Hunter Silberman School Fall 2019 Admissions

ML878

12 hours ago, Jberridge said:

I used to live in East Harlem last year, actually right around the corner from Silberman, and I used to love this BBQ spot called Harley's Smokeshack, its on 116th between 1st and 2nd, great food and a really chill vibe, so that's an option. But, i'm down for whatever others are in the mood for/other suggestions too! I'm sure we'll figure something out in person.

I'm down too!

Hi guys. I checked my application status and it says Pending for Interview. They have not contacted me yet to schedule one but I guess they will soon. Maybe I should also reach out to them. Anyway, since I am not in the US, I will ask for a skype interview. Anybody here had a skype interview? How did it go and what did they ask? I reckon that this may be different from the in-person interview which was a group one and the skype one would be individual?

Does anyone know if attending the accepted students day and pre-orientation are mandatory? The description for both events are exactly the same too so I’m just wondering what the difference is. I just realized the email with the dates was in my spam and it’s too short notice for me to be able to attend accepted students day! What do you guys think? I emailed Juliana Lopez but haven’t heard anything back yet. 

11 hours ago, Stephanie592 said:

Does anyone know if attending the accepted students day and pre-orientation are mandatory? The description for both events are exactly the same too so I’m just wondering what the difference is. I just realized the email with the dates was in my spam and it’s too short notice for me to be able to attend accepted students day! What do you guys think? I emailed Juliana Lopez but haven’t heard anything back yet. 

I had asked someone in the office and it didn’t sound like either were strictly mandatory, but she highly encouraged me to attend both, or at least pre-orientation. I think pre-orientation is more important, since they’ll review class registration stuff. Accepted students day seems more for networking/connecting purposes (from my understanding!) 

2 hours ago, ML878 said:

I had asked someone in the office and it didn’t sound like either were strictly mandatory, but she highly encouraged me to attend both, or at least pre-orientation. I think pre-orientation is more important, since they’ll review class registration stuff. Accepted students day seems more for networking/connecting purposes (from my understanding!) 

Okay great I can probably make it to pre-orientation at least. Thank you!

10 hours ago, ML878 said:

Hey! So you were were correct. Here’s the response from Juliana Lopez below in case anyone else is wondering the same!

Accepted Students Day is more of a social event to meet other students and faculty. Pre-Orientation is designed to guide you in registering for classes and provide you information on what to expect for your field placement.

We encourage you to attend both. If you can’t attend Pre-Orientation please let me know and I will send you an electronic guide.”

Hi all! I'm currently pending for an interview for the clinical track, but I currently go to school approximately 5 1/2 hours away from Hunter (Upstate NY). I requested a Skype interview, but I am nervous I will not be granted one since I am still technically in the "tri-state area". Has anybody had to deal with this? Also if anyone can give any tips about their Skype interview in the chance that I am granted one, that would be great!!

17 hours ago, tpg13 said:

Could someone who went to orientation post what was shared? I had to miss it due to work and didn't get a reply from the office about catch up material! 

FYI Accepted students day: you really didn’t need to go. The professors briefly talked about field of practices and then we were dismissed to mingle with each other (which was cool, but not crucial!)

Pre-orientation (I had mine 5/13): mainly discussed how to register for courses, field placements, and fin aid. Pretty useful, especially if you’ve never worked in the cuny first system before! See notes below: 

Hunter Important Dates:
    ◦    May 16- class registration begins
    ◦    Aug 30- mandatory field placement overview session
    ◦    Sept 9- field practicum starts

Let field placement form know when you’re gone during the summer because that’s when background checks happen

Within 2 weeks from today, we should hear from field placement advisor to set up in person or skype interview

3.0 gpa min to maintain federal loans (gpa and completion rate of completing courses on time)

For fin aid purposes: Professional judgment—you have a meeting to discuss changes in employment status. Not an easy process. Lots of forms to fill out.

Fwsjobs@hunter.cuny.edu (you fill out mock form and it’s a first come first serve basis)
Nextgen (where all jobs are available + where scholarships are)

Bursar (sends bill) vs Fin Aid (distributes loan)

17 minutes ago, ML878 said:

FYI Accepted students day: you really didn’t need to go. The professors briefly talked about field of practices and then we were dismissed to mingle with each other (which was cool, but not crucial!)

Pre-orientation (I had mine 5/13): mainly discussed how to register for courses, field placements, and fin aid. Pretty useful, especially if you’ve never worked in the cuny first system before! See notes below: 

Hunter Important Dates:
    ◦    May 16- class registration begins
    ◦    Aug 30- mandatory field placement overview session
    ◦    Sept 9- field practicum starts

Let field placement form know when you’re gone during the summer because that’s when background checks happen

Within 2 weeks from today, we should hear from field placement advisor to set up in person or skype interview

3.0 gpa min to maintain federal loans (gpa and completion rate of completing courses on time)

For fin aid purposes: Professional judgment—you have a meeting to discuss changes in employment status. Not an easy process. Lots of forms to fill out.

Fwsjobs@hunter.cuny.edu (you fill out mock form and it’s a first come first serve basis)
Nextgen (where all jobs are available + where scholarships are)

Bursar (sends bill) vs Fin Aid (distributes loan)

Thank you SO much, this is very helpful! Did they give you any info re: class registration? Nervous because I have no idea how to sign up! 

Edited by tpg13

3 minutes ago, tpg13 said:

Thank you SO much, this is very helpful! Did they give you any info re: class registration? Nervous because I have no idea how to sign up! 

