2019 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admission Results

veldter

5 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

It's more of a psychology/neuroscience hybrid program. If the program allows you to work with the same faculty/faculty you're interested in, then it doesn't necessarily matter which program you're in.

Yeah I’m just worried about the stipend: at UW, I’ve heard their psych stipend is $8,000 lower than the neuro one. I’m also worried about the TA requirement and the different community as I’ve heard they have less programming (in the number of student activities sense) than the GPN. I know that they are also direct admit but it’s to the professor I most preferred.

Just asking because I’m trying to reduce the information gap as early as possible because I’m still waitlisted for two schools and will need to make a quick decision.

On 4/5/2019 at 8:39 AM, neko98 said:

I heard back from them last Thursday or Friday. I believe interviews are being held this week over phone. 

thanks for sharing and sorry for the late reply~ did the email mention how many applicants will be interviewed and will there be more invitation in the future? I am going to email them again!!! I think I have gone mad...

On 4/8/2019 at 1:31 PM, HawaiiLee808 said:

Yeah I’m just worried about the stipend: at UW, I’ve heard their psych stipend is $8,000 lower than the neuro one. I’m also worried about the TA requirement and the different community as I’ve heard they have less programming (in the number of student activities sense) than the GPN. I know that they are also direct admit but it’s to the professor I most preferred.

Just asking because I’m trying to reduce the information gap as early as possible because I’m still waitlisted for two schools and will need to make a quick decision.

The stipend question is legitimate. It may be worth contacting someone in that department and asking what the stipend is. As for TAing, find out where their funding comes from - is your stipend dependent on you TAing every semester? These are things to consider. I'd worry less about programming, especially since grad students tend to be too busy to go to most things.

21 hours ago, TheWingedApollo said:

This might be a little tangential to the original topic of this post, but has anyone heard back from Georgetown IPN regarding reimbursements? I interviewed in January and STILL have not been reimbursed.

I also haven't been reimbursed from Georgetown IPN (interviewed in Jan too) and have emailed Becky Hoxter about it twice and she has yet to respond.

5 hours ago, neurogal10 said:

I also haven't been reimbursed from Georgetown IPN (interviewed in Jan too) and have emailed Becky Hoxter about it twice and she has yet to respond.

Man, you guys definitely should have gotten it back by now. The only one I'm still waiting on is the place I interviewed with in March. I would try reaching out to someone else in the program (Admissions chair or something).

On 4/9/2019 at 7:19 PM, BabyScientist said:

The stipend question is legitimate. It may be worth contacting someone in that department and asking what the stipend is. As for TAing, find out where their funding comes from - is your stipend dependent on you TAing every semester? These are things to consider. I'd worry less about programming, especially since grad students tend to be too busy to go to most things.

Thanks yeah I just found out from the Chair that there are no hard rules for this and it's really up to the individual PI (it's direct admit). I had a good conversation with the PI and they think that matching the stipend of the GPN students is perfectly reasonable. 

8 hours ago, HawaiiLee808 said:

Thanks yeah I just found out from the Chair that there are no hard rules for this and it's really up to the individual PI (it's direct admit). I had a good conversation with the PI and they think that matching the stipend of the GPN students is perfectly reasonable. 

That's amazing! The PI must really want you. 

9 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

That's amazing! The PI must really want you. 

Yeah he has really been pulling for me and was fairly disappointed I didn't get admitted to the GPN; this year, BU apparently had >500 applicants but only wanted to take a class of 8; it was insane.

2 hours ago, HawaiiLee808 said:

Yeah he has really been pulling for me and was fairly disappointed I didn't get admitted to the GPN; this year, BU apparently had >500 applicants but only wanted to take a class of 8; it was insane.

Regardless, congratulations! It sounds like a great option. 

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! Congrats on all the acceptances!!! I'm applying the upcoming cycle (hopefully) for neuroscience or biomedical science and could really get some advise. 

International student attending US college. GPA is not competitive (3.45/4.0), and only have one semester left, so no hope on rising that. Taking GRE next month and September if the previous one doesn't go well(aiming for ~325). RA in a computational neuro lab for 1.5 yrs, and I'm doing an independent study in that lab next semester too. Volunteering in a big neuro lab in Case this summer. No pub/poster. Here are my list so far, any suggestion? What do you think my chances are...

Case, Cornell, Einstein, Mayo Clinic, Icahn, UW, UM Ann Arbor, BU, UMass Med,  U Colorado Denver 

Also, question for international students who are attending especially biomedical programs. I see that majority program grants full tuition and fee wavier. Does international student get it too or do we have to find our own source of funding, like contacting professors?

1 hour ago, Zhili YY said:

Hi guys! Congrats on all the acceptances!!! I'm applying the upcoming cycle (hopefully) for neuroscience or biomedical science and could really get some advise. 

International student attending US college. GPA is not competitive (3.45/4.0), and only have one semester left, so no hope on rising that. Taking GRE next month and September if the previous one doesn't go well(aiming for ~325). RA in a computational neuro lab for 1.5 yrs, and I'm doing an independent study in that lab next semester too. Volunteering in a big neuro lab in Case this summer. No pub/poster. Here are my list so far, any suggestion? What do you think my chances are...

Case, Cornell, Einstein, Mayo Clinic, Icahn, UW, UM Ann Arbor, BU, UMass Med,  U Colorado Denver 

Also, question for international students who are attending especially biomedical programs. I see that majority program grants full tuition and fee wavier. Does international student get it too or do we have to find our own source of funding, like contacting professors?

Shouldn't this be bumped to a Fall 2020 thread? I'm also applying this cycle... 

51 minutes ago, Neuromantic said:

Shouldn't this be bumped to a Fall 2020 thread? I'm also applying this cycle... 

I don't know, looks like there isn't one. I guess we are early lol

On 5/29/2019 at 12:06 PM, Zhili YY said:

I won't say anything about your chances because I'm not on the admissions committee and I can't give you any objective information on that. I think the list of schools you have are good, a good mix of mid to high tier universities there. I might even drop 1 or 2 big name schools like Harvard, Princeton, Yale, etc if you can afford the application fee. 

I am also an international student who applied in this past cycle (2019 cycle) and I was admitted to most of my first and second choices. They will mostly (if not all) offer full tuition and stipend to international students. Having your own source of funding is helpful in increasing your chances (as well as contacting professors), but it's not necessary at all.

You can generally find detailed information about funding on program websites or emailing the program coordinator can also be helpful in clarifying any questions that you might have. Best of luck!