Fall 2019 Applicants

On 2/16/2019 at 10:12 AM, stressedimposter said:

I got neither a reject nor an acceptance from Cornell. What could it mean?! Just. Need. To. Know.

Just got the reject mail. With the standard 'Decline.pdf' attached. And to add insult the subject said 'Fw: Admissions Letter'. Not even a mention of my name. ?

Sorry. Just sour grapeing about this. 

There should be a what school gives out the harshest and most impersonal rejections competition. I got one from the University of Florida and it didn't even have a greeting. The body of the email is literally the same letter they attach and it starts with "I regret to inform you that your name was not among those selected for admission to our department for the Fall 2019 semester". When I read that I was like: 

tenor.gif?itemid=9342158

4 hours ago, stressedimposter said:

Just got the reject mail. With the standard 'Decline.pdf' attached. And to add insult the subject said 'Fw: Admissions Letter'. Not even a mention of my name. ?

Sorry. Just sour grapeing about this. 

I got that on Friday. Yours had "Fw:" so I guess they couldn't be bothered to draft a new thread? I also like how the font was the standard default when you open Microsoft Word. I realize this observation makes me overly petty, but I can't help that I am an avid font observer!

The whole Cornell rejection process has just been impersonal and, by our shared experiences evidenced on this forum...rushed and dismissive. A rejection is a rejection, sure. But I believe their app fee was one of the highest, $105? I can't get Times New Roman and a mention of my name for $105?

While we're here being sour together, what about "Admissions Letter," a little misleading, maybe? "Decision Letter" seems better?

You know to be deadly honest, all I want it a note that says "No, it's over." But what I want attached is a breakdown of the number of apps, waitlists, accepts, etc. That said, I'm saddened that these programs won't take all of 10-15 minutes for each applicant to give some idea of why they were rejected and/o what might've contributed to a stronger and more desirable profile. That would seem kind and respectful and would allow us to stop guessing and maybe even better tailor our apps next time if we reapply. 

Hey, just reposting from sociology: 

Anyone apply to U Chicago's conceptual and historical studies of science committee? I need to hear back from them before I make my decision and am considering reaching out. Would that be rude?

Having applied to 13 programs, I've heard back from 4. It seems like at this point, if I haven't had an interview I'm likely out. It would be really great to know this for a fact, however, because I absolutely hate these moments of hope that I keep having. Just kill the dream already and let me move on with my life. 

To be fair, I have 2 accepts and 2 rejects, so it's not like everything is useless. I just want to know if my first choice doesn't like me for sure. Sort of like the way you want to know if the person you're really into when you're 12 likes you, like-likes you, or just isn't that into you. This whole process has started to feel very much like middle school crush obsessing to me. Sigh.

Edited by synthema

I feel for all of you. To be honest I have given up on everything on this cycle because I have not heard back from all other four schools I am waiting. I am now moving on to my backup plans, like applying for post-bacc programs to improve my language skills for my intended areas and also finding source of finance. It is almost a liberating sensation, and I do not know how I was unable to achieve this. Maybe getting three rejections in a row helped? 

7 hours ago, scarseed said:

You know to be deadly honest, all I want it a note that says "No, it's over." But what I want attached is a breakdown of the number of apps, waitlists, accepts, etc. That said, I'm saddened that these programs won't take all of 10-15 minutes for each applicant to give some idea of why they were rejected and/o what might've contributed to a stronger and more desirable profile. That would seem kind and respectful and would allow us to stop guessing and maybe even better tailor our apps next time if we reapply. 

I'd be happy with even a two minute note on the subject, like "vague SOP" or whatnot to give some kind of idea. Then again, many departments probably don't want to give out statistics or any indication of how they make their decisions, which are likely idiosyncratic and based more on interest of a faculty member rather than some objective measure. 

10 hours ago, perpetualalligator said:

There should be a what school gives out the harshest and most impersonal rejections competition. I got one from the University of Florida and it didn't even have a greeting. The body of the email is literally the same letter they attach and it starts with "I regret to inform you that your name was not among those selected for admission to our department for the Fall 2019 semester". 

My rejection from UT Austin and Michigan was just a note to check the portal, which were both rather harsh in their wording. Not even a letter.

I'm more miffed by all the schools who wait until the last possible moment to send out their rejections. If I'm not even being considered, at least give me a heads up so I can move on with my life rather than just holding on to the possibility. 

