applied to fairly well known/ranked programs, and the situation is tough for international students in the US right now... Trump's administration really has affected funding and visas. ?  That being said, stay hopeful! There's still another month for the places that have waitlisted you to offer you a place.

5 hours ago, HopefulKid said:

Same situation here. Waitlisted for two and still waiting for the results of another one. To what programs did you apply? Good luck! I'm trying to be positive about this, but there are so few spots available... 

25 minutes ago, tardias said:

Same situation here. Waitlisted for two and still waiting for the results of another one. To what programs did you apply? Good luck! I'm trying to be positive about this, but there are so few spots available... 

I applied to UMass, Rutgers, USc, Arizona, UCLA. 

12 minutes ago, phonotactless said:

shoutout to Penn for finally getting around to officially rejecting me after I’ve known this for like six weeks 

Same here. Now, unless I get admitted to Purdue off the waitlist, I think I will have to live a completely different life compared with the one that I have pursued so far. 

Um. Hi guys. I very surprisingly got placed on a wait list for UMD. I only ever had an informal Skype and was not invited to interview. I have already committed to another (psych) program and will therefore be releasing my spot! I hope one of you guys get it!

35 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

Um. Hi guys. I very surprisingly got placed on a wait list for UMD. I only ever had an informal Skype and was not invited to interview. I have already committed to another (psych) program and will therefore be releasing my spot! I hope one of you guys get it!

When did you hear from UMD? I have not been interviewed nor accepted,  wait-listed or rejected! 

8 minutes ago, Mohsb said:

When did you hear from UMD? I have not been interviewed nor accepted,  wait-listed or rejected! 

Just today! I emailed back and said I accepted another offer. POI initials were JL. 

1 hour ago, ResilientDreams said:

Just today! I emailed back and said I accepted another offer. POI initials were JL. 

Congratulations!

1 hour ago, ResilientDreams said:

Oh hey, thanks for writing here. If we havent heard back from the school today, is it over or is it about the POI again? Oh I am so down, still nothing for me. 

Just now, tardias said:

Didn't receive nothing from UMD as well, but since I wasn't interviewed I presume my application didn't make the cut. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I didn't go to interview weekend either but was given a wait list offer, so who knows. 

6 minutes ago, ResilientDreams said:

I didn't go to interview weekend either but was given a wait list offer, so who knows. 

I didn't even get an Skype interview with my POI, so that's why I'm not expecting anything from UMD. But I'm waitlisted in another two programs, so let's see. 

1 minute ago, tardias said:

I didn't even get an Skype interview with my POI, so that's why I'm not expecting anything from UMD. But I'm waitlisted in another two programs, so let's see. 

I hope it works out somehow! I had an interview with my POI, and I was told that it was ok not to be invited for another interview, that's why I was a little bit positive. Still waiting my POI to contact me soon. We will see, I wish you best of luck for the other schools. 

9 minutes ago, Denniskt said:

I hope it works out somehow! I had an interview with my POI, and I was told that it was ok not to be invited for another interview, that's why I was a little bit positive. Still waiting my POI to contact me soon. We will see, I wish you best of luck for the other schools. 

Thank you! Wish it works out for you as well. 

Edited by tardias