Fall 2019 Applicants

1 hour ago, perpetualalligator said:

@LetsGetThisBread YES! It's been so slow and last year this week was so busy. It's so weird. I am starting to think that maybe the people getting offers are those who are not on thegradcafe 24/7 ?

I have had these exact thoughts and it's not doing much for my anxiety. ?

Ok so I talked to a friend who is in the PhD program at NYU and they said that around the top 5 bioanth candidates were invited to an interview weekend but that they thought that any Skype "interviews" before that were very informal. 

16 hours ago, pmcol said:

Hello Umairrasheed, going by last years decision, you can expect UMich, UChicacgo, and UofT to send out their decisions around early February (possibly the first week). From experience, I know Canadian applicants at UofT usually hear back earlier than international applicants - I'm not sure if this affects you. While for NYU, I am not sure, though it seems some interviews for the bioanth track have been sent out (but, I know this varies).

Good luck on your applications, fingers crossed!

Thank you. This is very helpful :) I have an offer from UIUC Sociology but I'm really looking forward to these anthro programs. Yeah fingers crossed. Good luck to you and others too. 

@pyramidstuds, it's easy to understand your anxiety, but in my experience that is not really a factor at all. I'd say nearly half of the students in my program have degrees in things other than anthropology--from English to Biology and Economics to Pre-Med. The type of degree you have (especially graduate degree) shouldn't significantly negatively affect your chances, in my opinion. It does--as all things do on this forum--depend on the program, but if faculty do what you do, or at least have peripheral interests in what you do, then you should be good. What might affect you more is whether or not you can write like you're in anthropology. Faculty has to be confident you'll be able to express your ideas and observations well and in an interesting narrative. I think some non-anthropologists can struggle with that and it seems to me that the majority of those in my program are definitively good writers (they're all certainly better than me!).

That's all to say, I don't think it should negatively affect your chances, but what it will boil down to is how interesting was the project you proposed, how do-able does it sound, and do you demonstrate the skills to perform it to the institution's standard. This is mostly in the writing sample and partially in the connections you've made with faculty (preferably more than one) leading up to and through applying. However, graduate level work in a Masters program, as much as any other qualification, can help demonstrate you have the ability to craft and perform a research project. So I don't think it can be a bad thing, regardless of what kind of Masters program it is.

@pmcol and @bonesandbakes, Penn doesn't require formal interviews, but usually does them when they need someone to be interested in something like a secondary adviser role (like someone that would be interested in advising the studying if the primary faculty member left) or when they're bringing people in off their informal wait-list. Not getting an interview doesn't mean much at this point, but I believe the department had the goal to make initial offers in the first week of February.

1 minute ago, RepatMan said:

@pmcol and @bonesandbakes, Penn doesn't require formal interviews, but usually does them when they need someone to be interested in something like a secondary adviser role (like someone that would be interested in advising the studying if the primary faculty member left) or when they're bringing people in off their informal wait-list. Not getting an interview doesn't mean much at this point, but I believe the department had the goal to make initial offers in the first week of February.

Ah, okay. Thank you @RepatMan for letting me know, it's much appreciated.

1 hour ago, RepatMan said:

Thanks @RepatMan, good to know! Good luck, @pmcol.

6 hours ago, RepatMan said:

@pyramidstuds, it's easy to understand your anxiety, but in my experience that is not really a factor at all. I'd say nearly half of the students in my program have degrees in things other than anthropology--from English to Biology and Economics to Pre-Med. The type of degree you have (especially graduate degree) shouldn't significantly negatively affect your chances, in my opinion. It does--as all things do on this forum--depend on the program, but if faculty do what you do, or at least have peripheral interests in what you do, then you should be good. What might affect you more is whether or not you can write like you're in anthropology. Faculty has to be confident you'll be able to express your ideas and observations well and in an interesting narrative. I think some non-anthropologists can struggle with that and it seems to me that the majority of those in my program are definitively good writers (they're all certainly better than me!).