7 hours ago, scarseed said:

Cornell, in their defense, halfway did this:

”Unfortunately, because we received well over 100 applications for 6 positions, we are not able to provide individual feedback to the applicants that are not admitted to the program.”

@grcalt I got a rejection last week from Berkeley's med anth program after interviewing with them on the 29th. If you haven't heard you might be on a waitlist? Secretly breathing a sigh of relief--cost of living there is crazy.

Question--I was accepted to Case Western Reserve's Anthropology graduate program earlier this month and it's unclear to me why they make the distinction on their current graduate student profiles between "Graduate" and "PhD." It appears all of the current students listed on the department page are Phd candidates, but sometimes their "type," which is listed in its own column, is listed as "Phd" and sometimes as "Graduate." Any ideas?

Received rejections from Florida and Oregon State last week (not super surprised because they weren't the best matches, I was just shooting my shot) BUT I was accepted into Maryland's MAA this morning! Waitlisted for funding, though. Anyone out there have experience with UMD and their funding?

On 2/18/2019 at 10:04 AM, perpetualalligator said:

There should be a what school gives out the harshest and most impersonal rejections competition. I got one from the University of Florida and it didn't even have a greeting. The body of the email is literally the same letter they attach and it starts with "I regret to inform you that your name was not among those selected for admission to our department for the Fall 2019 semester". When I read that I was like: 

tenor.gif?itemid=9342158

My email was the same. It also listed off 5 reasons someone may have been denied, which felt like nails in the coffin lol so thanks Florida 

1 hour ago, kandai said:

@grcalt I got a rejection last week from Berkeley's med anth program after interviewing with them on the 29th. If you haven't heard you might be on a waitlist? Secretly breathing a sigh of relief--cost of living there is crazy.

Oh, thank you for letting me know. When you heard from them did they say that they had offered people acceptances?

I am on the waiting list for Sociocultural anthropology of UPENN. Do you think would anyone decline his/her admission offer? how is the chance of getting off the list? And I am neither rejected nor accepted by University of Texas Austin. Has anyone heard back from them? I applied for socicultural anthropology.  

1 hour ago, PompeyMagnus said:

Speaking of which, I haven't heard a peep from NYU or Boulder, anyone have any contact from those schools yet? I thought I saw an acceptance from Boulder on the board before, but maybe I imagined it? 

I saw the Boulder acceptance too and it's been driving me INSANE. I also saw a rejection from Boulder but it was a personal email from a POI both in archeology. According to past years it seems that POIs have emailed students that have been accepted (idk people don't really specify whether it was a message to check the portal or a personal email) during the first 2 weeks of February and those who have been rejected receive a notice towards the end of February ? That does not look good for us, but also I have seriously considered calling them to find out. It is killing me.

In terms of NYU some people have been contacted. In the results page the sociocultural person who submitted an acceptance (they got an unofficial email from their POI) said they had an informal Skype interview beforehand. In terms of when we would find out about their decision the results page is kind of all over the place but I would guess that maybe we might hear something towards the end of February/beginning of March? That's all I've been able to find out.

7 minutes ago, scarseed said:

What were the reasons? Very curious.

I think Florida has the world's best rejection letter (also I just noticed it is dated January 22nd. It took them like 2/3 weeks to send it. WTF!!!). Here it is:

denial.png

Edited by perpetualalligator

@grcalt It was a really generic letter in their application system. I got an email with a link to the update. I don't believe they wrote anything specific about acceptances. They're probably figuring out funding offers, which might take some time.

Just now, PompeyMagnus said:

@perpetualalligator just checked Boulder's portal and the decision was up. I got rejected, I hope you have better luck!

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? I'm sorry to hear that ? I've been obsessively checking the portal and I haven't seen anything. Did you get an email telling you to check the portal? Also by portal you mean the grad apply page right or is there another one?

1 minute ago, perpetualalligator said:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? I'm sorry to hear that ? I've been obsessively checking the portal and I haven't seen anything. Did you get an email telling you to check the portal? Also by portal you mean the grad apply page right or is there another one?

No email, just read you comment and thought I would check it just to be sure. Also yeah, just that "application status" page you can log into. There was a yellow box at the top saying "new notification" or something like that.

Even though I got into my top choice program, getting 3 rejections in one day (Bloomington, Duke, Boulder) kind of stings!!