Fall 2019 Applicants

phonotactless

Hey, new member here. But have been a silent GC trawler for months. 

So my interests are mostly Syntax and its interfaces with typology and also psycholinguistics. I'm an international applicant. 

I'm applying to UCLA, USC, RUTGERS, UMASS, ARIZONA. 

Pretty nervous right now. 

15 hours ago, ResilientDreams said:

Yay! That's actually the only linguistics program I applied to since my interests span both psych and linguistics, but it's one of my top choices. 

Me too! I am into psycholing/sentence processing/syntax, and Maryland seems to be the one!

8 hours ago, TheIslandGuy said:

you can check the results section: https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=linguistics 

the results section is both the best and worst thing to ever happen to me tbh

also people have heard back from linguistics but not at any of my schools, and from my schools but not for linguistics, and the combination is really beginning to stress me out 

6 hours ago, phonotactless said:

the results section is both the best and worst thing to ever happen to me tbh

also people have heard back from linguistics but not at any of my schools, and from my schools but not for linguistics, and the combination is really beginning to stress me out 

Yes indeed, I probably spent too much time just refreshing that page and digging back to results from previous years

only that in my case I saw linguistics departments that I applied to sending out interviews to other people but not me, and that just stressed me out even more. Now I am limiting myself to one visit per day to the results section, so that I can actually be productive when I'm on my laptop

4 hours ago, Nasalitea said:

Frequent lurker, new poster. I have received an acceptance from Ohio State. I am in socio and socio-adjacent subfields

congratulations!! I’m also hoping to get into Ohio State, getting really nervous now...

3 hours ago, HopefulKid said:

Congratulations. Where else did u apply though?

I applied to mostly socio places (Stanford, NYU, Michigan, etc.) although my interests aren't strictly socio per se. I haven't heard back from anywhere else besides Ohio State yet.

16 minutes ago, Nasalitea said:

I applied to mostly socio places (Stanford, NYU, Michigan, etc.) although my interests aren't strictly socio per se. I haven't heard back from anywhere else besides Ohio State yet.

what do you mean when you say not strictly socio? I’m also kind of on the border since I’m mostly interested in sociophonetics and then phon/phon more broadly, I’m not so into the rest of sociolinguistics. 

14 hours ago, Nasalitea said:

Frequent lurker, new poster. I have received an acceptance from Ohio State. I am in socio and socio-adjacent subfields

Hi, I also received an acceptance from Ohio state. But my status on the website is still pending. Dose your status change to accepted?

On 1/17/2019 at 8:19 AM, phonotactless said:

congratulations!! I’m also hoping to get into Ohio State, getting really nervous now...

turns out the nervousness was justified, one rejection down, five schools to go...

Warning: if you feel like the results section is too much and you don't want any more of anything similar, this is not for you.

I found this on reddit: (someone did a comprehensive summary of the GC results section) It might be helpful if you would like to get a sense of when to expect what. (scroll a few posts down for linguistics) 

Hey guys, I have been reading this thread and I need to let you know that I am experiencing spasm now as I am in the process of waiting for the results.

I am into psycho/neurolinguistics. I applied to MIT, UMass Amherst, University of British Columbia and University of Toronto.

Good luck!

On 12/24/2018 at 2:26 PM, bachelorette said:

Why is that? What subfields are you looking at? We all have a little bit of imposter syndrome I’m sure ;)

My undergraduate degree was in linguistics, but my program was small and had no linguistics labs and very few research opportunities. I made the most of it by doing language-related work outside of academia too, but it was still a little frustrating. I've spent a lot of time working with Native American tribes (helping in dictionary construction/language revitalization) so I want to continue my education in indigenous language preservation/revitalization (as my big picture goal). 

On 1/19/2019 at 8:06 PM, reciprosody said:

Hi y'all. First time posting. Have any of you interviewed yet?

I did mine with Yale, Maryland, and Chicago

Have three more scheduled and haven't heard back from the rest.

Hi, guys! Wow, I feel like my interests are way different from y'all's. ? I'm interested in syntax and the syntax-semantics interface, mostly looking at event structure and the left periphery. My current research looks at American Sign Language, focusing on facial grammar and telicity.

I'm finishing up my BA in linguistics at Purdue right now! Love this school, although some of the professors are terrible. (To anyone applying to Purdue: Raskin is a pervert. Avoid him. Separately, Benedicto and Chanon are crazy, but relatively tame. Still worth avoiding tho.)

I applied to uMich, Harvard, uChicago, and Purdue (love my lab, so I wouldn't be heartbroken to stay). I've interviewed with Chicago and was just invited to the campus visit at Michigan. My POI at Harvard told me to keep an eye on my email inbox for next week too... It's all so exciting! 

Edited by lnik