That's all to say, I don't think it should negatively affect your chances, but what it will boil down to is how interesting was the project you proposed, how do-able does it sound, and do you demonstrate the skills to perform it to the institution's standard. This is mostly in the writing sample and partially in the connections you've made with faculty (preferably more than one) leading up to and through applying. However, graduate level work in a Masters program, as much as any other qualification, can help demonstrate you have the ability to craft and perform a research project. So I don't think it can be a bad thing, regardless of what kind of Masters program it is.

Thanks! Some of the programs' fine print asked for records of what anth classes I'd taken, or other specifics similar to that, which concerned me a bit because technically I've only taken 1 anth class, first year of undergrad. My masters subject is very interdisciplinary, with a mix of natural and social sciences, but I took a more social science track, with courses taught by anthropologists (and one of my LORs is from an anthropologist well know in our niche of the field). So I'm feeling okay about that. Can't change things at this point, anyway--that's a really good point about writing. I subbed different samples to different programs, but I do think my writing style fits...just to see if anyone wants me :) 

Hi guys. I'm applying from across the pond. Does anyone know if Stanford interviews all its sociocultural applicants? I'm aware it's still a bit early to have heard from them. Trying to factor in whether I can go away on holiday!

Best wishes to those of you still waiting like me.

hi guys. I'm new here. I'm so loving this forum. Anyways, I'm a grad student hopeful yet to take the GRE. Any tips from you forerunners?

Also, I've been finding it hard to assemble my PS, I need help with that. 

For those still awaiting acceptances, I wish you all the best of luck. 

2 hours ago, Ethy60 said:

hi guys. I'm new here. I'm so loving this forum. Anyways, I'm a grad student hopeful yet to take the GRE. Any tips from you forerunners?

Hey @Ethy60 welcome to the forum!

My advice for the GRE, take a good amount of time to prepare and study. It is advantageous to put as much focus on it as you can, which means, take studying for it seriously (I dedicated four mouths solely to it, but that is because I am not very good at these types of examinations). Gauge yourself, are you good at standardized tests? Are you weaker in vocabulary, writing, or math? I recommend taking a free test online or purchasing a testing book to determine your current ability. If you need help, seek it. Personally, I found an in-person tutor for the quantitative section quite helpful (there are so many tools out there, classes, tutors, books, blog posts, articles, etc.).

The GRE is costly, and I understand a lot of these study tools can add to that. In addition, you will be paying for applications (unless you are eligible for a waiver). Plan and take these costs into account. As well, prepare to take it again if necessary. For myself, I was not satisfied with my first results (158/154/4.5), so I decided to take it again. Unfortunately, my quantitative score remained the same, but I was able to improve in other areas.

In the end, you really know what is best for you. Trust in that. Whatever your situation is, find constructive ways to balance your academic ambitions and your personal life. If you have to work full or part-time, take into account exhaustion, both mental and physical, as burnout can be a real issue. Study smart and study healthy; I am sure you will do an incredible job!

Best of luck!

Edited by pmcol

Hey Y’all,

I went a little overboard and graphed all the decision data from the Fall 2018 cycle for the schools I’ve applied to, then decided someone else might find it interesting too. It’s not well done and is hard to decipher in the photographs (I felt like doing it by hand instead of on the computer for some reason), but you might find it interesting if you happen to have applied to any of these.

Y-Axis: Schools/Programs

-Binghamton SUNY

-Brown

-Cornell

-University of Oregon

-UVA

-Vanderbilt

-Vanderbilt Sociology (probably not helpful for any of y’all, but I originally made it for myself so…)

X-Axis: Dates

Color Codes:

-Green- acceptance notification

-Red- rejection notification

-Navy Blue- interview notification

-Pink- waitlist notification

Disclaimers:

*These include formal and informal interviews (anything anyone tagged as an interview on the results page)

*Only data from the Fall2018 cycle

*Sample way too small for most to have any significance whatsoever and admissions procedures can change year to year

*Obviously these data are all from the self-report page so it’s probably not terribly valid as a whole…

They're too large to attach but this is a link to the Google Drive Folder with them. If I had more time I'd do them digitally and go back 5 years, but I think I've maxed out my procrastination allowance today and need to get back to real work. 

