Fall 2019 Applicants

Hi folks!

I thought it wouldn't be a bad a idea to start one of these threads for Anthropology. So, if there's anyone out there who is applying this year, I thought it would be nice to have a space to talk about applications (at least those that have a January deadline), iterviews, results...all that nerve-racking stuff ?‍♀️ 

I guess I'll start: I'm applying to PhD programs at CU Boulder, CUNY, UIUC, NYU, Harvard, UF, UCSD, Vanderbilt, and American University. I am interested in social/cultural anthropology.

I'm mostly done with my apps, just waiting for my professors to submit their LORs, which has been kind of stressful.  So yeah, let's talk!

On 12/25/2018 at 1:19 PM, perpetualalligator said:

Hi folks!

I thought it wouldn't be a bad a idea to start one of these threads for Anthropology. So, if there's anyone out there who is applying this year, I thought it would be nice to have a space to talk about applications (at least those that have a January deadline), iterviews, results...all that nerve-racking stuff ?‍♀️ 

I guess I'll start: I'm applying to PhD programs at CU Boulder, CUNY, UIUC, NYU, Harvard, UF, UCSD, Vanderbilt, and American University. I am interested in social/cultural anthropology.

I'm mostly done with my apps, just waiting for my professors to submit their LORs, which has been kind of stressful.  So yeah, let's talk!

Good luck with your applications! I'm at Vandy, so feel free to DM me if you have any questions. Happy Holidays :)

I'm applying to MA programs in medical anthropology at Georgia State, Maryland, Colorado-Denver, Oregon State, Alaska, and the MA/MPH (epidemiology) dual-degree program at South Florida. I submitted all my application at the beginning of December, and now I'm just waiting on a few final LORs!

Good luck everyone!

I'm applying for bioanth PhD programs at NYU, Colorado Boulder, Nevada Reno, Ohio State, Arizona State, UNC, and UIUC. I still have to submit my Colorado and Nevada apps but they should be done soon. 

I have read so much on this site about how the waiting was the worst part but I didn't believe it until now. I can't wait until some decisions are made! 

On 12/26/2018 at 6:22 PM, spoitier said:

I'm applying to MA programs in medical anthropology at Georgia State, Maryland, Colorado-Denver, Oregon State, Alaska, and the MA/MPH (epidemiology) dual-degree program at South Florida. I submitted all my application at the beginning of December, and now I'm just waiting on a few final LORs!

Good luck everyone!

Let me know if you have any questions about GSU! I did my Anthropology and MPH there!

On 12/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, Lemonsour123 said:

I'm applying for bioanth PhD programs at NYU, Colorado Boulder, Nevada Reno, Ohio State, Arizona State, UNC, and UIUC. I still have to submit my Colorado and Nevada apps but they should be done soon. 

I have read so much on this site about how the waiting was the worst part but I didn't believe it until now. I can't wait until some decisions are made! 

Currently doing my PhD at UIC for bioanth!

I am applying to sociocultural/medical anth PhD programs for Fall! NYU, UC Boulder, Notre Dame, Duke, Indiana University Bloomington, and Purdue. Everything's all turned in, now just to anxiously wait!!

Best of luck to everyone!

I'm interested in zooarchaeology and applied to the UNC-Chapel Hill Anthropology PhD program and the UChicago Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations PhD program (both due SO early in December). Currently in a one year Master's in York, England! 

Best of luck everyone!

Hi! The Ohio State acceptance was me!!! I totally didn't expect to hear anything back this early but my POI emailed me this afternoon. As you said it is an incredible relief to have such a great option already, I hope everyone hears back from their schools soon!

18 hours ago, Lemonsour123 said:

Hi! The Ohio State acceptance was me!!! I totally didn't expect to hear anything back this early but my POI emailed me this afternoon. As you said it is an incredible relief to have such a great option already, I hope everyone hears back from their schools soon!

Congrats! It's good to see the anthro listings starting out the season with an acceptance! 

Hey all! Applying to sociocultural programs at Duke, Penn, MIT, Michigan, and Chicago. (Selection very limited by the fact that my partner is only considering law school in these locations.) Not really certain about my odds for any of them, so whatever happens happens. Couldn't help but notice that there was a Duke interview announced today--congrats!! :) Does anyone know if Duke sends out interview requests all at once from one party or if individual faculty members send them out? 

PS: up this early just because I'm in London right now--being on this side of the Atlantic, especially during this snowstorm, has given me plenty of time to speculate and refresh my inbox lol

1 hour ago, woop said:

Hey all! Applying to sociocultural programs at Duke, Penn, MIT, Michigan, and Chicago. (Selection very limited by the fact that my partner is only considering law school in these locations.) Not really certain about my odds for any of them, so whatever happens happens. Couldn't help but notice that there was a Duke interview announced today--congrats!! :) Does anyone know if Duke sends out interview requests all at once from one party or if individual faculty members send them out? 

PS: up this early just because I'm in London right now--being on this side of the Atlantic, especially during this snowstorm, has given me plenty of time to speculate and refresh my inbox lol

Hey Woop, I would guess individually! It's only 8:30 am in Durham right now, which means it was about 7:30 am when you saw it, and who knows how much earlier than that it was posted. It's just a feeling but, if it was standardized, I would guess it would go out during some type of 9-5 range. But who knows?! All we can do is sit here and hit F5. 

49 minutes ago, LetsGetThisBread said:

Hey Woop, I would guess individually! It's only 8:30 am in Durham right now, which means it was about 7:30 am when you saw it, and who knows how much earlier than that it was posted. It's just a feeling but, if it was standardized, I would guess it would go out during some type of 9-5 range. But who knows?! All we can do is sit here and hit F5. 

Good points! Thanks for assuaging my nerves a bit. I'll keep pressing F5 with all of you lol

Hey all, I've applied to socio-cultural anthropology at Duke, UNC Chapel Hill, JHU, Toronto, and McGill. Best of luck to everyone!

P.S. Saw the Duke interview as well, tense but excited that decisions are closing in over the next few weeks.

Edited by pmcol

@Lemonsour123 The letter I got says that they "have sent the first round of offers" so that might mean that acceptances might be on their way, or they are sending them later? I mean no one has posted an acceptance so who knows?  Also at least you have an acceptance :) I'm still stuck in limbo...

By the way does anyone know what to do if waitlisted? Is there anything I can do like send an update with information that can help my application or idk a video crying and begging them to accept me?