Fall 2019 Social Psychology Applicant Thread

petitebiscuit

16 hours ago, HIP613 said:

Yep, a poster on Friday

4 hours ago, socpsy said:

Same!

I'm also presenting on Friday!!

1 hour ago, socpsy said:

Could the person who posted their interview for the UNC Social Psych program send me their POI? :) 

I would like to know as well!

---

Also, I was just curious since I'm not really feeling as hopeful with this application cycle, has anyone given any thoughts to backup plans? I was thinking a paid postbac research assistant/lab manager position, but not sure how I would be able to afford living off its salary - I also know they're competitive and a lot of them have requirements to know programming languages that I don't know (Python, Matlab). I really only know SAS, STATA and a little bit of R, so not sure I would qualify for a lot of the positions. There's also a lot of unpaid labs I could join including the ones I'm in now, but I'm not sure how I'd afford living off unpaid labs and maybe a minimum wage side job to have some money coming in. 

Edited by socneuro

17 minutes ago, socneuro said:

Also, I was just curious since I'm not really feeling as hopeful with this application cycle, has anyone given any thoughts to backup plans? I was thinking a paid postbac research assistant/lab manager position, but not sure how I would be able to afford living off its salary - I also know they're competitive and a lot of them have requirements to know programming languages that I don't know (Python, Matlab). I really only know SAS, STATA and a little bit of R, so not sure I would qualify for a lot of the positions. There's also a lot of unpaid labs I could join including the ones I'm in now, but I'm not sure how I'd afford living off unpaid labs and maybe a minimum wage side job to have some money coming in. 

I'm also applying to similar positions as a backup, and I'm in the same boat as you--a lot of them seem to require or strongly recommend having more advanced skills and I have some data analysis experience but nowhere near where they want. I'm just continuing to look around and apply as they come up, regardless of the salary (unless it's unpaid). Cost of living in some places is crazy cheap and I figure I might get lucky.

In the meantime I'm trying to brush up on my SPSS and R skills so I can at least say I know it well.

12 minutes ago, socpsy said:

In the meantime I'm trying to brush up on my SPSS and R skills so I can at least say I know it well.

I’ve been brushing up on SAS, and tried learning python but wow is python confusing. I’ve also started learning MATLAB and the language reminds me of SAS a bit so I feel like it’ll be an easier transition. The only thing is, I feel like there’s a big difference between learning syntax and actually learning it (through working on projects and such) and since no one in my current lab uses MATLAB I don’t think I’ll really be able to learn it :/

24 minutes ago, socneuro said:

I’ve been brushing up on SAS, and tried learning python but wow is python confusing. I’ve also started learning MATLAB and the language reminds me of SAS a bit so I feel like it’ll be an easier transition. The only thing is, I feel like there’s a big difference between learning syntax and actually learning it (through working on projects and such) and since no one in my current lab uses MATLAB I don’t think I’ll really be able to learn it ?

I've been coding in MatLab for 3-4 years now and I can vouch for that, it is super different, but working on the projects is significantly easier if you aren't making stupid little syntax mistakes so you would be way better off in the future even just learning the basics.

26 minutes ago, socneuro said:

I’ve been brushing up on SAS, and tried learning python but wow is python confusing. I’ve also started learning MATLAB and the language reminds me of SAS a bit so I feel like it’ll be an easier transition. The only thing is, I feel like there’s a big difference between learning syntax and actually learning it (through working on projects and such) and since no one in my current lab uses MATLAB I don’t think I’ll really be able to learn it :/

I should get some of my family members to try teaching me python and MATLAB.. helps to be related to engineers and computer nerds haha

5 minutes ago, beepbopboopityboop said:

For those looking for a post-bac full-time paid RA position, I'd highly recommend subscribing to the SANS email list. I often see relevant job postings there.

thanks for the tip! what is SANS though?

4 minutes ago, reaching44 said:

thanks for the tip! what is SANS though?

Sorry, that was unclear. It stands for Social Affective Neuroscience Society. Most of the job postings are from psychology or neuroscience labs that could offer a lot of experience with neuroimaging.

You can email the administrative coordinator (Courtney Rogers) and ask to be put on the email list! 

