Jump to content
petitebiscuit

Fall 2019 Social Psychology Applicant Thread

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, loffire said:

I applied to denver and penn state too!

On my end U toronto, texas and northeastern have begun review.

Who was your POI at denver!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

For Social I applied Northwestern, University of Utah, University of Washington, University of Oregon, and University of Denver

For I/O I applied to Colorado State, Penn State, and Portland State (Will also apply Univ of Oklahoma in January)

 

10 minutes ago, loffire said:

I applied to denver and penn state too!

On my end U toronto, texas and northeastern have begun review.

Maybe we'll all get to meet at Penn State :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

Who was your POI at denver!?

McRae, tenBrinke and Chiew

39 minutes ago, socpsy said:

 

Maybe we'll all get to meet at Penn State :D

Sounds fun! Hahahah who were your POIs there? Mine is Gasper and Adams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, loffire said:

Sounds fun! Hahahah who were your POIs there? Mine is Gasper and Adams

Matsick, Vescio, and Cook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 4:10 PM, petitebiscuit said:

For Social I applied Northwestern, University of Utah, University of Washington, University of Oregon, and University of Denver

For I/O I applied to Colorado State, Penn State, and Portland State (Will also apply Univ of Oklahoma in January)

Hey I also applied to University of Oregon. Who are your POIs? Mine are Saucier and Hodges. What are your research interests?

Edited by HAC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey so has anyone here in the social department heard anything back yet about their apps? The clinical and developmental people in the other forums are starting to make me so nervous ?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, HAC said:

Hey so has anyone here in the social department heard anything back yet about their apps? The clinical and developmental people in the other forums are starting to make me so nervous ?.

Nope! Not even a notification that its under review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Social tends to be the last. Seems to be clinical, developmental, cognitive then social hahaha I might be wrong though.

On a related note, toronto, texas, northeastern and DU have begun the review process. Got an email from DU and NEU not the other 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, loffire said:

Social tends to be the last. Seems to be clinical, developmental, cognitive then social hahaha I might be wrong though.

On a related note, toronto, texas, northeastern and DU have begun the review process. Got an email from DU and NEU not the other 2

Denver emailed you they started?! I haven’t got anything!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an email from a POI that I reached out to at a post-bacc program (as a backup.. I haven't applied yet) that said, "you are building a strong CV, which is wonderful, but I’m not sure the extent to which you perceive yourself to be a strong fit with our faculty".

Ugh. Like I reached out BECAUSE I was interested..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, loffire said:

Social tends to be the last. Seems to be clinical, developmental, cognitive then social hahaha I might be wrong though.

On a related note, toronto, texas, northeastern and DU have begun the review process. Got an email from DU and NEU not the other 2

At this point I think we're holding ourselves together a little better than the other areas.. don't tell them I said that. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, socpsy said:

At this point I think we're holding ourselves together a little better than the other areas.. don't tell them I said that. :P

Clinical person snooping here, and, yes, you all are definitely holding it together a lot better ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, socpsy said:

At this point I think we're holding ourselves together a little better than the other areas.. don't tell them I said that. :P

Wish I applied to social, less anxiety and neuroticism on your threads compared to others haha;). There's a reason people say clinical psychologists have to be somewhat crazy to do what they do.

Edited by higaisha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

Clinical person snooping here, and, yes, you all are definitely holding it together a lot better ?

 

6 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Wish I applied to social, less anxiety and neuroticism on your threads compared to others haha;). There's a reason people say clinical psychologists have to be somewhat crazy to do what they do.

Hahah I found the best way to summon the clinical folk. The anxiety and neuroticism is definitely real with me but I'm just good at ignoring it.

edit: and booking plenty of therapy sessions over the next couple of months!

Edited by socpsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PsychWannabee said:

Clinical person snooping here, and, yes, you all are definitely holding it together a lot better ?

