Audiology 2019 Canada

Audiology2019

23 hours ago, sh. said:

Wait-listed at Western... So nerve-wracking :(

I was waitlisted at Western last year and was offered admission this year:) hopefully you get off this waitlist this year, if not then just re-apply with an improved application. 

Hey everyone, 

This is my second round of applications. I originally applied for Fall 2017 admission at Dal, UOW and University of Cork in Ireland. I didn't get in anywhere. 

I received notice from Western that I was not offered admission this year. This year I believe they are accepting 30 students. Still waiting to hear from Dal and Cork. Fingers crossed. 

Congrats to everyone thus far!

14 minutes ago, haleym said:

Hey everyone, 

This is my second round of applications. I originally applied for Fall 2017 admission at Dal, UOW and University of Cork in Ireland. I didn't get in anywhere. 

I received notice from Western that I was not offered admission this year. This year I believe they are accepting 30 students. Still waiting to hear from Dal and Cork. Fingers crossed. 

Congrats to everyone thus far!

Goodluck with your remaining applications! Hopefully you get in somewhere :) 

I've been waitlisted at UWO. I'll probably tell them to take me off the wait list since I have been accepted to other programs. So if you're put on waitlist at UWO, you might get a lucky phone call after April 15 since there is one fewer person to compete in the candidate pool. 

I'm still deciding between UBC and a couple other US programs. I toured both programs in the States last week and I have to admit that it made the decision making process more difficult. More didactic courses and clinical experience are very tempting, as well as all the opportunities as a student and clinician. But I am worried about student loan I'll graduate with as I am not 24 year old and it will be easier for my husband to move with me. So, I am very likely to accept UBC's offer in the end. If you're planning to attend UBC, holla at me. ?

2 hours ago, haleym said:

Those who have heard back from Dal, did you check your online account? Mine says "Written notification to follow", I haven't received anything yet. 

I got accepted on Monday and my online account still says “written notification to follow”... I’ve found they’ve been very lazy with updating the account though. They took ages to update that they received all of my application documents.

27 minutes ago, FutureAudiologist said:

I got accepted on Monday and my online account still says “written notification to follow”... I’ve found they’ve been very lazy with updating the account though. They took ages to update that they received all of my application documents.

Thanks for following up! I had issues two years ago with administration and  my application... I received a rejection letter for the SLP program.. not Audiology, when I phoned to inquire, they just said "you're still rejected, it was an administrative error". I was not pleased! 

1 hour ago, haleym said:

Thanks for following up! I had issues two years ago with administration and  my application... I received a rejection letter for the SLP program.. not Audiology, when I phoned to inquire, they just said "you're still rejected, it was an administrative error". I was not pleased! 

Wow...I would be annoyed about that too. My fingers are crossed for you for this year!!

On 4/2/2019 at 11:43 PM, Aud111 said:

I was waitlisted at Western last year and was offered admission this year:) hopefully you get off this waitlist this year, if not then just re-apply with an improved application. 

Hey! I got waitlisted at Western this year. If I don't get in I plan on reapplying next year, so I was wondering if you had any tips on how to improve my application?

Congratulation to everyone that has gotten in! And good luck to those waiting. I got accepted to Western. This was my second year applying so don't fret to those who haven't gotten in just yet. My friend and I have started a facebook page called "Western Audiology 2019-2021" for those interested :)

On 4/7/2019 at 6:26 PM, Jas123 said:

Hey! I got waitlisted at Western this year. If I don't get in I plan on reapplying next year, so I was wondering if you had any tips on how to improve my application?

Hey! This year I tried to shadow two audiologists that work with two different age groups so I got more shadowing hours and I also did some volunteering with seniors. For academics I repeated one of the pre-requisite courses to improve my mark because it seemed like they weigh those courses heavily. I think extracurriculars and the statement of intent are heavily weighted as well,  so try to really work on those and emphasize why you are passionate about audiology. 

Good luck and hopefully it will work out for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Western waitlist gang, a little update. I called Janet to ask how many students have accepted their offer so far and she said all the spots were filled (many that were offered admission accepted their offer and a few on the wait list were offered admission and they accepted too). 

Do you guys know if they actually don’t tell you your place on the wait list, like how they said in the email? I’m so tempted to ask but it was written in bold...

• 1 month later...

Hello, I am interested in applying to the Western Audiology program for Fall 2020 start. I am wondering how you guys got your 14 hours of clinical experience, I have reached out to audiologists/ clinics and I haven't had any luck, I am in Toronto if that provides any context. Any help on how to get those clinical hours would be greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 10:38 AM, aesw said:

Hello, I am interested in applying to the Western Audiology program for Fall 2020 start. I am wondering how you guys got your 14 hours of clinical experience, I have reached out to audiologists/ clinics and I haven't had any luck, I am in Toronto if that provides any context. Any help on how to get those clinical hours would be greatly appreciated!

I was offered admission at Dal but a few years ago I had a similar issue with finding clinician hours. I was approaching Audiologists with "volunteer hours" and did not hear much back but when I switched my phrasing to "shadow hours" I was instantly received with opportunities. I hope this helps! Good luck and don't give up!! 

• 4 weeks later...

Ok be as brutally honest as you can. My gpa sucks right now (3.08 on a 4.33 scale) and I don’t have experience/volunteer hours with an audiologist. I’m currently at TRU as a Psyc major and haven’t done any science/phys courses at all. Right now I’m set to graduate in June 2020 after I complete the fall semester. I still need to upgrade my math and phys to take the uni phys required; I believe I need both LING offered at TRU to be equivalent to UBC’s LING and all of the UBCs other prereqs that you need to take through them to be completed. I haven’t thought about applying to Dalhousie or western because I doubt I’d get in to UBC anyways. But what’s your guys honest opinion of my chances of getting IF i did complete everything needed.

• 1 year later...
On 4/1/2019 at 3:06 PM, sh. said:

Congrats to everyone who got their acceptances!! Western's offer could be coming out tonight (I read from previous forums that ORPAS releases offers at 12am). 

I applied for Sept 2021. Im sooo anxious what time did you end up getting your offer??