Help!!! How should I respond to this PhD offer?

denmok

I received a PhD offer last weekend but the professor keeps sending me email after sending out the offer asking if I am able to join the lab. It is still too early for April 15th and I am waiting for other schools

I don't know how to respond to the professor's email. I received one of these emails yesterday and one more early this morning.

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5712.jpg

Edited by Andrea Xiao

that's a little coercive, me thinks? IDK, I'd talk to a seasoned professor in your school, if you know someone whose insight you trust, because you 100% should have the time to make an informed decision, especially if the program's deadline is not til April. It's a little unfair that they're making it sound like a 'now or never' deal

That is weird, I’d have to say. You have the right to consider your offer until 4/15, unless other specific dates were specified from the school you were admitted. If it were me, I would politely reply to the professor that you are still waiting for some other results from other schools, and would appreciate if you could get a bit more time to think about your decision. 

But if you are quite sure that you want to work with that professor and if that’s your best choice, I say accept the offer. No good in having an arguement with your future advisor. 

52 minutes ago, Andrea Xiao said:

I received a PhD offer last weekend but the professor keeps sending me email after sending out the offer asking if I am able to join the lab. It is still too early for April 15th and I am waiting for other schools

I don't know how to respond to the professor's email. I received one of these emails yesterday and one more early this morning.

IMG_5701.jpg

IMG_5712.jpg

Red flag to me - professors should understand that you'll be waiting on other programs in the coming weeks. Did you have a chance to speak with this person's grad students to get a feel for their supervision style?

That is weird they are being so pushy. I would say something along the lines of "Thank you for the offer I am very excited at the opportunity. I am currently waiting to hear from other institutions in order to make the most informed decision based on a multitude of factors (funding etc). I will be sure to get back to you as soon as possible and well before the APA set deadline of April 15th. Thank you again for the offer and your patience in the process."

But again, red flag, they should know you have until April 15th and can't do anything to force you to do it sooner.

I'm late on this, but here are my thoughts:

It's reasonable for them to want you to acknowledge that you've received the offer, but it's not reasonable for them to expect you to accept immediately. The multiple emails are weird too.

This seems like a red flag that this person could be terrible to spend 5+ years working closely with.

But it also seems like it would be an even bigger red flag if they don't respond well to you saying you need more time to make a decision.

This also sets a sort of precedent for the entirely of your relationship with them. Like, it would probably be good if they knew you set reasonably boundaries around things like this.