 

6 minutes ago, higaisha said:

Wish I applied to social, less anxiety and neuroticism on your threads compared to others haha;). There's a reason people say clinical psychologists have to be somewhat crazy to do what they do.

lol don't worry guys I'll be a lot more neurotic come January/February! Only calm at this point because applications haven't even gone under review yet ? Can't be rejected if they haven't looked yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, socpsy said:

 

Hahah I found the best way to summon the clinical folk. The anxiety and neuroticism is definitely real with me but I'm just good at ignoring it.

edit: and booking plenty of therapy sessions over the next couple of months!

Been creeping this thread for a bit, y'all are smart! Therapy ahh...take the clinical thread with you for christ's sake!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, socpsy said:

Got an email from a POI that I reached out to at a post-bacc program (as a backup.. I haven't applied yet) that said, "you are building a strong CV, which is wonderful, but I’m not sure the extent to which you perceive yourself to be a strong fit with our faculty".

Ugh. Like I reached out BECAUSE I was interested..

This is such an odd reply that I wouldn’t even know how to interpret it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, socpsy said:

 

Hahah I found the best way to summon the clinical folk. The anxiety and neuroticism is definitely real with me but I'm just good at ignoring it.

edit: and booking plenty of therapy sessions over the next couple of months

2 hours ago, PsychWannabee said:

Clinical person snooping here, and, yes, you all are definitely holding it together a lot better ?

Oh man don’t be too sure! I’ve been stress baking and wine drinking like a mad woman over here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, petitebiscuit said:

Oh man don’t be too sure! I’ve been stress baking and wine drinking like a mad woman over here.

*takes a sip of my glass of wine*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi! I'm interested in diversity-related research  (intergroup relations, social cognition, bias, stereotypes, prejudice).

Applied to 9 schools (Stanford, UMich, Yale, Northwestern, UW, Purdue, PennState, NYU, Indiana-Bloomington) and planning to apply to one more (UVa) 

If anyone was wondering, Northwestern has started their preliminary interviews for social psych it seems! I was invited Monday and did the Skype call today. Apparently they'll meet in the next week or two to discuss who they'll invite to on-campus interviews. 

I found this thread while trying to figure out when other schools I've applied to start their interviews so if anyone's got a clue... :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, reaching44 said:

Hi! I'm interested in diversity-related research  (intergroup relations, social cognition, bias, stereotypes, prejudice).

Applied to 9 schools (Stanford, UMich, Yale, Northwestern, UW, Purdue, PennState, NYU, Indiana-Bloomington) and planning to apply to one more (UVa) 

If anyone was wondering, Northwestern has started their preliminary interviews for social psych it seems! I was invited Monday and did the Skype call today. Apparently they'll meet in the next week or two to discuss who they'll invite to on-campus interviews. 

I found this thread while trying to figure out when other schools I've applied to start their interviews so if anyone's got a clue... :D 

Congrats! Do you mind listing your POI you interviewed with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, petitebiscuit said:

Congrats! Do you mind listing your POI you interviewed with?

OH yeah Sylvia Perry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, reaching44 said:

Hi! I'm interested in diversity-related research  (intergroup relations, social cognition, bias, stereotypes, prejudice).

Applied to 9 schools (Stanford, UMich, Yale, Northwestern, UW, Purdue, PennState, NYU, Indiana-Bloomington) and planning to apply to one more (UVa) 

If anyone was wondering, Northwestern has started their preliminary interviews for social psych it seems! I was invited Monday and did the Skype call today. Apparently they'll meet in the next week or two to discuss who they'll invite to on-campus interviews. 

I found this thread while trying to figure out when other schools I've applied to start their interviews so if anyone's got a clue... :D 

Congrats on the Skype interview! I also applied to work with Perry. You and I have very similar interests and many similar schools as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, socpsy said:

Congrats on the Skype interview! I also applied to work with Perry. You and I have very similar interests and many similar schools as well!

Thanks! Oh yeah looks like we do. I'll keep an eye out for your updates :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.