Fall 2019 Social Psychology Applicant Thread

petitebiscuit

If anyone applied to Denver’s Affect/Social/Cog program and is waiting for a response:

I had a Skype interview on Friday. Was told not all professors do Skype interviews, so don’t worry if you haven’t heard anything. Also, was told faculty will be meeting on January 7th to decide on who to invite for official interview weekend, and that invites will be sent out following that meeting (I assume throughout the day/week). 

Hope this helps anyone who is waiting!

On 12/28/2018 at 10:30 AM, gppsych said:

has anyone heard anything (especially about formal interviews) from Berkeley or UCSD?

Hi, I applied to both but have heard back from any of them. I did saw people posting their interview invitation from UCB on the "Result" session. So... I do not know if UCB has sent out invitations completely.. 

Has anyone heard from UVA? I saw someone got an invite  to developmental psychology awhile ago in the results page, but nothing else. I applied to a mix of developmental and social POIs. It looks like their interview weekend is the last week in January, so I would think they’d have already sent invites out.

Edited by Psyhopeful

Just now, Psyhopeful said:

Has anyone heard from UVA? I saw someone got admitted to developmental psychology awhile ago in the results page, but nothing else. I applied to a mix of developmental and social POIs. It looks like their interview weekend is the last week in January, so I would think they’d have already sent invites out.

I haven't heard anything. Where did you see the dates for their interview weekend and is it departmental or area specific?

7 minutes ago, psycinfo said:

I haven't heard anything. Where did you see the dates for their interview weekend and is it departmental or area specific?

I saw the dates in the results section. Someone got invited and they said the dates were January 27-29. And I misremembered. It was another school where someone got accepted already. This was just the invite. That person was a developmental psych applicant. I’m not sure if the dates are only for that department or not. 

2 hours ago, HAC said:

Hey is the poster who received an interview from WUSTL on this forum. If so, would you mind sharing your POI?

Yeah, my POI's initials are CW.

My POI said formal invitations will be sent later on this week! Their interview weekend is January 31st - February 2nd.

11 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

I saw the dates in the results section. Someone got invited and they said the dates were January 27-29. And I misremembered. It was another school where someone got accepted already. This was just the invite. That person was a developmental psych applicant. I’m not sure if the dates are only for that department or not. 

I think all interviews are on that date - but I think social is a bit behind because they're in the process of hiring new faculty and may take that into consideration (i.e., who is coming) since they're so big on everyone collaborating with everyone. Would assume they're gonna send them out very soon!

On 1/2/2019 at 9:40 PM, Psygeek said:

I think all interviews are on that date - but I think social is a bit behind because they're in the process of hiring new faculty and may take that into consideration (i.e., who is coming) since they're so big on everyone collaborating with everyone. Would assume they're gonna send them out very soon!

There’s a new post in the results section that says that UVA just started looking at apps. I’m assuming that’s just the social department but not sure.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:02 AM, Psyhopeful said:

Has anyone heard from UVA? I saw someone got an invite  to developmental psychology awhile ago in the results page, but nothing else. I applied to a mix of developmental and social POIs. It looks like their interview weekend is the last week in January, so I would think they’d have already sent invites out.

On 1/2/2019 at 9:40 PM, Psygeek said:

I just got an email asking for clarification about something and it mentioned that they had just made a job offer to someone and implied they were taking that person into consideration. The email also explicitly said they were just starting to review apps. So Psygeek seems correct!

18 minutes ago, veileddreamer said:

I just got an email asking for clarification about something and it mentioned that they had just made a job offer to someone and implied they were taking that person into consideration. The email also explicitly said they were just starting to review apps. So Psygeek seems correct!

Do you mean they made an offer to a potential professor or to a potential grad student? Did they imply that it was all of the psych departments that had just started reviewing, or if it was only social? 

24 minutes ago, flattery_245 said:

anyone hear from Princeton yet? The deadline was November 26 so I'm thinking we should be hearing soon...

I’m waiting to hear back as well... haven’t heard anything yet

6 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

Do you mean they made an offer to a potential professor or to a potential grad student? Did they imply that it was all of the psych departments that had just started reviewing, or if it was only social? 

As for social - they're hiring new faculty

8 hours ago, flattery_245 said:

Okay! Good to know. Who is your POI? 

I applied to work with either Elizabeth Levy Paluck, Deborah Prentice, or Johannes Haushofe. What about you? 

10 hours ago, flattery_245 said:

anyone hear from Princeton yet? The deadline was November 26 so I'm thinking we should be hearing soon...

45 minutes ago, HAC said:

I applied to work with either Elizabeth Levy Paluck, Deborah Prentice, or Johannes Haushofe. What about you? 

I applied to Princeton as well. And while I don't want to be the downer, they have sent all the interview invites, so if you haven't heard anything (I didn't either), it's probably bad news ?

I'm now past the denial phase and moving closer and closer to acceptance, so I'm wishing the same to you guys :)

21 minutes ago, Lucyshoneypie said:

I applied to Princeton as well. And while I don't want to be the downer, they have sent all the interview invites, so if you haven't heard anything (I didn't either), it's probably bad news ?

I'm now past the denial phase and moving closer and closer to acceptance, so I'm wishing the same to you guys :)

Well that’s good to know at least. How did you find out?

I asked the department if all the invites were sent, and the answer I got was

Hello, 
Sadly we could not invite everyone we would have liked to for our visiting day as our program is small and we could only invite a small number of students this year. 
I wish you the best of luck with your search in finding a graduate program that suits you best.  Thank you. Happy New Year!

Good luck with the rest of your applications!