Jump to content
ML878

Hunter Silberman School Fall 2019 Admissions

Recommended Posts

I haven’t seen a thread started for fall 2019 yet, so decided to create one so we can anxiously wait on decisions together. :)

 

I applied for the full time clinical track in late December (12/28 specifically) and was hoping the sooner I applied the sooner I’d hear back...but no such luck. Has anyone heard anything yet? I’m thinking of reaching out in the next few days or so, to see when we can expect to hear back. UMich is requiring a decision by 3/15 so I’d really love to hear back from Hunter well before that date!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied mid January and have not heard back yet either. Hunter is known to be pretty slow. They're more cash strapped so their admin staff is leaner than somewhere like NYU. From what I've gathered on other posts / forums, the bulk of interviews / acceptances happen in March, with some in late Feb, and not uncommon to hear back in April (but imagine you would be earlier since you applied earlier, unless your application is on the border). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MSWFall2019 said:

I applied mid January and have not heard back yet either. Hunter is known to be pretty slow. They're more cash strapped so their admin staff is leaner than somewhere like NYU. From what I've gathered on other posts / forums, the bulk of interviews / acceptances happen in March, with some in late Feb, and not uncommon to hear back in April (but imagine you would be earlier since you applied earlier, unless your application is on the border). 

Thanks for your reply—that makes sense why it’ll take longer to hear back from Hunter. I’m just glad to know others haven’t heard back either. I was worried that that may mean a rejection at this point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied in late November and my application was complete as of December 6th. I emailed them about a week and a half ago and they told me that it takes them about 8 weeks to go through an application so I should be hearing back in the next week. I still haven't heard anything and it's going on 10 weeks at this point. I'm getting frustrated at this point since I've had everything in for about 2 months

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 18coffees said:

I applied in late November and my application was complete as of December 6th. I emailed them about a week and a half ago and they told me that it takes them about 8 weeks to go through an application so I should be hearing back in the next week. I still haven't heard anything and it's going on 10 weeks at this point. I'm getting frustrated at this point since I've had everything in for about 2 months

Wow, you submitted your materials really early! That is so frustrating that you still haven’t heard back. I was thinking maybe they wanted to wait until they had a large enough pool for the group interview...but it seems more likely the delay is due to limited admin support. 

Is Hunter your first choice? And for any other schools you may have been accepted into, do you need to give a decision any time soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ML878 said:

Wow, you submitted your materials really early! That is so frustrating that you still haven’t heard back. I was thinking maybe they wanted to wait until they had a large enough pool for the group interview...but it seems more likely the delay is due to limited admin support. 

Is Hunter your first choice? And for any other schools you may have been accepted into, do you need to give a decision any time soon?

No Hunter is not my first choice so I'm not THAT concerned about it yet. I have to give Fordham a decision by early March (the 5th I believe).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 11:59 AM, 18coffees said:

No Hunter is not my first choice so I'm not THAT concerned about it yet. I have to give Fordham a decision by early March (the 5th I believe).

Hello! I applied to both Fordham and Hunter mid -January. I've been accepted at Fordham and also have to respond by March 5th. Haven't heard anything from Hunter. I wrote to make sure they did not need anything else from me and was assured that my application is being reviewed. Stress!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys! 

I applied to hunter Jan 31st and Columbia yesterday. I’m actually at Hunter already in my last semester of undergrad, and I’m waiting on them to make a correction to my transcript so I can send those out to complete my applications. Mostly just wanted to say hi! But also wondering what other schools people applied to? What your first choice is? How much relevant experience do you have? 

 

Im pretty sure Hunter is my first choice because of price, and don’t have a lot of experience outside of two volunteer positions one with peer educator organization and another at a youth development program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Jberridge said:

Hi guys! 

I applied to hunter Jan 31st and Columbia yesterday. I’m actually at Hunter already in my last semester of undergrad, and I’m waiting on them to make a correction to my transcript so I can send those out to complete my applications. Mostly just wanted to say hi! But also wondering what other schools people applied to? What your first choice is? How much relevant experience do you have? 

