emailing schools about lower GPA on CSDCAS

dSLP

Hi,

So I am very scared that the schools that just applied to won't even look at my application package. I just graduated with a 3.47 undergrad GPA (this is the GPA in my school's transcript) but CSDCAS takes into account all the previous schools I attended (years ago with very bad grades) and calculates the GPA differently. Unfortunately, bringing me down to a 2.9 overall GPA for CSDCAS. 

I am considering emailing the 6 schools that I just sent my application to. Has anyone done something like this before? any suggestions for me on what to say in the email to the graduate school admissions person? I'm not even sure who I will be contacting yet so I will look for this information on the schools' website that I applied to. But I was hoping I could get some advice from people that had their GPA lowered to less than 3.0 due to CSDCAS.

Thank you!

@dSLPI am in the same situation. Well, even worse because CSDCAS mixed in my ASL classes (from 10 years ago) with my COMD classes and my GPA in the field is 2.8! I don't know what to do.

Edited by Toya

Do they not calculate your gpa before you submit applications? I’m worried because I’m on the borderline with a 3.0. I won’t be applying until the end of 2019. 

I graduated with my master's. It can be done, but your choices might be limited. Also, don't just apply to CSDCAS schools, but use ASHA to find other schools. I think the schools on CSDCAS are more competitive. My undergrad school used percentages and not the 4.0 system used by CSDCAS which gave a 2.9.  I emailed over 200 schools to find out who is likely going to accept me. I got rejected by CSDCAS schools unfortunately, but got into others at that time. I think it's because my CSD GPA was a 4.0 so I highlighted that in my well-written and passionate personal statement which helped.

Edited by ImHis

3 hours ago, KEIM said:

Do they not calculate your gpa before you submit applications? I’m worried because I’m on the borderline with a 3.0. I won’t be applying until the end of 2019. 

You have to submit your first application in order for them to verify your application. "Verify" means calculate your GPA. My advice would be to take an easy class at a community college before you graduate to help with your cumulative GPA.

1 hour ago, Kandykane said:

How do you see your gpa after its been verified? I sent my app a few days ago and it got verfied. But im not sure how to check out the csdcas gpa?

How long did it take CSDCAS to verify your transcripts? To see your GPA go to "check status" then download the application.

I would state it on your cover letter that your GPA doesn't represent your full potential and that for the admissions committee to consider you as a whole. 

This would at least get their attention to look over WHY you might've achieved at a lower end compared to your colleagues (e.g., working full-time, first generation student, single mother, etc.).