Hunter Silberman School Fall 2019 Admissions

ML878

Just now, tpg13 said:

When did you hear from your field advisor? I sent in my form weeks ago and haven't heard anything! 

I sent my form in early May and I just heard from my advisor on 5/17. During the 5/13 pre-orientation meeting, we were told we should be hearing from our advisors in the next 2 weeks, so you should hear back sometime soon! FYI I’m a 2 year full time student. Advanced standing students should’ve heard from their field advisors already (though if you were just recently accepted, that may delay things).

Just now, ML878 said:

I sent my form in early May and I just heard from my advisor on 5/17. During the 5/13 pre-orientation meeting, we were told we should be hearing from our advisors in the next 2 weeks, so you should hear back sometime soon! FYI I’m a 2 year full time student. Advanced standing students should’ve heard from their field advisors already (though if you were just recently accepted, that may delay things).

I'm also 2 year! Thanks for your help. I clearly should have attended orientation haha

Has anyone who was interviewed on May 8 received an admissions decision yet?? Hunter is my first choice but I'm getting down to the wire and if I don't get in to Hunter I will be moving across the country.  Starting to feel very nervous about my timeline/planning a huge move.

Hello all, I would appreciate if someone could provide some direction with class registration. I just got accepted a few days ago and missed the orientations and have received info about registering. I've read the online PDFs and what has been written in this thread but when I go to put in the course # with all the other drop downs and then search, there are no results. For example, I put in the drop down "course number- Is exactly" 701 (for Social Welfare Policy & Services).  

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

25 minutes ago, KI246 said:

Hello all, I would appreciate if someone could provide some direction with class registration. I just got accepted a few days ago and missed the orientations and have received info about registering. I've read the online PDFs and what has been written in this thread but when I go to put in the course # with all the other drop downs and then search, there are no results. For example, I put in the drop down "course number- Is exactly" 701 (for Social Welfare Policy & Services).  

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Congrats on your acceptance!! I posted the notes I took during the pre-orientation so you can look for that in this thread. And I found that you need to search by the following numbers:

Look for Fall 2019 semester -> Hunter College -> School of Social Work and then input the following course numbers:

70150 Policy and Services I

71150 Human Behavior I

71700 Social work practice lab

72150 Clinical Practice I

76100 First Year Instruction

Hope that helps!

Edited by ML878

Any advanced standing student submitted field forms weeks ago and haven’t heard back?! Should I reach out to the field department .I received an email confirming the field department received it and will contact me ,but it’s been 3 weeks.

Any Advanced Standing students fill out forms and heard back from their advisor.What is the process?! What to expect from meeting with advisors?! What days do Advanced Standing students have internship?! I wish Silberman communicated better with newly admitted students in Advanced Standing track ?

Edited by ACMSW

23 hours ago, ML878 said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! I posted the notes I took during the pre-orientation so you can look for that in this thread. And I found that you need to search by the following numbers:

Look for Fall 2019 semester -> Hunter College -> School of Social Work and then input the following course numbers:

71150 Human Behavior I

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much, honestly didn't get this info and not sure I would have been informed of that. I really appreciate your response!

On 5/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, ML878 said:

71150 Human Behavior I

Hope that helps!

I appreciate this info SO much too, and I actually referenced your previous post to clear up how confused I was when I used the electronic guide’s course numbers to register for classes so thank you!! ? I had luck adding open courses with backups to my shopping cart on CUNY first and registering quickly at my assigned time. I still haven’t received a single email to my CUNY address. I’m taking class with Colleen Katz, Colleen Henry, Keneca Boyce and Stacey Lawrence. Good luck to everyone navigating!!! 

On 5/23/2019 at 6:15 PM, KI246 said:

Thank you so much, honestly didn't get this info and not sure I would have been informed of that. I really appreciate your response!

I did not feel this information was clear either, you are not alone! 

On 5/22/2019 at 7:23 AM, ML878 said:

Congrats on your acceptance!! To answer your questions, I didn’t end up tailoring my resume. I submitted my field placement form and my field advisor emailed me to set up a 20 min meeting to talk over the process. I haven’t had the meeting yet (it’ll take place in early June, so don’t know the details beyond that unfortunately). But it seems like we don’t have much options in our first year, so we’ll likely be placed depending on agency needs and proximity to where we live. I’m not aware of a database of placements, but maybe you can contact the field advisory office and ask? I’m from Queens, so the placement options probably differ from Brooklyn, but they’ll aim to place you no more than 1.5 hr commute from where you live. 

Awesome info, thanks so much! I have a friend who did clinical track at NYU Silver and got placed in the medical setting because that’s where she had experience. She has mentioned that she wished she advocated for herself more during her first semester to change her placement, and got so much more from second year placements because they were more aligned to what she wanted to pursue. I’m curious how much say we might have in getting the most of field. I made a note on my field doc of preferred setting because I felt it couldn’t hurt 

Edited by Zeppelin14

5 hours ago, Zeppelin14 said:

I appreciate this info SO much too, and I actually referenced your previous post to clear up how confused I was when I used the electronic guide’s course numbers to register for classes so thank you!! ? I had luck adding open courses with backups to my shopping cart on CUNY first and registering quickly at my assigned time. I still haven’t received a single email to my CUNY address. I’m taking class with Colleen Katz, Colleen Henry, Keneca Boyce and Stacey Lawrence. Good luck to everyone navigating!!! 

Glad this helped!! Yea, it definitely wasn’t clear to me why the 3 digit course codes I was originally entering wasn’t yielding results... wish they made it more clear!

