Which programs are very LGBT friendly?

3 minutes ago, chasingcars95 said:

It's pretty obvious I'm not straight. ? Does anyone know of any schools with really accepting programs? My undergraduate program had a few bigoted professors who made things difficult. If you're in a program that's LGBT friendly, please let me know!

I am straight, so absolutely take this with a grain of salt since I cannot truly attest to my classmate's experiences who are LGBT. BUT, I think my program (University of Arizona) is very accepting. There are many people in my cohort and overall program who identify openly as LGBT and they all seem to feel secure here. All of the professors are very supportive in general and they all present liberal views. It is definitely not the right environment for someone who holds highly conservative views as I have not met anyone who would agree with them ?

That is awful that you had that experience in undergraduate! I wish you the best of luck finding a supportive environment! 

I also am straight and therefore cannot speak personally on this, but I think if you go to programs that are in pretty liberal areas it might not be much of an issue. For instance, I lived in western Massachusetts near UMass Amherst. I can't speak as to the specific makeup/viewpoint of the CSD program there, but the Amherst/Northampton area is outrageously liberal, and Northampton is the lesbian capital of the Northeast (or country?). If anyone in that area, especially professors, were not LGBTQ friendly they would get read the riot act!

I'm now at UVM--again, an incredibly liberal area--and it is a pretty welcoming environment. I grew up in Vermont; during high school three of my friends came out and no one batted an eye. Again, though, I cannot speak personally, so if anyone has experienced any differently feel free to correct me!

Edited by bibliophile222

I am sorry. That is heartbreaking. I am in graduate school at Pacific University is Forest Grove, OR (14 miles outside of Portland). The entire campus is focused on diversity and acceptances of everyone. I would definitely look into their program. We have the most compassionate and accepting professors ever! 

The SLP program at the University of New Mexico is very LGBTQ friendly, in my experience. I'm gay and totally open about it in my grad program. My husband regularly stops by the department or comes to events with me, classmates/faculty/staff ask about him (the way they would ask about any other spouse/significant other). I feel totally comfortable discussing it if it is relevant to a class discussion (i.e., "oh my husband's cousin is on the autism spectrum and...") There are several "safe zone" flags or stickers on faculty office doors. In our clinic we provide voice feminization services to the transgender community (I heard through the grapevine, but I can't verify this, that a few years ago one student was assigned to work with the voice fem group in clinic and asked not to because it went against "her beliefs"; the department chair explained kindly that she needed to act like a professional and provide quality care to her client or she wouldn't be able to graduate from our program). I have several LGBTQ classmates (some who are as you said, "obviously not straight"). This has been my experience both in my academic department and on the campus as a whole (getting health insurance for us both through my assistantship, student family housing, student health center, campus gym, etc). 

I think it is worth mentioning that I find New Mexico very comfortable with diversity in general. Racially/ethnically it is a "minority is the majority" state. 

Apart from the academic department and UNM campus, my partner and I feel pretty good about being a gay couple in Albuquerque. My husband is out at his job (mentioned it casually in the interview even); we've not had any issues holding hands, etc in public. Now don't get me wrong and think Albuquerque or all of NM is a paradise - it has issues (drugs, crime, etc), but we've found it to be a very accepting place for us. 

As you're looking at schools, you might google the university name and "safe zone" or "LGBTQ Ally list" or something like that. If you can't find it, see if the school has an LGBTQ or multicultural resource center that you can contact about it. Here's the one from my university: http://lgbtqrc.unm.edu/out-and-ally-list.html as an example. Many schools maintain a list like this. If you find it, see if you can search for faculty in your intended department. 

Edited by mcamp
Forgot something

• 4 weeks later...

MGH lets you write a diversity statement so I would assume they would be LGBT friendly

MGH Institute of Health Professions considers having a diverse student population a key element to the educational experience of its students and the CSD department dedicates a large portion of scholarship funds to diverse candidates. Diversity presents itself in many different forms, such as: socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, nationality or place of origin, disability, unique life or work experience, etc. We invite you to share with us how you might contribute to the diversification of our institute and your program. 

• 3 weeks later...

Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions!

We focus a lot on different cultures, acceptance, and professionalism. We also have a pro bono transgender voice clinic and work closely with the LGBTQ groups nearby.