4 hours ago, medanthrouk said:

Hi guys. I'm applying from across the pond. Does anyone know if Stanford interviews all its sociocultural applicants? I'm aware it's still a bit early to have heard from them. Trying to factor in whether I can go away on holiday!

Best wishes to those of you still waiting like me.

It looks like last year Stanford interview invites went out around February 7-9 with acceptances and rejections about a week later.

6 hours ago, Ethy60 said:

Hi @Ethy60! Don't want to disagree with @pmcol, but my experience was a bit different so I thought I'd share.

I studied hardcore the first time I took the GRE. Bought and read the whole Kaplan prep book, learned Greek and Latin roots for the verbal section, and did it all in the summer so I wouldn't be "distracted" by work back in school. The score I got was good the first time (v159/q161/w4.0), but I was disappointed because I got almost the exact same score as I got on a practice test I took before I started studying. I then took the advice of my professors and took it again. The second time, I was in school and didn't really have time to study, but somehow it worked out. I was doing more critical thinking in my every day with doing biochemistry homework and reading articles for my anthro classes. Even though I only cracked my prep book once between taking the GRE the first and second times (to read some examples of essays) my score improved quite a bit.

I guess my advice would be to take advantage of the "real life" critical thinking experiences that can prepare you for the GRE, rather than trying to memorize every piece of advice in a prep book (like I did the first time).

Hope this helped and good luck!

3 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

It looks like last year Stanford interview invites went out around February 7-9 with acceptances and rejections about a week later.

This wait is pretty killer. Sitting on an interview and a HARD rejection right now, so can’t even judge the gauge of how this whole process will end up 

Edited by LetsGetThisBread

I still think it's a mistake and it will be revoked or something...but I was accepted to UNC! I...I can't believe it. I thought there was no way. Went there for undergrad and will be thrilled to be back on campus. Go Heels!

10 minutes ago, pyramidstuds said:

I still think it's a mistake and it will be revoked or something...but I was accepted to UNC! I...I can't believe it. I thought there was no way. Went there for undergrad and will be thrilled to be back on campus. Go Heels!

Hey pyramidstuds, congratulations!

17 minutes ago, pmcol said:

Hey pyramidstuds, congratulations!

Thank you, @pmcol! I'm so grateful for this forum and the support through this excruciating process. Can't wait to see other decisions and to congratulate you! I am truly shocked and thought it was all over for me...I was being a horrible pessimist just a few days ago...I guess there's a lesson that it's not over 'til it's over--I wasn't sure my fit was strong enough here as with other programs, and I was wrong (in a good way!)

On 1/26/2019 at 4:27 PM, scarseed said:

Interesting. I am digging around and noticing that many of the bigger programs (Yale, Harvard) are running sort of late with interviews this year. Wonder if the shutdown could play any role in this? 

I apologize if this sounds ridiculously ignorant, I am not American, but how would the shutdown delay interviews for private universities like Harvard and Yale? I'm just curious and the delay compared to last year is killing me. I JUST WANT TO KNOW! Why can't schools at least be predictable when it comes to decision dates?

7 hours ago, pyramidstuds said:

Hahaha I know that feeling! Congrats!

Here’s to hoping not *EVERY* Chicago interview has gone out.

Hey all,

I have a skype interview with my potential advisor from CUNY this Friday. This is my first application cycle and I'm not entirely sure what to expect/prepare for in an unofficial interview with an advisor. I know were probably going to discuss how our research interests and ideas mesh, as well as specifics about her field site, but I was wondering if any of you who have more experience with this process than I do have any suggestions to help me prepare.

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, jp5125 said:

Hey all,

I have a skype interview with my potential advisor from CUNY this Friday. This is my first application cycle and I'm not entirely sure what to expect/prepare for in an unofficial interview with an advisor. I know were probably going to discuss how our research interests and ideas mesh, as well as specifics about her field site, but I was wondering if any of you who have more experience with this process than I do have any suggestions to help me prepare.

Thanks!

Hey @jp5125 congratulations and good luck!

I would take a gander through this thread: 

I think y'all will really start hearing back next week, based on how decision filtered in last season. Wishing the best for everyone, I hope everyone is admitted somewhere! :) Also, if anyone applied to Kent State, I think interview invites should go out later this week or next week.