Fall 2019 Social Psychology Applicant Thread

petitebiscuit

12 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

That’s good news. After I applied, my main POI responded to my initial email to say they were moving on from my research interest, so I figured I was out.

who were you interested working with?

1 hour ago, Psygeek said:

who were you interested working with?

Oh whoops, I just realized this is the social thread. I applied to developmental, but I had a social prof on my list of POIs. 

My research interests are very interdisciplinary, so I've been applying to both social and cognitive programs. The Social Psychology PhD at University of Delaware really appealed to me, and I'm so anxious because I saw on the results section here that a few people have already received interview requests... I did NOT have prior contact with POIs, though, and am worried that that'll screw me over! It sucks, because on paper, I look pretty competitive: GRE: 163V, 159Q, 5.5 AW. Overall GPA was 3.77, and psych GPA was higher than 3.9. I also have more than a year of research experience, two conferences, joined half a dozen honor societies, and was co-founder of a literary publication at my alma mater. Applied to 10+ schools so far and haven't heard back from any :(

Someone give me emotional support ??

I called UNC today and they said that some but not all PIs have submitted their list of invites -- so if you don't hear back within a week, you can be fairly confident you will not be getting an invite.

But has anyone actually heard back from UNC? The wait is killing me. I know it's only been two weeks, but still.

1 hour ago, veileddreamer said:

I called UNC today and they said that some but not all PIs have submitted their list of invites -- so if you don't hear back within a week, you can be fairly confident you will not be getting an invite.

But has anyone actually heard back from UNC? The wait is killing me. I know it's only been two weeks, but still.

Still waiting! I ❤️ you for calling though.

8 minutes ago, beepbopboopityboop said:

UCLA's social area invites around 10, I believe

I guess that means UCLA is done then :(. The results page says they sent out 13 interview invites today for the social area.

18 minutes ago, beepbopboopityboop said:

UCLA's social area invites around 10, I believe

It really depends on the year - how many profs have the funding to take new students, what the applicant pool looks like, etc. Typically we do take ~50% of the interviewees, but that cohort size can vary a lot. Last year we interviewed 14 and accepted 9, but my year they interviewed 19 or 20. 13 sounds reasonable for this year though since last year's cohort was pretty large! 

16 minutes ago, socneuro said:

I guess that means UCLA is done then :(. The results page says they sent out 13 interview invites today for the social area.

I'm not familiar with how to use gradcafe (just discovered it today), where do the items on the "Results" page come from? I'm wondering whether that 13 figure is credible. Thanks!

22 minutes ago, beepbopboopityboop said:

I'm not familiar with how to use gradcafe (just discovered it today), where do the items on the "Results" page come from? I'm wondering whether that 13 figure is credible. Thanks!

At the top of the page in the blue tab, click on "results." It shows people's acceptances, rejections, and interview invites for the past 25 entries. You can click on the blue links that say "past one day, two days, seven days or month" to see more entries. If you scroll down, there's two posts from UCLA (only one in social psych dept) and in the notes section it says 13. I'm thinking they might be in one of the labs there to have the info. 

45 minutes ago, beepbopboopityboop said:

I posted that... It's just that I got the interview invitation email and that email was sent to 13 people (I'm assuming they are all interviewees). I'm already in one of the social neuroscience labs as an RA and know a few of these email receivers who are/were also RAs in the social neuroscience labs here.

Edited by a1chemists

49 minutes ago, smbtuckma said:

It really depends on the year - how many profs have the funding to take new students, what the applicant pool looks like, etc. Typically we do take ~50% of the interviewees, but that cohort size can vary a lot. Last year we interviewed 14 and accepted 9, but my year they interviewed 19 or 20. 13 sounds reasonable for this year though since last year's cohort was pretty large! 

Do you know if this is true for developmental too? I got an invite and I’ve been wondering how many others to expect.

5 minutes ago, a1chemists said:

I posted that... It's just that I got the interview invitation email and that email was sent to 13 people (I'm assuming they are all interviewees). I'm already in one of the social neuroscience lab as an RA and know a few of these email receivers who are/were also RAs in the social neuroscience labs here.

Oh wow I didn't even realize that it wasn't BCC'd. Thanks for the info!

29 minutes ago, socneuro said:

At the top of the page in the blue tab, click on "results." It shows people's acceptances, rejections, and interview invites for the past 25 entries. You can click on the blue links that say "past one day, two days, seven days or month" to see more entries. If you scroll down, there's two posts from UCLA (only one in social psych dept) and in the notes section it says 13. I'm thinking they might be in one of the labs there to have the info. 

You can also search psychology and it will show you all of the results for psychology applicants ever posted here in descending order from most recent to least.

Edited by Psyhopeful
Clarity and my own foolishness

6 minutes ago, beepbopboopityboop said:

Oh wow I didn't even realize that it wasn't BCC'd. Thanks for the info!

No problem! I thought it was weird too that they didn't BCC us.

It looks like so many RAs in UCLA social neuro labs just happen to be applying for grad schools in the same year... Maybe they have prioritized us just because we are already here. (I'm feeling sorry for everyone else...)

Edited by a1chemists