NYU Sackler Institute of Graduate Biomedical Sciences (F19)

Ayub2306

undergrad GPA: 4.0, Masters: 3.51

5+ years of research. post bacc 3+

One 3rd author paper. On the verge of submitting my first author paper (haven't mentioned that explicitly in the application- just because it's not a sure thing). No GRE. International Student with American degrees. 

Rejected UMich PIBS (They are really not international student friendly- which I know based on me being there for 3+ years)

Interview: Icahn school Mount Sinai

Haven't heard from

NYU sackler

UWisc-Madison Cancer Bio

UMinnesota MiCAB

Umich MCDB

Pittsburgh

Northwestern DGP

UT Southwestern

UC Denver Anschutz Cancer Bio

UMass Med

I thought I was an okay candidate, and I feel like I did shoot pretty high, but the not hearing part is agonizing. 

When did you send the email, and who responded?

2 hours ago, C8H10N4O2_95 said:

Here is a reply from the admissions office today:

"We are still in the process of inviting applicants, and we will notify those not invited as soon as we can."

I guess there is still hope..

17 hours ago, googoogaagaa said:

I thought I was an okay candidate, and I feel like I did shoot pretty high, but the not hearing part is agonizing. 

Me too, obviously each school has their own needs and policies, and I did not see this coming. Just fingers crossed for further invitations.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:01 PM, Trillwave_24 said:

Any validity to that rejection post on the results page?

All of the NYC schools and the top programs are in winter break until January 2nd, I would ignore most posting on the results sections until then, and by all means, try to relax and enjoy the holidays ya All !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 12/21/2018 at 12:24 PM, googoogaagaa said:

undergrad GPA: 4.0, Masters: 3.51

5+ years of research. post bacc 3+

One 3rd author paper. On the verge of submitting my first author paper (haven't mentioned that explicitly in the application- just because it's not a sure thing). No GRE. International Student with American degrees. 

Rejected UMich PIBS (They are really not international student friendly- which I know based on me being there for 3+ years)

Interview: Icahn school Mount Sinai

Haven't heard from

NYU sackler

UWisc-Madison Cancer Bio

UMinnesota MiCAB

Umich MCDB

Pittsburgh

Northwestern DGP

UT Southwestern

UC Denver Anschutz Cancer Bio

UMass Med

I am international (European) and got interviews at both UMich (Jan31-Feb2nd) and NYU Sackler (Feb28-March1st). Anyone will be there around these dates?? DM me! thanks!

2 hours ago, CancerBiology said:

Hey! Just got the email for travel arrangements today. Are you interviewing there on Feb28-March1? I am too!

I got it today too! Yes, I'm interviewing that weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

To all the people posting here - 

I started this page hoping that one day I might post a positive reply here but unfortunately, I could not do so. So, I am wishing good luck to all those who got accepted in NYU's Sackler Biomedical PhD program and better luck next time to those who got somewhere else. In my case, I applied to 11 universities out of which got rejected by 8. I also, as of now, do not have any positive hopes from the other 3 available universities as it is already mid-February. I applied to 3 universities before for Fall 2018 but could not get admitted. I left everything, made my profile better and applied again for Fall 2019. For those of you, who think my profile must be weak let me tell you my profile summary - 3.62 GPA, 107/120 TOEFL, 2+ years research experience, 1 publication, 3 conference posters and won in all three. So, I am now giving up on this PhD dream of mine. I don't have any hopes and as per my financial condition goes I have already spent half of my savings in giving these exams, filling applications and again repeating the same.

Good Luck to all others. Hope you all do your PhD successfully. Also, Thank You for reading my rant for 2 minutes. I felt light.

15 hours ago, Ayub2306 said:

To all the people posting here - 

I started this page hoping that one day I might post a positive reply here but unfortunately, I could not do so. So, I am wishing good luck to all those who got accepted in NYU's Sackler Biomedical PhD program and better luck next time to those who got somewhere else. In my case, I applied to 11 universities out of which got rejected by 8. I also, as of now, do not have any positive hopes from the other 3 available universities as it is already mid-February. I applied to 3 universities before for Fall 2018 but could not get admitted. I left everything, made my profile better and applied again for Fall 2019. For those of you, who think my profile must be weak let me tell you my profile summary - 3.62 GPA, 107/120 TOEFL, 2+ years research experience, 1 publication, 3 conference posters and won in all three. So, I am now giving up on this PhD dream of mine. I don't have any hopes and as per my financial condition goes I have already spent half of my savings in giving these exams, filling applications and again repeating the same.

Good Luck to all others. Hope you all do your PhD successfully. Also, Thank You for reading my rant for 2 minutes. I felt light.

Hi friend,

I am not going to ignore the realities of graduate school applications, it's getting increasingly competitive and still unfairly biased towards candidates who can afford admission fees, prep materials, taking time off to do apps/interviews, etc. But I also want to offer you my support. If this is your dream, do not give up! I know that at this point in time it seems as if nothing will get you to where you want to be. Please let me know how I can help, whether it be looking at your application, giving you advice on what to do next, or just listening to your story. I don't want to seem preachy or like a know-it-all, but rather offer a peer some encouragement.

Please feel free to PM me! Best wishes to you.

8 hours ago, yash13177 said:

Hi friend,

I am not going to ignore the realities of graduate school applications, it's getting increasingly competitive and still unfairly biased towards candidates who can afford admission fees, prep materials, taking time off to do apps/interviews, etc. But I also want to offer you my support. If this is your dream, do not give up! I know that at this point in time it seems as if nothing will get you to where you want to be. Please let me know how I can help, whether it be looking at your application, giving you advice on what to do next, or just listening to your story. I don't want to seem preachy or like a know-it-all, but rather offer a peer some encouragement.

Please feel free to PM me! Best wishes to you.

Thank you. This means a lot!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, Sackler had the last batch of interviews this past week and the committee met today from what I have been told. So they are not done with decisions judging from this. I for one, have been anxious and almost about to start plugging my eyebrows...my PI said the path of science never gets easier, especially the waits (for applications, grants, etc) and I guess we should all take their word for it. Mental health is a big deal...it is necessary to check in with yourself every once in a while and dont let the self-doubts and anxiety take over you.  

14 hours ago, immerbesserwerden said:

Hey guys, Sackler had the last batch of interviews this past week and the committee met today from what I have been told. So they are not done with decisions judging from this. I for one, have been anxious and almost about to start plugging my eyebrows...my PI said the path of science never gets easier, especially the waits (for applications, grants, etc) and I guess we should all take their word for it. Mental health is a big deal...it is necessary to check in with yourself every once in a while and dont let the self-doubts and anxiety take over you.  

Do you know when they will start sending out the decisions??? 

38 minutes ago, Mike Glass said:

Do you know when they will start sending out the decisions??? 

I went to the last interview session (Feb 28th - March 1st). They said we will hear back between late this week and the beginning of April.