Audiology Applicants Fall 2019

allaboutears

Hey everyone! I haven't posted before, just read what others have been saying, and this is completely off topic from everyone else's posts, but I am going to be attending the University of Iowa next fall, and if anyone else is considering Iowa or has already accepted, I would love to connect with you, or form a Facebook group, or something! 

50 minutes ago, TCW3715 said:

Hey everyone! I haven't posted before, just read what others have been saying, and this is completely off topic from everyone else's posts, but I am going to be attending the University of Iowa next fall, and if anyone else is considering Iowa or has already accepted, I would love to connect with you, or form a Facebook group, or something! 

just curious - have you heard about funding from Iowa yet? It’s one of my top 3 choices, but don’t think i’ll go without funding (out of state). 

36 minutes ago, HearIAm said:

just curious - have you heard about funding from Iowa yet? It’s one of my top 3 choices, but don’t think i’ll go without funding (out of state). 

I haven't heard, I'm out of state too. But, compared to other schools I got into it was definitely cheaper, even if I pay the full-tuition, especially considering cost of living in Iowa City. But they also had the most opportunities to apply for TA and GA positions, including ones outside of the department and they also said they offer more funding closer to the start of the semester once students have accepted, so hoping for something then maybe. 

21 hours ago, libAuD said:

@MBLBPB  So I just got an email saying I was put on the waitlist for USF!  It's not a yes but it's also not a no so I'll take it!  Really hoping I'll get an acceptance!!

For those of you who have been put on waitlist, what are your ideas about asking what position you are on the waitlist?  I just want to know if I'm close to being chosen next or have a lot of people in front of me!

I also got an email saying I was waitlisted! I am honestly kinda still excited since I heard their cohorts are a little bigger than most. I want to email them and ask what my rank on the waitlist is because I just got admitted into ECU and need to know if I should just accept their offer. 

Hey guys! As of today I've heard back from every school I applied to. Rejected for 2, waitlisted at 3, and have an interview next week for the last one. I'm feeling very discouraged right now so does anyone have any advice on the big "what if I don't get in anywhere"? I know waitlist isn't the end of the world and there's still a chance to get into those schools but at this point the outlook is pretty bleak.

Hi so far I have been waitlisted at UC-Boulder and Pacific University in Portland. I am waiting to hear back on East Carolina University (ECU) and Salus. I have not gotten called for an interview yet on the last two...

I have been rejected to four other schools (I applied to 8 total).

Is getting off the wait list a good possibility? Is it bad I haven't heard from those last two? I am so anxious and this whole process has me on edge!

Edited by AUDFR

4 hours ago, nstrom15 said:

Hey guys! As of today I've heard back from every school I applied to. Rejected for 2, waitlisted at 3, and have an interview next week for the last one. I'm feeling very discouraged right now so does anyone have any advice on the big "what if I don't get in anywhere"? I know waitlist isn't the end of the world and there's still a chance to get into those schools but at this point the outlook is pretty bleak.

Hey! Don't feel discouraged! There is still a good chance you will be accepted, and if not, you can use the year to grow yourself  to increase your resume as well as gain skills that will help you for the next application cycle. That's what I did. I applied to Audiology school last year during the Fall 2018 application season and ended up getting rejected from 4/5 schools that I applied to. At first, I was disheartened but I decided to take the time to work towards my goals in other ways. I'm interested in working with Spanish speakers so I applied to teach English abroad in Spain. While here, I've been able to improve my Spanish comprehension and conversational skills. I've also learned a great deal about working with people from other cultures, public speaking, and teaching, among other things. Personally, I'm really grateful I was able to take this time off. Taking time away from school has helped me to realize I wasn't ready for graduate course work yet and that I was just applying for grad school because that is what everyone in my cohort at school was doing. Undergrad had been really stressful for me and I needed some time to decompress and really think if Audiology was something I wanted to do and why. I ultimately decided that it was and I decided that I would take this time off to better myself and gain skills that would bring me closer to my goals. Today, I have been accepted into 2 programs for Fall 2019 and have an interview next week for another school I applied to. Moral of the story, there is no shame in taking a year off to gain career skills that you can't learn in a classroom. In my experience, I think it actually made my resume stronger, considering that is the only thing that I changed on my applications. If you end up getting accepted somewhere, great! But if you don't, look at it as an opportunity to continue working toward your goals in other ways.

8 hours ago, SK-AuD said:

I also got an email saying I was waitlisted! I am honestly kinda still excited since I heard their cohorts are a little bigger than most. I want to email them and ask what my rank on the waitlist is because I just got admitted into ECU and need to know if I should just accept their offer. 

So I actually went ahead and emailed them and they said they didn't have a set ranking on positions! :( I feel the same way though!  I just found out I got into UF(yay) but I want to do more research into UF before telling ETSU no!  Being on the waitlist is good for now but hopefully we find out soon!!

For anyone that knows anything about University of Florida let me know!  I've heard some iffy things about the program but it's still ranked pretty high!  Just want to get some feedback before I go and visit!

37 minutes ago, libAuD said:

So I actually went ahead and emailed them and they said they didn't have a set ranking on positions! :( I feel the same way though!  I just found out I got into UF(yay) but I want to do more research into UF before telling ETSU no!  Being on the waitlist is good for now but hopefully we find out soon!!

For anyone that knows anything about University of Florida let me know!  I've heard some iffy things about the program but it's still ranked pretty high!  Just want to get some feedback before I go and visit!

I emailed them too and got the same response.... I'lll probably email them back in a week or two to ask what my chances are since she mentioned they were going through the waitlist pool to determine the top people 

20 hours ago, nstrom15 said:

First, think positive thoughts! Don't count yourself out just yet, you're still waitlisted and have an interview to prepare for :) anything can happen!

I met one student that shared their story about not getting into anywhere the first time around. During that gap year she worked for an ENT to gain more experience and save money. She said it was actually a huge blessing because she saved enough to be comfortable and didn't have to take out as much in loans. 

Also ditto what @SEM596 said!

did anyone receive financial aid from Vandy? Thought their website said a lot of students received SOMETHING, but my friend and I both just got letters in the mail saying they don’t have the funds to offer us anything. No big deal, just thought they offered more people something? Congrats to anyone who received funding :)

I made a last minute decision to attend the Open House at Syracuse University next weekend. Since I live in western Canada, it's a big trip. But I wanted to meet my potential faculty and cohort before I make a commitment. If you are also going, give me a shout out! I'd like to connect!

P.S - Has anyone heard from Louisiana State?

Edited by MBLBPB

On 3/15/2019 at 4:23 PM, HearIAm said:

did anyone receive financial aid from Vandy? Thought their website said a lot of students received SOMETHING, but my friend and I both just got letters in the mail saying they don’t have the funds to offer us anything. No big deal, just thought they offered more people something? Congrats to anyone who received funding :)

Also got nothing; I would really like to see if people got money. I've heard one person gets a full ride and then it totally depends on the year what else is distributed

5 hours ago, uwaud said:

Got an email from Syracuse asking to speak on the phone sometime next week (I've already been accepted). Did anyone get this email too or know why they would like to speak again?

I did. It was the same prof who interviewed me. I'm speaking with her next week.