Edited by beepbopboopityboop

1 minute ago, beepbopboopityboop said:

Sorry, that was unclear. It stands for Social Affective Neuroscience Society. Most of the job postings are from psychology or neuroscience labs that could offer a lot of experience with neuroimaging.

You can email the administrative coordinator (Courtney Rogers) and ask to be put on the email list! 

Ohh I see. Thanks! 

I am interested in infersectionality and how our multiple identites influence our perception of the world.

I applied to NYU, Columbia, Rutgers, The Graduate Center (CUNY), Stony Brook, Fordham U (applied developmental).

I have an interview for Fordham on 1/25.

I also received an email from Stony Brook saying I’m in their “top selection of students and only students from this group are considered for admissions” but not an actual interview invitation.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:47 PM, HaveNotDecidedDisplayName said:

I'm interested in romantic relationships and I'm applying to like 13 different schools: 

University of California Los Angeles
University of California Berkeley

Carnegie Mellon University
UC Irvine
CUNY Graduate Center & Brooklyn College

University of California Santa Barbara
University of Rochester
University of Pittsburgh
Florida State University 
University of Maryland
University of California San Diego
University of California Davis
Chinese University of Hong Kong

Do you guys shy away from assistant professors? Since, you know, they are so new and not so established in their career?

Okay, so here's a little update on how things are going since my last post.

1. I heard back from my first choice faculty from FSU last week and we did a Skype interview on Monday. It was around 1 hour, and we talked a lot of about theoretical stuff. He said he would let me know either way (if I will be invited to campus for a formal interview on Feb 9th) by the end of the week, which is now. I still have not heard from him.
  2. I heard back from my first choice faculty from UCSB this week and we did a Skype interview on Thursday. It lasted for 20 mins and half of it was me trying to make this interview longer by asking about funding. I only gave a very general description of my research interests, and she didn't talk about hers at all. She said she would still need to talk to a couple more people on Friday and Saturday, and she will be able to let me know about the on-site interview on Feb 1 by the end of the weekend. It's Saturday night and I have not heard back.
  3. I heard from my third choice faculty from UCSB and we are going to do a Skype interview on the 27th. He said it won't last longer than 15-20 mins so I am picturing it to go like the interview I had with the other UCSB professor. I was kind of surprised because two different professors I applied to work with at the same university reached out to me separately. Their labs actually have weekly meetings together and I was told that the department does a lot of co-mentoring of grad students, so it's not like "You are my student and you get to work with me and me only." But it was still a little strange. 

3 hours ago, Fabretti said:

Has anyone applied to a canadian university? I am a little nervous because I didn't hear back from McGill and U of T so far... ?

I applied to U of T and haven’t heard anything either 

8 hours ago, Fabretti said:

Has anyone applied to a canadian university? I am a little nervous because I didn't hear back from McGill and U of T so far... ?

I heard back from U of T. Kinda. Was a weird email about bidding for residences and them emphasizing that this was not an offer of admission. Got me all giddy for a bit there

4 hours ago, loffire said:

I heard back from U of T. Kinda. Was a weird email about bidding for residences and them emphasizing that this was not an offer of admission. Got me all giddy for a bit there

Same thing here 

9 minutes ago, MeteorXIII said:

Anyone hear back from NYU Social? Looks like C&P/Neuro have sent out their invites, not sure about the social program though...

I received an email from my POI on the 16th inviting me to their Open House in late Jan..

15 hours ago, loffire said:

I also received this one ?

On 12/18/2018 at 3:54 PM, AceRad said:

I had my first Skype interview today at UGA. I am so excited, and hope I hear back with good news. But also I hope I get more interviews.... 

Do you mind sharing your POI? I also applied at UGA. 

Hey is the person who posted they were rejected from Umass Amherst’s Peace and Violence program on this page? If so, would you mind sharing your POI? Did you email them or did they just message you on their own?

1 hour ago, Lucyshoneypie said:

Good luck to everyone!

Is the person who got an interview from Princeton here? If so, would you mind sharing the POI, and did you get a personal e-mail or a departmental one?

Thanks

Same