 

Im pretty sure Hunter is my first choice because of price, and don’t have a lot of experience outside of two volunteer positions one with peer educator organization and another at a youth development program. 

i also applied to Columbia super last min! not alone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jberridge said:

Hi guys! 

I applied to hunter Jan 31st and Columbia yesterday. I’m actually at Hunter already in my last semester of undergrad, and I’m waiting on them to make a correction to my transcript so I can send those out to complete my applications. Mostly just wanted to say hi! But also wondering what other schools people applied to? What your first choice is? How much relevant experience do you have? 

 

Im pretty sure Hunter is my first choice because of price, and don’t have a lot of experience outside of two volunteer positions one with peer educator organization and another at a youth development program. 

Hi! I’m 4 years out of undergrad (majored in psych and sociology) and am currently working at a policy research firm, so not super relevant to direct service work. But I’ve done a lot of volunteering and have been interested in going back for medical social work for awhile. I applied to a bunch of other schools in addition to Hunter (UMich, Boston, Pittsburgh, SUNY Albany). And am still waiting to hear back from most of them. I was accepted to UM but it’s pretty pricy so I’m not sure if I can afford to go. Hunter is the most affordable option, so it’d be great to get in, but I also don’t know if I want to remain in the city haha.... wishing you the best of luck and hoping your last semester is going well!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting on an e-mail of rejection or for interview to come in. Applied on 1/30, officially completed on 1/31 the day before the application deadline. I was just accepted to Fordham and have a month to give them an answer so I'm hoping that they start sending out responses soon so that I know if they are really going to be an option for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BGA0427 said:

I'm still waiting on an e-mail of rejection or for interview to come in. Applied on 1/30, officially completed on 1/31 the day before the application deadline. I was just accepted to Fordham and have a month to give them an answer so I'm hoping that they start sending out responses soon so that I know if they are really going to be an option for me.

Yea I’m really hoping to hear one way or another from Hunter soon... I’ve heard of others asking for extensions on enrollment deposits, so you may want to try that if waiting is cutting too close to the deadline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MayorBobbledoodery said:

Hi guys I was notified of my acceptance via email last Thursday!

 

If they didn't include any information about financial aids (specifically grants/scholarships), should I assume I didn't qualify for any?

Congrats!!! Hoping you could let us know when you applied and for what track (regular or advanced track?) and when your interview was, just so we can get a feel for the timeline. And Hunter may be sending the fin aid info separately, but I’m not sure how they usually handle it.

It’s awesome to know people are starting to hear back from Hunter!

Edited by ML878

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied on Jan.14th for the regular track and did not interview. 

They want my decision by March 1st so I feel like I would have fin aid info by now. I think I'm going to call and ask for a deadline extension because I've only heard back from one other school (out of 8 total).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MayorBobbledoodery said:

I applied on Jan.14th for the regular track and did not interview. 

They want my decision by March 1st so I feel like I would have fin aid info by now. I think I'm going to call and ask for a deadline extension because I've only heard back from one other school (out of 8 total).

I emailed Hunter this morning asking them when we can expect to receive notifications and then funny enough, just received an email letting me know my decision was ready—I checked the application portal site and my acceptance was dated 2/19/19. I also didn’t have to go in for a group interview. I’m pretty surprised about that, because I thought an interview was a required part of the process, but I’m sure not complaining!

The notification said an official acceptance letter would be sent soon, and that will contain the deadline for enrollment. @MayorBobbledoodery Could you let us know when you hear about fin aid? I imagine my deadline for acceptance will be sometime early March too, but I would definitely want to know fin aid info beforehand. 

Good luck to everyone else who’s waiting!

 

 

Edited by ML878

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ML878 said:

I emailed Hunter this morning asking them when we can expect to receive notifications and then funny enough, just received an email letting me know my decision was ready—I checked the application portal site and my acceptance was dated 2/19/19. I also didn’t have to go in for a group interview. I’m pretty surprised about that, because I thought an interview was a required part of the process, but I’m sure not complaining!

