Fall 2019 Social Psychology Applicant Thread

petitebiscuit

2 hours ago, beepbopboopityboop said:

I messaged you guys my POI (please keep this information in confidence). Interview weekend appears to be the weekend of February 22nd. Thanks for the congrats, and best of luck to you guys as well!

Would you mind also msg me your POI? Thank you!

On 1/4/2019 at 2:31 PM, veileddreamer said:

I just got an email asking for clarification about something and it mentioned that they had just made a job offer to someone and implied they were taking that person into consideration. The email also explicitly said they were just starting to review apps. So Psygeek seems correct!

I heard from my POI (developmental) on Wednesday who is changing their lab’s focus and offered to share my app with the other POIs (social) I listed and anyone else who might be interested. So they are definitely reviewing right now. I assumed that everyone I listed as POIs saw my ap, but it appears that’s not always the case, so I’m grateful for the second chance at UVA!

11 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

I heard from my POI (developmental) on Wednesday who is changing their lab’s focus and offered to share my app with the other POIs (social) I listed and anyone else who might be interested. So they are definitely reviewing right now. I assumed that everyone I listed as POIs saw my ap, but it appears that’s not always the case, so I’m grateful for the second chance at UVA!

interview day is the last monday of january (28; so 27 - 29 basically) so I'd expect them to come through asap.

16 hours ago, beepbopboopityboop said:

Stanford psychology POI emailed me an invite to interview weekend!

That's amazing! Congratulations! Do you happen to have a sense of whether they sent out all the psychology invites at once or whether there might be some coming? 

Did anyone hear back from WashU (WUSTL) for an interview? I've heard that the POI's individually reached out to some, but was the departmental mail sent? I'm specifically interested in the cognitive area, but any info would help. Thanks!

On 1/11/2019 at 10:29 AM, canstudent13 said:

That's amazing! Congratulations! Do you happen to have a sense of whether they sent out all the psychology invites at once or whether there might be some coming? 

I emailed Stanford and unfortunately they have sent out all invites.. I didn't tell them my name or the area I applied to, so I guess the whole department is done.

On 1/11/2019 at 2:28 PM, a1chemists said:

Just emailed Stanford psychology admission and they said all of the interview invites have been sent out:

"At this point, the faculty have extended invitations for candidates who were selected to participate in our interview weekend. You have not progressed to the interview stage at this time.

I imagine that this will be disappointing news. Please note that final admissions decisions have not been made, and occasionally the faculty seek to interview additional candidates through separate mechanisms. This is the reason that we do not send out formal admissions decisions to candidates who are not invited to participate in the first round of interviews. That said, historically speaking, such additional interviews are rare."

2 hours ago, HAC said:

Update in case anyone is wondering:

Princeton and University of Oregon have extended all of their interview invites. 

University of Boulder CO says invites should be sent out in the coming week.

For Boulder, do you mean sometime this week, or next week?

3 minutes ago, HAC said:

The email said the coming week

Yeah... I don’t know which week is the coming week. The one we’re already in, but it’s only Monday, so there’s more week left? Or next week, the actual week that is coming. ??‍♀️

4 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

Yeah... I don’t know which week is the coming week. The one we’re already in, but it’s only Monday, so there’s more week left? Or next week, the actual week that is coming. ??‍♀️

Yeah I’m not 100% sure either. I guess just very soon... their reply wasn’t super specific.

Hi all, has anyone heard of a committee rescinding an (unofficial) interview offer due to GRE scores? I had a phone interview with one of my PIs about a week ago where he told me he was excited to meet me and to look out for an official invite to the interview weekend, but then he emailed today to say that one of my GRE scores was lower than the school typically likes and that the faculty were debating whether to let me interview. I'm freaking out and feel like they should have caught this in the initial sorting round before making contact with me and getting me excited about the interview (I had even started to make travel plans). Is this something anyone else has experienced?

2 hours ago, goughash said:

Anyone hear from:

1. The University of Kansas
  2. Utah
  3. Penn State
  4. The University of Arkansas
  5. Washington
  6. Wisconsin
  7. SLU

Thank You all and good luck ?

I'm pretty sure that Utah's social psych invitations have already been sent out. I had a phone interview pretty early in December and last week the PI let me know that I wasn't invited to the interview weekend. The interview weekend is the first weekend of February if I remember correctly so I'm assuming they've already sent out invites.