calling all music people...anyone out there?

ozmusicbird

Ok, so now that the 15th has officially landed, I'd like to get an idea of where most of you decided to go to grad school. Sounded like there were lots of exciting opportunities available to a lot of you, and I'm just curious where people are headed.

I for one am probably going nowhere (see previous posts :)), but I may still be surprised...

I'm off to Penn State for my MA (musicology). 20hr TA, which'll cover my tuition, 80% of medical & 'atleast' $12,600 stipend:) Only downside is having to go through this process again for my PhD...but after this year, atleast i know what apps hell to expect!

Loxias44 - hope you get a nice surprise soon! & hope everyone else has some good news to share?

PhD in Musicology at Brandeis University. The scholarship covers tuition, health insurance and there is a good stipend to live off. I didn't believe it would ever turn out this well - I was waitlisted for over a month before getting the news. And I STILL haven't heard back from one of my schools - but I don't really mind anymore because I finally know what I'm doing.

good luck everyone - see you at the concerts & conference/s !!!

• 1 year later...

Any other music people out there in the universe? I'm applying to mostly ethno programs, but a few Musicology PhDs also: I'm an undergrad, so my resume is a little sparse compared to others....so I'm terribly nervous and intimidated by the process.

But GREs are out of the way and I'm brushing up on my writing samples. I'm applying to 9 schools. Anyone want to commiserate?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there - I'll commiserate with ya. I'm a composer - applying for PhDs for the 3rd time. 1st time I got into 2 PhD programs but decided to get a 2nd master's instead, next time I didn't get into any schools at all! I'm applying to 12 schools this year, so I better get somethin'.

GRE is out of the way - not great, but out of the way. I think my portfolio and writing samples are in good shape, just working on The Statement.

• 8 months later...

I see there's a lot of musicologists here...any theory people by any chance? I'm in an MA program currently and applying for PhD programs in the fall...

(Sorry the post is short and maybe a bit off topic, I'm new-ish)

I hope to pursue music theory combined with / assisted by computer technology ... but it's a couple of years away at least, as I first have to pay for my childrens' undergraduate educations :) Am an ex-performer: MM U-Maryland 1979, free-lance trombonist; and was always interested in theory, and became a decent arranger/orchestrator too. But I'm not creative enough to compose, and not library-oriented enough to become a musicologist :). Also, I've started, but may not finish, an MA in German language & lit in the meantime.

But my real hope-dream is to use my 25+ years of computer programming and still passionate love of music to write in-depth Schenkerian-analytical software, hopefully funded by some insanely progressive institution of higher learning ... it's probably just a total pipedream ... but, to answer your question, yes, there is a nascent would-be theorist out here anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm a future-musicologist from Hungary. Just about to finish my thesis as for Alma Mahler's composition.(mostly her songs I mean) Is there anybody who could send me important articles in this subject?

I would be very very thankful.

Thanks

Eszter

• 7 months later...

Got in for PhD Musicology at The University of Georgia, Athens. I am soo excited! This will be the largest school I've ever attended. I applied to like 6 schools and got accepted to two. My research will focus on Arvo Part, John Tavener, and Henryk Gorecki.

Got in for PhD Musicology at The University of Georgia, Athens. I am soo excited! This will be the largest school I've ever attended. I applied to like 6 schools and got accepted to two. My research will focus on Arvo Part, John Tavener, and Henryk Gorecki.

Congrats, Shadowfax. I've always loved the "holy minimalists." Pärt is a living legend and I can't think of words to describe how singing his music makes me feel. I've considered researching him myself but can't figure out an interesting way to do so from an ethnographic perspective. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Just joined gradcafe today, and found this thread! I'm in musicology, too. =) Undergrad in piano performance. I'm halfway done my master's and am starting to worry about PhD applications, GREs, and such things. Phew!

Glad to find a few comrades-in-arms on here, since I think I was the only musicologist on PhDComics' phorum!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! Just joined gradcafe today, and found this thread! I'm in musicology, too. =) Undergrad in piano performance. I'm halfway done my master's and am starting to worry about PhD applications, GREs, and such things. Phew!

Glad to find a few comrades-in-arms on here, since I think I was the only musicologist on PhDComics' phorum!

wow so am I:)

nice to meet you!

live TV

• 1 year later...

Why you are feeling alone. Here are a few good artist songs that might help you to change the mood:

3 Doors Down-Rock/Alternative

Black Eyed Peas-Hip-Hop

Blake Shelton-Country

Bowling for Soup-Punk Rock

Brad Paisley-Country

Cascada-Trance/Dance

Chingy-Rap

Destiny's Child-Pop/R&B

Drowning Pool-Rock

Godsmack-Rock

Green Day-Punk Rock

Kelly Clarkson-Pop