The notification said an official acceptance letter would be sent soon, and that will contain the deadline for enrollment. @MayorBobbledoodery Could you let us know when you hear about fin aid? I imagine my deadline for acceptance will be sometime early March too, but I would definitely want to know fin aid info beforehand. 

Good luck to everyone else who’s waiting!

 

 

Did you apply for the 2 year program? That's so odd. I know a few people that have received their MSW degrees from Hunter and all of them had to go through an interview process. I'm still (not so) patiently waiting. I think I'm going to send an e-mail tomorrow to see if I can get an estimate as to when they plan on sending information out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BGA0427 said:

Did you apply for the 2 year program? That's so odd. I know a few people that have received their MSW degrees from Hunter and all of them had to go through an interview process. I'm still (not so) patiently waiting. I think I'm going to send an e-mail tomorrow to see if I can get an estimate as to when they plan on sending information out.

Yep, I did apply for the 2 year program. And yes, everyone I know who applied to Hunter in previous years had to go through an interview. I’m not sure if they’ve changed up the process this year or something... I did also apply pretty early (late December). It’d be interesting to hear if anyone else has also skipped the interview step. 

Hopefully they’ll let you know when you can expect to hear back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ML878 said:

Yep, I did apply for the 2 year program. And yes, everyone I know who applied to Hunter in previous years had to go through an interview. I’m not sure if they’ve changed up the process this year or something... I did also apply pretty early (late December). It’d be interesting to hear if anyone else has also skipped the interview step. 

Hopefully they’ll let you know when you can expect to hear back!

Congrats on making it in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, really surprised to hear decisions, especially without interviews have started to go out! Reading last years' threads, I wasn't expecting anything until mid March. I just logged into my account and it says "FINAL DECISION" but doesn't let me click or see anything other than my already complete application. I can't remember if it said that the last time I logged in? I submitted my application on Nov 30. I'm hoping to get a response soon, I'm flying to NY from FL in under 2 weeks to visit schools and it would be really helpful to know if I was accepted before spending the time at Hunter.

Does anyone have experience coordinating a visit with admissions? I called the other day and was left on hold then hung up on, so I sent an email instead and have yet to get a response...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, asr13b said:

Wow, really surprised to hear decisions, especially without interviews have started to go out! Reading last years' threads, I wasn't expecting anything until mid March. I just logged into my account and it says "FINAL DECISION" but doesn't let me click or see anything other than my already complete application. I can't remember if it said that the last time I logged in? I submitted my application on Nov 30. I'm hoping to get a response soon, I'm flying to NY from FL in under 2 weeks to visit schools and it would be really helpful to know if I was accepted before spending the time at Hunter.

Does anyone have experience coordinating a visit with admissions? I called the other day and was left on hold then hung up on, so I sent an email instead and have yet to get a response...

The final decision was definitely a new addition—I didn’t see it when I first submitted my application and I checked a few weeks ago and also didn’t see anything. If you’re seeing it, I think you’ll probably hear a decision soon too (unless you’ll have to go through the interview process?) 

Hunter doesn’t seem to be very good at answering emails promptly, if at all (at least the ones I’ve sent out). Perhaps others have a different experience though! Hopefully you can coordinate something though, to make your trip to NY even more productive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, asr13b said:

Wow, really surprised to hear decisions, especially without interviews have started to go out! Reading last years' threads, I wasn't expecting anything until mid March. I just logged into my account and it says "FINAL DECISION" but doesn't let me click or see anything other than my already complete application. I can't remember if it said that the last time I logged in? I submitted my application on Nov 30. I'm hoping to get a response soon, I'm flying to NY from FL in under 2 weeks to visit schools and it would be really helpful to know if I was accepted before spending the time at Hunter.

Does anyone have experience coordinating a visit with admissions? I called the other day and was left on hold then hung up on, so I sent an email instead and have yet to get a response...

When I log in it says the same. It was definitely not on there earlier today so I think it means we should be getting responses back soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all!

Just checked the status of my app and it says “pending interview,” (I applied for the two year program) but no email yet. Looks like they will be interviewing some of us... post if you hear anything back from Admissions!

Edited by mongreyami

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.