Fall 2019 Social Psychology Applicant Thread

petitebiscuit

Since other areas seem to have their own threads, I thought it would be nice to branch out into a Social Psychology applicant thread! Where is everyone applying? Have you submitted? Any questions, thoughts, opinions? Let's freak out together. It's totally fine...right?

Yess! You're fine to freak out. I'm 'applying' to a big school to transfer - my advisor is already there and is like don't worry - but still I am because it is sort of a first impression anyway :')

I applied last year and got into a top school and made it if the waitlist close to April 15th :') So the stress was/is real :)

Hi! 

I applied to social psych programs at Tufts, Berkeley, Stanford, NYU, Fordham, (only developmental program I applied to) Northwestern and Columbia. I am so nervous but I have submitted all of my applications. I want to hear already!!

31 minutes ago, Bd2018 said:

Hi! 

I applied to social psych programs at Tufts, Berkeley, Stanford, NYU, Fordham, (only developmental program I applied to) Northwestern and Columbia. I am so nervous but I have submitted all of my applications. I want to hear already!!

I'm in the same boat! Well, I've submitted all but three of my applications. My S/O started to cry when he looked at the banking statement....so I had to push pause until next week LOL. I'm also applying to Northwestern (it's definitely my reach school)!

9 hours ago, loffire said:

affective neuroscience. How's your application coming along? Sop all sorted?

will sbmit this weekend - am still revising my SOP because I started some concrete projects here now, so I want to mention those :) And things I learned or started learning (R, multilevel analysis)

16 hours ago, Psygeek said:

What are everyone's research interests?

I'm interested in stigma (especially towards disability/chronic illness), socioeconomic status and health disparities, attitude formation, stereotypes/prejudice, applied social.

8 hours ago, Psygeek said:

will sbmit this weekend - am still revising my SOP because I started some concrete projects here now, so I want to mention those :) And things I learned or started learning (R, multilevel analysis)

Same! waiting on one of my professors to reply with comments for my writing sample before I submit them. Hopefully he replies by end of end of friday so I can submit things by sunday. Multilevel analysis sounds like a solid thing to beef your CV hahaha. 

Looking forward to hearing from more social psych people!

I'm interested in romantic relationships and I'm applying to like 13 different schools: 

University of California Los Angeles
University of California Berkeley

Carnegie Mellon University
UC Irvine
CUNY Graduate Center & Brooklyn College

University of California Santa Barbara
University of Rochester
University of Pittsburgh

Florida State University 

University of Maryland
University of California San Diego
University of California Davis
Chinese University of Hong Kong

Do you guys shy away from assistant professors? Since, you know, they are so new and not so established in their career?

7 hours ago, HaveNotDecidedDisplayName said:

Do you guys shy away from assistant professors? Since, you know, they are so new and not so established in their career?

Not necessarily. Sometimes the Assistant Professors will be some of the only ones accepting students due to funding and needing to build their labs. Also, from speaking to colleagues in the field their advice was that while Assistant Professors might be new, they may be open to more suggestion in the projects you can take on. Not sure if that's the real case or not, but I applied to work with like 5 assistant professors out of the 12 schools I am applying to.

On 11/14/2018 at 6:47 PM, Bd2018 said:

Hi! 

Hey there, did Northwestern have you mail in all of your previously published research projects? The information online was convoluted. When I spoke to psych department secretary she said that did not sound correct at all, but the website still has it there?

On 11/16/2018 at 1:28 PM, psychtobeme said:

Hey there, did Northwestern have you mail in all of your previously published research projects? The information online was convoluted. When I spoke to psych department secretary she said that did not sound correct at all, but the website still has it there?

@psychtobeme I applied and it didn't look like it was required.. I see on the PhD requirements page now where it looks like they might be asking for it, but it wasn't on the Application Process page so I didn't send anything in.

1 hour ago, socpsy said:

@psychtobeme I applied and it didn't look like it was required.. I see on the PhD requirements page now where it looks like they might be asking for it, but it wasn't on the Application Process page so I didn't send anything in.

Yeah me either. I just submitted a list of publications with the app. Its so weird they wanted MLA format.

20 hours ago, socpsy said:

Who did you indicate as POI if you don't mind me asking! Also, good luck!

3 minutes ago, psychtobeme said:

Who did you indicate as POI if you don't mind me asking! Also, good luck!

There were several who had similar research interests as I (stigma within underrepresented groups). I put down Bodenhausen, Destin, Gardner, and Perry.

23 hours ago, Psygeek said:

I hate my SOP.. I can't believe they let me in with this last year lol

I put SO MUCH time into so many different versions of it and then now that it's down to the wire I'm just like meh, f** it, good enough.