And I’ve heard good things about Katz, Henry, and Lawrence! I’m taking a class with Katz as well (on Tuesdays at 2pm I think), so maybe we’re in the same one!

5 hours ago, Zeppelin14 said:

Awesome info, thanks so much! I have a friend who did clinical track at NYU Silver and got placed in the medical setting because that’s where she had experience. She has mentioned that she wished she advocated for herself more during her first semester to change her placement, and got so much more from second year placements because they were more aligned to what she wanted to pursue. I’m curious how much say we might have in getting the most of field. I made a note on my field doc of preferred setting because I felt it couldn’t hurt 

Oh that’s a good point, I’m interested in working in a medical setting so perhaps should’ve noted that in my field placement form too... Oh well, I’ll plan to just discuss with my advisor! And did you just create your email? I created mine in late April and didn’t receive anything for the longest time. But I’ve since received a few already, one from my field advisor last Monday, then 2 earlier this week. 

6 hours ago, abc4999 said:

Where can we access the field placement form? Just confirmed my acceptance!!

There’s a new students checklist site, that has more info on the field placement form:

https://sssw.hunter.cuny.edu/admissions/newly-accepted-students/

Congrats on your acceptance and hope to see you around!! :)

On 5/24/2019 at 1:01 PM, Molly.h said:

I still haven't been contacted at all ?

They haven't even seen my application yet and every time i reach out they say the same thing.

Hey, I'm having the same problem only difference is that my application says there's a hold on it. I emailed them but they haven't replied, I plan on calling them next since my application was done around the end of March. My friend who applied around the same time has already been accepted and idk why mines is taking forever but its really starting to worry me especially since Hunter is my first choice. 

On 5/29/2019 at 8:23 AM, jennyr1995 said:

Hey, I'm having the same problem only difference is that my application says there's a hold on it. I emailed them but they haven't replied, I plan on calling them next since my application was done around the end of March. My friend who applied around the same time has already been accepted and idk why mines is taking forever but its really starting to worry me especially since Hunter is my first choice. 

In my expirience they never answer their emails. I have been able to get in contact with enrollment services a few times but they always say the same thing. My application was also completed at the end of March. I'm starting to worry too specially because they haven't even looked at mine. 

2 hours ago, Molly.h said:

In my expirience they never answer their emails. I have been able to get in contact with enrollment services a few times but they always say the same thing. My application was also completed at the end of March. I'm starting to worry too specially because they haven't even looked at mine. 

I got to chat with someone and they told me the hold was because someone wants to consult with someone else about an aspect on my application but that it would be removed. I don’t understand why it’s taking so long since my friend did the same steps as I did and was accepted almost a month ago and she submitted her application around the same time as well. The next thing I plan on doing is calling because I’ve been waiting too long and am anxious to know whether I got in or not. 

Is there anyone still waiting on a response for an interview or whether you were accepted or not? My application was finalized at the end of March but I still haven't heard anything as of today. When I look at my application, it says hold and I'm not exactly sure why. I plan on calling this afternoon but am extremely anxious now being as Hunter is my first choice and I've been waiting for two months now to hear something. 

Hey all, I've got a question about taking non-matriculated courses. I e-mailed Silberman a while back about it, but they never got back to me so I'm hoping that maybe someone here might know. I want to apply to take non-matriculated courses but I wouldn't be able to come to campus at the times those specific offerings are. Does anyone know if it's possible for non-matriculated courses to be taken online?

Hey All, I just wanted to assist anyone who is still going through the interview process. I know they are still interviewing into June. When I got there the setting was in a conference room with the other applicants at the table and the interviewer. My interviewer asked about 4 questions, case scenario and then writing sample. The 4 questions were more on the generic side but of course you had to apply them to your professional experience (ie, how you handle constructive criticism, how you will have handle the program and why you chose the program). The case scenario was obviously a what would we do in said situation (very simple) Like others stated the article was 3.5 pages about university and agency relationship and how it impacts individuals and families. You're only required to write 2 paragraphs and you get about 20-25 minutes. It was pretty relaxed for the most part but difficult to tell how the interviewer feels. We got to ask questions in the end. 

Hey guys, an update: 

After calling the admissions office they changed my status on my application from "hold" to "pending interview". I received an email for an interview last week Wednesday and the only available day was Thursday at 11am or 5pm, I chose the morning slot. The interview in itself wasn't bad, pretty much what everyone on the thread has mentioned and there were only 4 of us. The writing part on the other hand was a bit difficult and is definitely making me worried but I am still keeping my hopes up! How long did it usually take for you guys to hear back after going for the interview? 

On 6/17/2019 at 1:04 PM, jennyr1995 said:

Hey guys, an update: 

After calling the admissions office they changed my status on my application from "hold" to "pending interview". I received an email for an interview last week Wednesday and the only available day was Thursday at 11am or 5pm, I chose the morning slot. The interview in itself wasn't bad, pretty much what everyone on the thread has mentioned and there were only 4 of us. The writing part on the other hand was a bit difficult and is definitely making me worried but I am still keeping my hopes up! How long did it usually take for you guys to hear back after going for the interview? 

Hey, I'd had my interview online in May. Surprisingly, I'd actually heard back in 2 days. Although, I'm not sure if that's the average time for everyone else too. I got in :) 
I was also very worried about my writing sample since it was difficult. But I guess they just want to get a sense of our writing, instead of a specific accuracy of that article. Hope this helps and keep us posted!