Fall 2019 Applicants

phonotactless

1 hour ago, phonotactless said:

welp, another rejection, and I'm expecting the official Penn rejection any day now since interview invitations were sent over a week ago lol

Hello, for the first time, I'm writing on this thread.

I've been also rejected from Northwestern.  I feel so miserable..

AND I am waiting for the denial from UPenn too as I haven't been interviewed so far. T_T 

1 minute ago, sedulous said:

Hello, for the first time, I'm writing on this thread.

I've been also rejected from Northwestern.  I feel so miserable..

AND I am waiting for the denial from UPenn too as I haven't been interviewed so far. T_T 

oh no, sorry to hear that! have you applied anywhere else?

5 minutes ago, phonotactless said:

oh no, sorry to hear that! have you applied anywhere else?

sob sob 

Yes, I've applied to 10 graduate schools

and.. so far

I've got four official rejection letters. 

and  I know I will be rejected from three other graduate schools in the coming weeks. 

The only graduate schools that I am not sure of the decision are MIT, Harvard, and Purdue. 

So, I am beginning to realize that my chances of being admitted to any graduate school this year are being close to zero. 

Tough life..what do I do now..?

Edited by sedulous

1 minute ago, sedulous said:

sob sob 

Yes, I've applied to 10 graduate schools

and.. so far

I've got four official rejection letters. 

and  I know I will be rejected from three other graduate schools in the coming weeks. 

The only graduate schools that I am not sure of the decision are MIT, Harvard, and Purdue. 

So, I am beginning to realize that my chances of being admitted to any graduate school this year are being close to zero. 

Tough life..what do I do now..?

did you have any backup plans? are you applying straight from undergrad?

4 minutes ago, phonotactless said:

did you have any backup plans? are you applying straight from undergrad?

I did think about what I would want to do if I were to be denied from every graduate school. But not in a concrete way because I really wanted to study linguistics T.T 

I had a gap year after graduation for research experience. 

What about you? 

2 minutes ago, sedulous said:

I did think about what I would want to do if I were to be denied from every graduate school. But not in a concrete way because I really wanted to study linguistics T.T 

I had a gap year after graduation for research experience. 

What about you? 

I took a gap year as well, but mostly to take a break from school after 18 continuous years of education haha

I've been working retail and volunteering, and just generally enjoying a less stressful existence (except clearly that didn't work out because of application stress lmao)

I've applied to some MA programs in Finland and Sweden as a backup, and I guess if I don't get into Michigan after the interview weekend or into the MA programs I'll just keep working and try again next year, but I really hope that doesn't happen because I missed academia almost as soon as I left my graduation ceremony!

2 minutes ago, phonotactless said:

I took a gap year as well, but mostly to take a break from school after 18 continuous years of education haha

I've been working retail and volunteering, and just generally enjoying a less stressful existence (except clearly that didn't work out because of application stress lmao)

I've applied to some MA programs in Finland and Sweden as a backup, and I guess if I don't get into Michigan after the interview weekend or into the MA programs I'll just keep working and try again next year, but I really hope that doesn't happen because I missed academia almost as soon as I left my graduation ceremony!

Aww I really hope you are admitted to Michigan. I can feel how much you miss studying linguistics. I feel the same. Well life goes on . And this application process is still on its way. So let's wait a little more without compromising ourselves! :)

@sedulous, we should hear back from Harvard really soon (according to my POI there), but Purdue won't say anything for about another month. I know some of the professors on the decision committee here. ? What subfield of linguistics are you interested in?

6 hours ago, lnik said:

@sedulous, we should hear back from Harvard really soon (according to my POI there), but Purdue won't say anything for about another month. I know some of the professors on the decision committee here. ? What subfield of linguistics are you interested in?

Wow.. I am surprised that you hear from your POI. You must have high chances. I am interested in phonetics, phonology, and sociophonetics. Since I've been rejected from graduate schools in a row, I don't expect Harvard to accept me at all.. :( I feel like being a prisoner waiting for a death penalty T_T

1 hour ago, sedulous said:

Wow.. I am surprised that you hear from your POI. You must have high chances. I am interested in phonetics, phonology, and sociophonetics. Since I've been rejected from graduate schools in a row, I don't expect Harvard to accept me at all.. :( I feel like being a prisoner waiting for a death penalty T_T

looks like there's a lot of us phoneticy types this year!

19 minutes ago, sedulous said:

@lnik Btw, Did you also receive an email from Harvard to update the background of your foreign languages? It was sent to all the applicants.. right?

Yup! They sent it to everyone, including people applying to other departments. ?

4 hours ago, TheLeoLinguist said:

Still haven't heard from anyone ?

4 hours ago, phonotactless said:

where is it you’ve applied?

never mind, I've just gotten on my computer and seen your signature, it wasn't visible on mobile! I don't know about the other ones, but @lnik said Purdue won't reply for a while yet so don't get too worried yet!

25 minutes ago, sedulous said:

Goodbye Monday, you gave me nothing.

Welcome Tuesday, I hope you bring me an acceptance email. Youd better do that cuz anxiety has been smothering me. 

Same here. Anxiety is killing me. Where did you apply?

9 hours ago, tardias said:

Same here. Anxiety is killing me. Where did you apply?

I applied to ten schools but heard nothing from six of them. (I've been rejected by four schools so far..)

I found that someone had submitted a post on the result page that he/she got an email from Harvard. Oh no.. I feel an omen..

2 hours ago, howdoiexitvim said:

First round of Masters applications finally completed, but I can't expect replies soon.

1. Language and Cognition (ReMa) University of Groningen
  2. Linguistics (ReMA) Utrecht University
  3. Linguistics: General Programme  (MA) Radboud University
  4. EMCL+

Nice! Good luck. I almost applied for a masters in the Netherlands (University of Amsterdam), but the professor I would have been working with couldn't get funding for me.