Yea, they spent a lot of time showing us how to navigate the cuny first system! They recommended adding courses to your shopping cart now, so you can quickly check out during registration tomorrow. Let me know if you have more questions about this, but you can find out what classes to register for on the part of the website that outlines the 2 year track curriculum (so we need to sign up for 5 classes: Human Behavior 1; Social Policy 1; Clinical Practice (or community organizing, if you’re not in that track); Field Practice Lab; and Field Practicum).

Hope that helps!

10 minutes ago, ML878 said:

Yea, they spent a lot of time showing us how to navigate the cuny first system! They recommended adding courses to your shopping cart now, so you can quickly check out during registration tomorrow. Let me know if you have more questions about this, but you can find out what classes to register for on the part of the website that outlines the 2 year track curriculum (so we need to sign up for 5 classes: Human Behavior 1; Social Policy 1; Clinical Practice (or community organizing, if you’re not in that track); Field Practice Lab; and Field Practicum).

Hope that helps!

Do you know where to check who's teaching the class and what time it is? I'm not finding that info online. Also, does everyone do field placement on the same 3 days a week? 

20 minutes ago, tpg13 said:

Do you know where to check who's teaching the class and what time it is? I'm not finding that info online. Also, does everyone do field placement on the same 3 days a week? 

I think the only way to figure out professors/times is by navigating the student center on cuny first and look under “search for classes”. I think there are pdf tutorials available, but your best bet would probably to just play around in the system. Look for Fall 2019 semester -> Hunter College -> School of Social Work and then input the following course numbers:

70150 Policy and Services I

71150 Human Behavior I

71700 Social work practice lab

72150 Clinical Practice I

76100 First Year Instruction

And yes, everyone does the M, W, F field placements from 9-5, though if you have other commitments/depending on agency needs, your times may vary. Classes are only Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Edited by ML878

Has anyone who had an interview last week received an admissions decision yet? How long after your interview did you hear back from admissions?

Thanks! 

Hi! First of all, congratulations to everyone who’s already been accepted! I just received my offer for an interview last night and I’m going in on Wednesday.

Can anyone shed any more light on what to expect? I’d love any feedback or tips you might have...

@haohevet the discussion was very relaxed and informal. Not a high stress situation, IMO. Most nerve wracking part was the writing sample but only because you only have 30 minutes to complete it.

Edited by cs5792

On 5/20/2019 at 8:47 AM, cs5792 said:

Any word on length of time between interview and admissions decision? 

I interviewed 2/26 and got my decision 3/13. It was about 2 weeks for me! I echo what everyone says and say keep checking the online portal and junk mail, mine was in there! 

Hi everyone! So very excited to meet you all. I was wondering if anyone has begun their field placement process yet and might have insight. I am waiting on a school year address but have at least narrowed down where I’m going to try to live, and was advised to submit with my intended borough/neighborhood. Has anyone found a data base or list on what placements are out there, or considered tailoring parts of  their resume and document to reflect what setting you’d like to be in? I’ve been working in a related field in California the past couple years and am coming back home to New York but must admit I’m pretty unfamiliar. It seems that they place you based on previous experience but I wasn’t able to attend the pre orientation.  

PS does anyone live in BK? Is the commute hellish for 9AM’s? (I know it’s a huge area and this is a hard question to answer) but where’s  everyone commuting from!?

14 hours ago, Zeppelin14 said:

Hi everyone! So very excited to meet you all. I was wondering if anyone has begun their field placement process yet and might have insight. I am waiting on a school year address but have at least narrowed down where I’m going to try to live, and was advised to submit with my intended borough/neighborhood. Has anyone found a data base or list on what placements are out there, or considered tailoring parts of  their resume and document to reflect what setting you’d like to be in? I’ve been working in a related field in California the past couple years and am coming back home to New York but must admit I’m pretty unfamiliar. It seems that they place you based on previous experience but I wasn’t able to attend the pre orientation.  

PS does anyone live in BK? Is the commute hellish for 9AM’s? (I know it’s a huge area and this is a hard question to answer) but where’s  everyone commuting from!?

Congrats on your acceptance!! To answer your questions, I didn’t end up tailoring my resume. I submitted my field placement form and my field advisor emailed me to set up a 20 min meeting to talk over the process. I haven’t had the meeting yet (it’ll take place in early June, so don’t know the details beyond that unfortunately). But it seems like we don’t have much options in our first year, so we’ll likely be placed depending on agency needs and proximity to where we live. I’m not aware of a database of placements, but maybe you can contact the field advisory office and ask? I’m from Queens, so the placement options probably differ from Brooklyn, but they’ll aim to place you no more than 1.5 hr commute from where you live. 

22 minutes ago, ML878 said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! To answer your questions, I didn’t end up tailoring my resume. I submitted my field placement form and my field advisor emailed me to set up a 20 min meeting to talk over the process. I haven’t had the meeting yet (it’ll take place in early June, so don’t know the details beyond that unfortunately). But it seems like we don’t have much options in our first year, so we’ll likely be placed depending on agency needs and proximity to where we live. I’m not aware of a database of placements, but maybe you can contact the field advisory office and ask? I’m from Queens, so the placement options probably differ from Brooklyn, but they’ll aim to place you no more than 1.5 hr commute from where you live. 

When did you hear from your field advisor? I sent in my form weeks ago and haven't heard anything!