Fall 2019 PhD Applications (Bio related disciplines)

Ayub2306

New to the forum here - have applied for PhD programs in Biological and Biomedical Sciences at six schools. I have been invited for a campus visit for Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). Haven't heard from any other schools yet. Fingers crossed!

20 hours ago, ckelley said:

New to the forum here - have applied for PhD programs in Biological and Biomedical Sciences at six schools. I have been invited for a campus visit for Indiana University - Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI). Haven't heard from any other schools yet. Fingers crossed!

Oh I am glad. Are you a US or non US fellow? I am an international candidate. I have applied to 11 US universities. I'm quite stressed as I have not heard from any.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a US candidate. Just got a rejection letter from Washington University. Disheartening, but not surprising as they have the #1 program in Molecular Genetics and Genomics in the country. Four schools left to hear from!

On 12/29/2018 at 12:33 AM, ckelley said:

I am a US candidate. Just got a rejection letter from Washington University. Disheartening, but not surprising as they have the #1 program in Molecular Genetics and Genomics in the country. Four schools left to hear from!

Well...Let's hope for the best. I am an international candidate and I still am waiting for decisions. I have applied to 11 universities of all ranges in bio related disciplines for PhD but I haven't heard from any. Theraeson why I asked for US or non US thing is because I wanted to know the timeline as well. This makes sure as to how and when they are evaluating people.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2018 at 12:00 PM, Ayub2306 said:

Well...Let's hope for the best. I am an international candidate and I still am waiting for decisions. I have applied to 11 universities of all ranges in bio related disciplines for PhD but I haven't heard from any. Theraeson why I asked for US or non US thing is because I wanted to know the timeline as well. This makes sure as to how and when they are evaluating people.

Hey! I am an international student too (also from India). Applied to neuroscience and biomedical programs. I just received a single interview invite and no response from the others. Upon emailing a few universities, I was told that they send interview invitations as late as mid-February, regardless of the domestic/international candidate. *fingers crossed for both of us*

On 1/18/2019 at 5:14 PM, Madhattress said:

Hey! I am an international student too (also from India). Applied to neuroscience and biomedical programs. I just received a single interview invite and no response from the others. Upon emailing a few universities, I was told that they send interview invitations as late as mid-February, regardless of the domestic/international candidate. *fingers crossed for both of us*

Atleast you received an interview invite. i only have 3 straight rejections.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:36 PM, Ayub2306 said:

Atleast you received an interview invite. i only have 3 straight rejections.

Don't lose hope! You still have 8 places to hear back from! Something would definitely work out! I applied to 16 places, out of which one rejected me, one sent me an interview invite and 14 universities have not responded to anything whatsoever. 

Accepted (0/16) - None

Rejected (1/16) - Van Andel Graduate School

Wait-listed (0/16) - None

Interview (1/16) - Purdue University

I got just one interview as well, and I am sooooo stressful recently .

As I have been told they are still reviewing applications, I applied for 15 schools and have 9 others to wait, feel hopeless.

Accepted (0/15) - None

Rejected (4/15) - U Penn, NYU Sackler, Northwestern, U Minn

Wait-listed (0/15) - Tufts Sackler, Boston

Interview (1/15) - UFL

Edited by Yirannnn

• 3 weeks later...

To all the people posting here - 

While writing up on this page hoping that one day I might post a positive reply here but unfortunately, I could not do so. So, I am wishing good luck to all those who got accepted in various PhD programs. In my case, I applied to 11 universities out of which got rejected by 8. I also, as of now, do not have any positive hopes from the other 3 available universities as it is already mid-February. I applied to 3 universities before for Fall 2018 but could not get admitted. I left everything, made my profile better and applied again for Fall 2019. For those of you, who think my profile must be weak let me tell you my profile summary - 3.62 GPA, 107/120 TOEFL, 2+ years research experience, 1 publication, 3 conference posters and won in all three. So, I am now giving up on this PhD dream of mine. I don't have any hopes and as per my financial condition goes I have already spent half of my savings in giving these exams, filling applications and again repeating the same.

Good Luck to all others. Hope you all do your PhD successfully. Also, Thank You for reading my rant for 2 minutes. I felt light. I don't want to spread negativity.